Honored Contributor

Re: To My Fellow Grey/Silver Fox Divas

@Its Me LuLuBelle2   I will try the shampoo you recommend.  I use Shimmering Lights and occasionally use a Pantene shampoo.  Any conditioner seems to make my hair too soft and too greasy but I like to try different things.  I do get the flyaway hair in cooler weather.  

As far as cutting your hair to go gray, it grows back.  Remember all the ladies who have chemo and have to lose their hair and grow back and some never do.  I thought of them when I dreaded cutting my hair and God did give me good hair and pretty eyes and an oval shape face.  I probably have the worst complexion of anyone you know and I struggle very hard keeping my weight down, so it is always a trade-off.  Few of us get all perfection.  But, I still have pretty good hair under all that aging.  I do not smoke.  I do not use a curling iron.  So, as some described we are burning yellow into our hair.  I am not.  I have naturally blond hair with red undertones and I would hazard a guess that it is that color hair that has the yellow tint if not shampoo with a clarifying shampoo quite often.  I am not here to condemn anyone's way of doing things but just to say what works for me.

I do have great thick hair which I can towel dry and blow right before it is dry so that it is not wilted and greasy looking.  Then I brush into place and go.

Respected Contributor

I, too, still have somewhat oily skin/scalp at 64. I wear my silver gray hair in a chin-length layered bob, and wash it nearly every day. It doesn't "sleep" well, lol! I would at least have to wet it and restyle, but I use hairspray, and that just doesn't work out. All I get is a sticky mess.

My hair is still the same slightly wavy texture it's always been (I was a dark brown brunette), and even several years after allowing it to go gray, I am still astonished by the color...it's prettier than I ever thought it would be, shiny and silky. I have no problems so far with yellowing, thankfully. I am using a mix of WEN and Tresemme shampoo to cleanse, and styling products from both brands. I also use a heat protectant, because I blow dry and heat style almost every day. When I run out of WEN, I won't be buying more---no problems with it, it's just getting beyond my budget--so we'll see how it goes. I'll definitely be looking for a good leave-in conditioner, probably sometime this summer.

Respected Contributor

I stopped coloring about 7-8yrs. ago. THE best thing I ever did for my hair. I have fairly thick hair, short, somewhat on the dry side. I don't anything special, wash, blow-dry, & go. I don't like using conditioner, but I do. The last 2 yrs., it seems a bit more unruly than normal (I think due to staying in bed too much). I've always gotten many compliments on my hair, since going gray. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   What heat protector do you use? 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Pretty much all shampoos dry out my scalp

Even the most "natural" and "gentle" and sulfate free types.

I use WEN

I buy the conditioning cleanser and the oil.

The initial price is a bit steep but lasts a long time & I need no other products.

Honored Contributor

I am salt and pepper.  My favorite sulfate free shampoo is by Acure.  Mega Moisture with Argan oil and Pumpkin.  Instantly adds moisture to my hair.  I also use Skikai hair for taking out yellow tones and Aveda's Blue Malva.  I always received compliments on my color and my hair is healthy which is most important.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@countrylady wrote:

I never colored my hair and I turned grey early.  Seems like overnight my hair turned white.  I've been using Nick Chavez shampoo and conditioner for grey/white hair for years.  I like to see my white hair shine and sparkle in the sunlight.

@countrylady, what's the name of the Nick Chavez products that you use, please? I took a quick look but didn't see anything that seemed to be specifically for gray/silver hair. thanks.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Shanus   What heat protector do you use? 

@tends2dogs   I’ve used Kenra Heat Protectant, now using Chi, but have tried a drop of argan oil when I wear my hair curly and use a diffuser and just ordered one from Moroccan Oil in a spray. The Kenra and Moroccan Oil are expensive, but I spray a drop in my hands and run through my hair instead of spraying them on...better coverage & less spray.