Esteemed Contributor

Lucky you that you can do it!   I used to cut my own hair, back when I was broke and starving and had to choose between getting a haircut or buying groceries.   These days I'm happy to go to a professional for a good haircut.   But ... do you really have to pay $100 for a haircut?  I currently pay $22.   Guess it's all where you live - eh?  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Well done, @Grouchomarx !

Like some of you, I am rarely thrilled with my cuts, so I, too, have been doing it myself. I wear my hair above shoulders & layered. Yes, the back is the most difficult. I wish it were as easy as Grouchomarx's! It seems it takes me several sessions to get it.

But I've got my eye on my DD's stylist. He always does a fab job for her.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Lucky you that you can do it!   I used to cut my own hair, back when I was broke and starving and had to choose between getting a haircut or buying groceries.   These days I'm happy to go to a professional for a good haircut.   But ... do you really have to pay $100 for a haircut?  I currently pay $22.   Guess it's all where you live - eh?  

All the salons by me charge about $80 for a shampoo, cut, blow dry. Then you have to tip the stylist and the shampoo person so it gets to be about $100.  I used to go to Supercuts but it was a really crummy experience and I ended up calling it the dog grooming parlor. It was so dank and depressing and overrun with male children so it made me feel weird.  I know they vary a lot by location, but there isn't a good one by me.  My mom's Supercuts is very nice.  But she lives an hour away.

Honored Contributor

DH cuts his hair with a Flowbee. Yes it's that gadget you hook up to your vacuum cleaner. LOL!!! He's been cutting his hair for almost 40 yrs. I also have him trim the ends of my hair which he hates doing but I'm not paying to have the ends trimmed.

Respected Contributor

Unless you have all one length, straight hair, it takes talent to cut your own hair. Trained stylist do not always give a good haircut.

I know a few ladies who brag about cutting and coloring their own hair.  It looks it.

Respected Contributor
When I was young, I would trim it. I won't do a cut though. I can't reach the back!
Esteemed Contributor

I have thick wavy hair.I don't feel confident cutting it. I 've been going to the same stylist for 30 years.He does a great job.He charges me $40 for a wash,cut & blowout.

Esteemed Contributor

DD's stylist was wonderful! Snip, snip, and he was done! It came out perfectly, exactly what I wanted!

I don't mind paying the big bucks when someone really understands my hair and knows what they are doing!

It would be different if I wore longer hair, all one length.

Chin-Length Choppy Bob For Fine Hair

Honored Contributor

Re: Today I cut my own hair

[ Edited ]

I’ve been cutting my own hair this year and I love it. I watched a million YouTube videos and looked online. It’s so much easier than I expected. I use professional scissors. When I started this I had hair that was longer than my waist. I changed my part too. 

Respected Contributor

i have trimmed my bangs a few times with decent results. i would not attempt to cut the length though lol.