Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Big Joanie     Some medication can definitely affect the hair.  I was losing hair on one medication but I had to take it.  It finally stopped so normally it is not forever.

Lets hope so ....

Respected Contributor

I cut my hair for years.  Blunt cut, anywhere from chin to shoulder length.  But, I had to submit to the fact that my curly hair needs layers, and I cannot layer my hair, especially in the back!

glad you’re able to do it yourself!

Honored Contributor

Have told a relative I'll get a book on how to cut hair and she can cut mine. It's a basic cut, but she's fearful. Promised I wouldn't complain - hair grows back!

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you! I’ve cut mine for about 20 years after I got. Terrible perm.

My friend is a hairdresser and cut it short then showed me how. I also watches some programs on TV that helped as it grew longer. 

I have learned to buy really good scissors and razors, it makes a difference. 

I color mine also and have really saved $$$! Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Re: Today I cut my own hair

[ Edited ]

Great- maybe you have easy hair!  I lost trust in hair pros months ago, because I have difficult hair and no one cuts it the way I want... So in the last year, I was growing it and cutting it myself but I have wavy-curly hair & I found that I need layers otherwise I get flips like Mary Tyler Moore.   Well... when I tried to cut layers into my hair myself, it was an epic FAIL.  Last week I had to go somewhere to fix my home-haircut...  a very humbling experience.  Lesson learned- don’t try to layer your hair yourself-  

But yay for you, if your happy with it!!  Lots of time and $ saved!! 

Honored Contributor
One of my friends has cut her own hair for years. She wears a simple center part/ blunt cut. Shoulder length. Her hair is stick straight. Always looks great.

I “trimmed” some raggy ends of mine a few months ago. Looked worse after. Hairdresser’s remark: why did you do that!!!!
Honored Contributor

I haven’t cut my own hair in many, many years.  Each time I did so in the past....the next time I went to a professional, he/ she knew it!

of all the things I spend money on, what I spend on my hair isn’t so much.  

Respected Contributor

My hair is short and layered so I don't know if I could do it.  I had a friend once who cut her own hair and it was adorable like a style made specifically for her.  I get so tired of coming home and straightening it up when they don't get it even.  I used to go to places and pay a lot of money.  Now I go to great clips and ask for the same girl. She does as good a job or better than the fancy places and with tip under $20...The trick is to find a good cutter there.  I may watch some of those youtube videos.  

Honored Contributor

I've been cutting my own hair for the past 20+ years! I wear it in a very short pixie with highlights. I've done this myself for years. Just recently when my gray began to be overwhelming that I switched to having it done. I saved myself sooooo much money when I did it myself I feel I owe it to myself, now that I'm older, to treat myself for a change. 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

Awesome!  I would love to cut my own hair,  however I can't even cut wrapping paper in a straight line LOL    I like my stylist and find her kinda relaxing and her shampoo always feels and  smells so good.