Honored Contributor
On 3/6/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

This is going to sound mean, and that really isn't my intent, but what I notice is that at a distance the models look very beautiful, but on close up shots many of them really don't have very good skin. The heavy makeup application (or maybe it's the product more than the actual application) often accentuates rather than hides the imperfections.

Sometimes all the makeup they wear can contribute to skin problems. As far as trying to cover up imperfections, I am trying to use less to cover mine, but it is difficult when you are self conscious about your skin. I have switched from a regular foundation to a tinted moisturizer with a bit of concealer as needed. I think I look ok this way at home; then I get to work and I swear those bathroom lights make me look awful - like I don't have makeup on at all. I am trying to resist the temptation to go back to full coverage foundation, but I sometimes I think I looked better when I used it. Btw I am over 50 with oily acne prone skin - still!

Super Contributor
On 3/6/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

This is going to sound mean, and that really isn't my intent, but what I notice is that at a distance the models look very beautiful, but on close up shots many of them really don't have very good skin. The heavy makeup application (or maybe it's the product more than the actual application) often accentuates rather than hides the imperfections.

I've noticed this, too. Although my skin is far from perfect, I've often thought that it looks a lot better than most of the models' when they are shot in close-ups.

Super Contributor
On 3/6/2015 HappyDaze said:

I think one of the worst is the eyebrow demos. I have yet to see one where it actually looks like real brows and not drawn on or painted on brows. I personally do not like that look and would rather they have thinner, lighter brows than the fake brow/stenciled on look.

OMG, I am SO with you about that! I thought that I was either not using the products properly or that I had not found the right one for me. I end up wiping most of it off, so why bother. From a distance it may look OK but up close it is so obviously fake.

Added: Also, when I see a women with "faux" eyebrows, it draws my attention to what other makeup she has on - something I might not have done otherwise.

Trusted Contributor

Got a laugh out of your question as it's one of my names when I leave reviews at Nordstroms, LOL.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Esteemed Contributor

I've looked in on Adrienne once in a while since she's there now. Wow, I'm surprised @ how much make up she's wearing, especially being a makeup artist, writing books, etc. Dark, highly pigmented lipsticks are in now, & she's been wearing them. She just looks garish and nothing looks natural on her. After all her years, she should know the very best way to look natural and not so obviously old and made up. When you mature, less is always more.

Esteemed Contributor

I never wear make up and I am 68 years old. It is too much of a hassle. I have been told I look 10 years younger than I am. My mother always had beautiful skin. She was 95 when she passed away in 2011. I think make up makes some people look older than they are because they use a heavy hand. The other day I was walking my dog and I looked into a car when the woman was coming out of the driveway, she looked like someone painted her face on.

Valued Contributor

Usually the model is already wearing a full face of makeup at the BEGINNING of the presentation. Then they have to show you all of the products by applying them over her already done face! And if it's a really long presentation, they just keep applying over and over again . . .

With one line, the "artist" put the concealer on so thick that when the model smiled, it actually cracked!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor
The worst make up I saw was the model with fairly long eyelashes and she put on the mascara product and it looked like spiders on her eyes...hideous
Super Contributor

I'm with stray, the mascara demos with spider eyes and lashes all going toward the nose look crazy! Especially with the one model with extra long lashes, hers look great with just a little mascara as otherwise, it's not a look that will encourage me to buy the mascara unless I plan to get lash extensions as well.

It's SO hard to get brows to look real when missing most or all of them. I've stated before that I had alopecia totallls (loss of all hair) for 3 years and trying to make the brows look natural was impossible. Not having most of my lashes and wearing a hat with no obvious hair didn't help matters either! I tried stencils which were popular at the time, gels, and pencils. For me, pencils looked the closest to natural, but it's not easy to do and the lack of hair tends to stand out unless you're really good, which I wasn't.

Honored Contributor

ITA. Less is more when it comes to makeup. So many women have a heavy hand and end up looking clownish. Older women with heavy makeup look desperate, like they're trying too hard to roll back the clock.