Respected Contributor

And it came out good! I watched a few YouTube videos for technique ideas. I am so happy I saved myself the stress (I hate getting it cut, I’d rather visit the dentist) and about $100. Who knew it was so easy

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. You must be very talented and have long arms! Good for you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I do that too! I hate going and hate getting disappointed. One day I just watched and thought, I could do that!

And I must say, my cuts have come out better then when I've gone to any salon, expensive or cheap.(If I do say so myself!) And I get compliments.

I try different things.

I've watched videos and also my neighbor who used to be a hairdresser said you can do this for a simple and quick result-

put hair in a ponytail-turn head upside down and cut the ends of the ponytail.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I have no talent at all! I put it in two pony tails, banded the ends and snipped below the bad. Then I had to work on the back part by brushing it straight up and snipping it between the fingers. I’m shocked it wasn’t a giant disaster.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I do that too! I hate going and hate getting disappointed. One day I just watched and thought, I could do that!

And I must say, my cuts have come out better then when I've gone to any salon, expensive or cheap.(If I do say so myself!) And I get compliments.

I try different things.

I've watched videos and also my neighbor who used to be a hairdresser said you can do this for a simple and quick result-

put hair in a ponytail-turn head upside down and cut the ends of the ponytail.

I totally agree, I’m always disappointed by the mediocre job they do. Tired of wasting all that money to look so so. I’ve tried so many stylists and must have a curse on me they all stink and they cost so much. 

Respected Contributor

I've been cutting my own hair for 25 years and love how it looks.  I create the style, tinker with it as needed, and enjoy being my own stylist.  I get compliments on my hairstyle very often and asked where I get it done.... Ha.  My very own bathroom!

Honored Contributor

I like too that I can control the look and the results!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Same here.  I've been doing this off-and-on since my 20s - and that's (OMG) about 50 years.  And for the last 20-30, it's just been me.

It seemed each time a hairdresser cut my hair, I'd have to "fix" it.  Not to mention letting it grow since they could never understand the phrase "1/2 to one inch" and never failed to interpret that as 2-3 inches.  

I call it going to CHEZ MOI!   I love my stylist.  Woman LOL 

(I take the credit when it looks good; and the responsibility when it doesn't.)

Just fyi, for most years it's been between chin and shoulder length, often with long layers, plus bangs.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Ex Hairdresser here ... from the 60's ....yes I used a metal teasing

comb on my clients ... Yikes .....I aways have to tweek something

when I have stylist do it .... also ... I show them a photo of a do a

would like and it looks great when I leave the salon .. but I can

never do it the same myself and never seem to get the same hair

do again ... not to mention the price ....

I have very fine hair .. so if I wear it short like I like its a cut every

6 weeks and it adds up ....so I do cut it myself ....

Also ... I think some medications I am taking are effecting my hair ..

or maybe its just being 72 !!!!

Honored Contributor

It seems we've all discovered the great reasons for going to our favorite stylist!🥰