Respected Contributor

Re: Toothpaste. What do you use and why?

@Moonlady wrote:

@Montana

That ingredient was most likely SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)which is a gum and soft tissue irritant to those susceptible. Some even get canker sores attributable to this ingredient.

Thankfully, there are a number of SLS-free toothpastes from which to choose.

Mint is in so many tooth products and that irritates me too.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

download (4).jpeg

I've always liked to "switch up" toothpastes, so we have a lot on hand. (DH couldn't care less.)

The only must for me, is that the toothpaste not burn or cause sloughing; many of them do, and there's no need for that. And it doesn't make them more effective.

For subtle whitening, I like Opalescence. Another good, all-around toothpaste is Crest with Scope.

I like Crest Pro Health, too, but this contains stannous fluoride which, though very helpful in preventing cavities, eliminating gum toxins, and remineralizing teeth, can stain teeth, especially between the teeth. (And any toothpaste with stannous fluoride must state that on the package AND tube.) Manufacturers also state that their toothpastes also include a whitening agent to counteract the staining effect of stannous fluoride. But that doesn't work for everyone.

stain.jpeg

tooth-discoloration-925x425.jpg

This staining, though extrinsic, is more difficult to remove, but dentists can do it. 

I haven't noticed any staining yet, but I'd stop using stannous fluoride toothpastes if I ever did. Sodium fluoride has done the trick for me for most of my adult life-I've never had a cavity, and my gums have always been in great shape. As far as remineralization goes, ACP (amorphous calcium phosphate) is added to many toothpastes for that purpose. One of the first to use ACP was Enamelon--one of the first remineralizing toothpastes. Sadly, this wasn't effectively marketed, and disappeared about 25 years ago. (Today's "Enamelon" is in no way related to the original.)

I also brush regularly with plain baking soda, which can also help with tooth stains...to which anyone who's ever used it to remove tea stains from a cup can attest lol.

In any event, there are plenty of choices among toothpastes (too many, some might say), so there's something for everyone.

@Moonlady 

Oh, great.  I just ordered a paste with stannous fluoride. Woman Sad

(I've used baking soda on my tea mugs.  But most of my teas are sturdy blacks, so bleach is also helpful.  Magic Eraser works, too.  Wonder if it works on teeth...)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I've never had my teeth get yellow from using any stannous fluoride products. I think that just depends on your enamel and if you use a whitening product, which I do...Intelliwhite Platinum pen from HSN with my custom trays.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ just bee

LOL There is nothing wrong with stannous fluoride!

When I was young, it was the "new thing" and was added to most toothpastes. Crest led the way with its FLUORISTAN. It's HIGHLY effective against cavities (even root caries, which can be a concern for those with severely recessed gums), bacteria, and is a great desensitizer ( though it works differently from potassium nitrate for that) and remineralizer.

Stannous fluoride fell out of favor because of its tendency to stain teeth (no, the brown stains had nothing to do with one's enamel), and its metallic taste (tin>SN>stannum). It was also an expensive additive.

Leave it to Crest, again, to be among the first to add an ingredient to counter the staining, and to work their magic by flavoring to reduce the metallic aftertaste. Believe me, today's stannous fluoride is a LOT less distasteful than yesterday's was.

As for the staining, you just have to be alert. Some report a gradual yellowing, while others say they've awakened to brown stains, mainly between the teeth. (Clorhexidene in some mouthwashes can cause even more brown staining throughout the surface of the teeth.)

I haven't noticed this, and you probably won't, either. If you do, just stop using it, or use it less often, and it can be removed at your next dental appointment.

Stannous fluoride is so effective, especially for those to whom it's targeted, that you can be sure manufacturers (especially Crest) are always one step ahead to address any staining issues which might affect an unacceptable number of users.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

I use tooth powder. I'm an old lady and my dentist says my teeth are perfect, don't even need cleaning/polishing. Gums are in perfect condition.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I use tooth powder. I'm an old lady and my dentist says my teeth are perfect, don't even need cleaning/polishing. Gums are in perfect condition.

@catwhisperer 

Which brand of tooth powder do you use?

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer 

Which brand of tooth powder do you use?

@ Montana....Eco-Dent Daily Care Baking Soda Tooth Powder

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Tom's.  I don't use the other brands.  Just old Toms

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer 

Thanks for the information. I ordered the kid's version in strawberry.  Most of the regular products contain mint and that usually irritates my mouth.  Cinnamon is also a no.

I did see a few other flavors that might work: anise and lemon-lime. I'll probably give them a try too.

Honored Contributor

I use Dr. Ginger's Coconut Mint w/White Charcoal toothpaste.  It tastes fabulous and really whitens my teeth.  I'm a coffee, iced tea, red wine drinker & won't be without this.

22AEBD42-DD1F-4BC3-BB70-967BA204446D.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.