Valued Contributor

Toners on natural hair does it work?

Beauties,

I need your helpful experience and especailly if you are a hair colorist.  But any personal experience would be helpful to me.  Here is my current situation...

My last full head box color was the beginning of Oct '20 and I am in the process of naturally growing out my grey roots to allow my head to go fully grey.  In mid-spring, I plan to use a color pigment reducer to lighen up the box color and then in a month use a color corrector to remove whatever box color I have left.  Then get a modified pixie cut to allow the grey to be complete upon my all of my hair.

I really didn't want to have my hair bleached and then put on hair toner because of the cost and up keep that it would take.  So if I just remove the box color can a toner just be applied to my natural hair for a close enough result?  

My hair is in good condition and just looking for help.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Toners on natural hair does it work?

I am a former stylist.  A toner alone won't take because it requires something to activate the color.  

You could use box color just on your previous box color to help smooth out the difference from your natural hair or reduce brassiness. Or a semi-permanent color.  

When I let my gray grow out, I used a box semi-permanent color to match the brown still in my hair on the old color.  I repeated it as needed until my hair was where I wanted it to be. It helped me get through the growing out time.

JMO

Esteemed Contributor

When I went from dyed red ( thirty years) to natural I went very short to rapidly achieve my goal.  Got it out in two hair cuts.  Now my silver hair is mid back length and really is my crowning glory.  Haven't had it to a stylist in 14 months but DH trims it every couple of months.  Definitely one of the best things I ever did for myself!

Valued Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

Beauties,

I need your helpful experience and especailly if you are a hair colorist.  But any personal experience would be helpful to me.  Here is my current situation...

My last full head box color was the beginning of Oct '20 and I am in the process of naturally growing out my grey roots to allow my head to go fully grey.  In mid-spring, I plan to use a color pigment reducer to lighen up the box color and then in a month use a color corrector to remove whatever box color I have left.  Then get a modified pixie cut to allow the grey to be complete upon my all of my hair.

I really didn't want to have my hair bleached and then put on hair toner because of the cost and up keep that it would take.  So if I just remove the box color can a toner just be applied to my natural hair for a close enough result?  

My hair is in good condition and just looking for help.

TIA!

Just finished reading  true a toner will only take on bleached hair.I went the route of using  Goldwell Soft Color it is a can of  color mousse ,comes in many shades,from dark to light   ,last about 4-6 shampoos.

Think as time goes by the ends with old  color gets lighter from shampooing and  hair gets longer, then as you said you would get your pixie hair cut,that is what I did by getting hair cut short and was using the Goldwell in a 9 shade close to my dye hair at the time., 

Now I have  a platinum head of healthy looking natural  hair .I still now and then use the Goldwell Soft Color in the lightest shades , 10P( Pearl ) or 10V  (Violet)  to refresh the hair ,never been happier that I decided to stop coloring,,never have to worry about roots or if color came brassy or too dark.

Just be patient with the process .,and getting the old color cut a few times is the way to go and before you know it you will have a natural head of hair.