Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   My brush stash is quite overwhelming, too. I prefer 1st Bobbi Brown, 2nd Trish McEvoy and 3rd IT brushes. Some of the Bare Minerals were stiff/scratchy that came in kits. 

My brushes are divided in glass mugs by concealer brushes, face brushes (blush, powder, bronzer) & then eye brushes. 

I have a separate mug for my quick "go to every day" brushes, so I can do my makeup w/o going through all the others. 

Respected Contributor

I.T. brushes are the best I have ever owned....doesn't mean I have tried all brands as a comparison but compared to BM (very picky) & Smashbox.... I.T. are much better IMO.

I also have acquired many different brushes over the yrs from kits...the deals were super good and the brush was a nice bonus!  I wouldn't have paid $40+ for a brush on it's own so I don't feel bad about having so many.

I keep the ones I use in a fancy crystal drink glass that I use daily....the others are cleaned and in the original plastic hard case they came with OR if they didn't have one of those I have a few in a plastic bag.  

I probably have 20 brushes...to me that's ALOT LOL but you ladies may have double that for all I know.  

Super Contributor

Another vote for It Cosmetic's brushes, then Smashbox, and then lastly BM.

I problably have over 50 brushes that I will never use over 10 of them. I have started giving them away to girlfriends and family. Sad that I've collected them through the years from mostly TSV kits. But I don't need this many and they are just taking up valuable real estate space in my small cabinet.

Esteemed Contributor

It Cosmetic brushes are made of synthetic taklon nylon.

The older Smashbox makeup brushes were mostly real hair brushes except those used for foundation and concealer.

The older Bare Mineral makeup brushes were also mostly made with natural animal hair.

As to the condition of the brushes, it's probably best to take a good look at them to see if any are losing hair or if the brushes are starting to wear out or fall apart. Are they losing hair? Is the ferrul starting to come unglued from the handle? Are the brushes in good shape or not? Any that are falling apart should be decluttered IMO.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

What about Sephora brushes.  Brushes can be soo stinkin expensive!  I'll be in the city on Monday and had planned a Sephora trip with brushes being on my list.

@monicakm, I really like the Sephora brand of brushes.  I have a few of them.  The foundation brush is fabulous.

Valued Contributor

I learned about Sigma brushes on this community.Their 3D brushes are really good.

Respected Contributor

Like you I have a variety of brushes, mostly from kits.  I think my favorite ones I use for blushes and highlighters are ones I got from a Tarte kit but they are really good.  For my foundation I am using an Artis brush.  These brushes do an awesome job for foundation.

But I have to say I probably won't order another Artis brush.  My first foundation brush was great, until the head just broke off one day.  Fortunately, I had bought a larger one which is what I am using now.  However, the cost of the Artis brushes are way too much to justify my buying another one until they improve the strength of their handles.  There are a lot of dupes available now anyway.  

Honored Contributor

I have a Kabuki brush from Sephora — brush #48? It’s from their PRO collection & they no longer make it. I use it for compact powder foundations.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼