Honored Contributor

Re: Today’s Time Saver Primer & Foundation Experiment

@Katcat1 

Whoa, I'm sorry you took my reply as "angry".  I reread it and still don't see "angry" in it.  I guess I can prove it.  I've been wearing a primer for 30 years under my makeup and my makeup goes on better and stays looking nice longer.  There, I proved it Smiley Happy

But if you've never used it, how can you prove they don't work?  Reminds me of one of the beauty gurus I watch who touted she's never used a primer, doesn't need one and thinks they're a waste of money.  Someone called her on it and she actually ordered one (I don't think she mentioned the brand), used and and and now she won't put on makeup without it. 

Super Contributor

@RollTide2008  And, there you have it!  It depends what you are looking for. I have dry skin like another poster mentioned, and primers lock in whichever moisturizer and/or oil I used underneath & (at least for me) provides me with a barrier as it were, against whatever. I don't wear foundation 80% of the time but still wear different primers. Some can provide some "glowyness" to an otherwise flat effect. Some like Supergoop Uneven Sunscreen provide spf. So, it just depends but I can't prove it. They just work for me, & I am not looking to extend makeup wear at all. 

Trusted Contributor

I also have used primers every day for years and would never do my makeup without them.  I have large pores on my nose so I have to use a pore filling primer there or my pores are very visible.

I have combo skin so I use a different primer on the rest of my face depending on how oily or dry I am that day.  Now I will admit that the non-pore filling primers don't cause as noticeable a difference, but I do think some of them help foundation apply better.  I don't know if it makes my foundation last longer, but that's not the reason I use it.

Honored Contributor

@RooRoo 

I don't do it too often but sometimes I'll apply a primer over my skincare and call it a day.  I don't have visible pores but it just smooths and evens out everything.  Some are matte and some are natural and some offer a glow with or without foundation.  

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't mixing a primer with your foundation defeat the purpose of what a primer is supposed to do?

I'm another who is absolutey not a primer fan.  I have never been shy about saying I find this to be an unnecessary step and a waste of money.  If my foundation doesn't last or looks bad on my skin, I'll buy another foundation, not add another product to my skin.   If I had super oily skin, super dry skin or large pores, maybe a primer that addresses those specific issues would be in order.  However, I have relatively normal skin and I have zero need for a primer.  I have used them when I've gotten them for free or they've been in my BoxyCharm but they aren't something I would spend the money on.  They didn't do a thing for me.

When I did have a primer, I often mixed it with my moisturizer.  Then I let that sit a little bit and moved on.  I know some companies, Elemis being one of them, make primer moisturizer combos.   

Honored Contributor

I add a dot of primer to my Fenty concealer for a smoother and more hydrating application.

@Lipstickdiva 

We're you here back in the 90s when someone offered a tip of using Monistat CHAFING Gel as a primer?  Greatest tip ever!  I used it for probably 20 years or  until my skin became too dry and this made it even dryer.  Was supposed to be the same thing as the OG Smashbox primer.

Super Contributor

@monicakm  I was here back then & remember this perfectly. I never tried it, though. Do you remember when they were discussing using straight up Crisco?

Never tried that either but I remember it was a topic back then. 

Honored Contributor

@RooRoo 

Crisco!!??  No, I missed that one thank goodness LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Wouldn't mixing a primer with your foundation defeat the purpose of what a primer is supposed to do?

I'm another who is absolutey not a primer fan.  I have never been shy about saying I find this to be an unnecessary step and a waste of money.  If my foundation doesn't last or looks bad on my skin, I'll buy another foundation, not add another product to my skin.   If I had super oily skin, super dry skin or large pores, maybe a primer that addresses those specific issues would be in order.  However, I have relatively normal skin and I have zero need for a primer.  I have used them when I've gotten them for free or they've been in my BoxyCharm but they aren't something I would spend the money on.  They didn't do a thing for me.

When I did have a primer, I often mixed it with my moisturizer.  Then I let that sit a little bit and moved on.  I know some companies, Elemis being one of them, make primer moisturizer combos.   

@Lipstickdiva  I use  think this too, especially when it came  to BB & CC creams.  I mean, if their supposed to have skincare and correction ingredients built in, how could they work over an occlusive primer? 🤷‍♀️ Shouldn't they go directly on the skin after the last step in the skincare routine?  Yet I see people applying primer and then BB Cream That one still makes me scratch my head.  Plus, when you read about certain BB & CC creams, they have the primer built in.  That said, then maybe it isn't a big deal to combine one's own 🤷‍♀️