Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about ingredients or pH levels or any of that science-y stuff.  What I do know is that ever since I stopped layering products a few years ago, my complexion seriously improved.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of points in this article.

One thing of note: But the skin is simply too complex for any single ingredient to do the job.

Don't forget all the other things skin is bombarded with...pollution, stress, makeup, the heavy sunscreens, diet, medications... 

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 

Good morning : 

Thanks so much for the article .

I agree especially for my type of skin I am 56 with acne prone skin. In May I had cataract surgery and after my eye healed I wa very disapointed in how my skin was looking . For about a year or so I had gotten into serum, oils and toners ,masks etc. I found  Dr. Dray's channel in June , and it was a real eye opener ! . She has excellent information , and since I switched to less products, and simplier ingredients , my skin is headed in the right direction. 

Honored Contributor

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I've said for years I think some people use way too many products on their faces, especially ones that have properties in them for cell turnover.  They are using AHAs, BHAs, retinol, various other acids, etc. and then wonder why their skin is dry, burned, looking older, etc.  

Frequent Contributor

I have far too many products!  I have been realizing that once I use up alot of them I need to lessen the amount that I use and stop buying everything that I see on the Shopping Channels.  Everytime I buy one I will see another line of skin care that sounds better! It is costing too much money really and sounds like less is betterWoman Wink

Respected Contributor

My skincare routine is using a serum followed by a moisturizer day and night. The am and pm routine is different. Do a mask or scrub about twice a week. In the winter I use an essence as my base layer for added hydration. 

Honored Contributor

@DBOOTS wrote:

Thank you! I use a lot of products but I rationalize them by thinking that they all have different functions - deep wrinkle serum, serum to keep my neck and jowls from looking like my older relatives, serum for age spots, eye cream, moisturizer, sunscreen and I’m probably forgetting something. Then there’s the cleansers, masks, peels, and pore extractors. Now that I know how important pH is, it will help me a lot as I evaluate a new skincare regimen which I just started to do a few days ago. 

@DBOOTS 

You are my kind of girl!  I love them all!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.