Honored Contributor

Today’s Time Saver Primer & Foundation Experiment

I was in a little hurry, getting ready this morning. Rather than applying my primer and letting it set before applying my foundation, I mixed the two together then applied.  I think I'm gonna keep doing this, it worked well,  

Honored Contributor

Re: Today’s Time Saver Primer & Foundation Experiment

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Cool!  Thanks for the tip.  Which primer do you use?  I've bee doing this when applying my Fenty concealer under my eyes.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - thanks for letting us know!  I may have to try this and see how it works for me.  Which primer did you use and which foundation?

Honored Contributor

@monicakm & @JudyL   I have a bunch of primers.  This morning, I used one from Skinn that I got awhile back. It's a thin consistency, not real siliconey.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but I mixed it with the L'Oréal Pro Glow.  I'm going to keep experimenting with other primers too and see how it goes. 

Regular Contributor

If I wear liquid makeup these days everything I am going to put on my face that day gets put on the back of my hand, the liquid colored product added, it's swirled and put on with fingers or a brush.  Vit. C, sunscreen or anything else.

I also gave up on primers.  I never found one that really helped anything.  

Respected Contributor

Primers always made sense to me but when I do the one side of face with any primer (tried many) and the other side with foundation (tried many) I have never seen any difference in looks or wear.   The only time I think maybe a slight difference is with powder foundation because I think it gives it something to grab onto but with liquids or creams seem unnecessary.  I think maybe it is because I have oily combo skin.  Maybe with dry skin a primer would help.  

Honored Contributor

Did you ever think that cosmetic companies had to come up with a new product thus primer?  I never use it and my makeup stays on all day.  I am always interested in improvements with tinted moisturizers, etc. but primers, no thank you.  If you have a story to prove me wrong, please do so.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

How can a story prove you wrong?  Why would anyone continue to use it if didn't work?  It's an extra step and and added expense.  It works if you get the right one for your face and your makeup.  I can't prove it to you tho.  Maybe you can Google the premise of makeup primers.  I've been using a primer since 1990s and I've changed over the years as my skin has changed.  If I didn't see a positive result I wouldn't have been using it for 30 years.  Can you prove to us that tinted moisturizers work?  I don't use one and would never consider it.  

Yes, I think companies sometimes make things up, some to stay relevant in a world where there is so much out there and consumers expect something different on the store shelves everytime they look.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Your message starts off with an angry tone.  Since you can't prove anything then keep it to yourself.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We had a discussion about primers a while back. At the time, I wasn’t a fan. On my next trip to Ulta, I had a conversation about primers with my favorite sales associate. (Chase does drag and is an all around fun guy, but that’s a different thread.). He agreed a primer might not be necessary but he also asked what I might not like about the finished look. My makeup tends to look flat. He suggested a glossy primer, I got one by Revolution for about $10. He was right, it made a difference.

Your mileage may vary.