Valued Contributor

To My Fellow Grey/Silver Fox Divas

I stopped dying my hair approximately 14-15 years ago and love my grey/silver hair.  But caring for it is a whole other challenge.  I've tried almost every product on the market.  Some had good results, but expensive, some with okay results, but also expensive.

I think I have finally found a winning combo!  My hair, "normal," prior to greying, is now dry.  I now only wash it 3 times a week.  More than that really isn't necessary.  Once a week I use Clairol Shimmer Lights, which keeps the yellow away and makes the silver prominent.  After washing with it I put in a leave-in conditioner which I have found to be wonderful and inexpensive (and I've tried many).  For me - Suave Honey Infusion hits the mark.  Not heavy, not greasy and leaves my hair soft without the coarseness associated with grey hair.

My challenge was finding a good, inexpensive shampoo to use for the in-between shampoos.  Well I found it!  L'Oreal EverPure Blonde Shampoo.  It's.sulfate free, gentle and highlights my silver beautifully.  Also, easy to find and inexpensive. And no conditioner needed!

I think many manufacturers (and QVC) are missing the mark by not realizing how many of us baby boomers are embracing our grey.  It's mind boggling how hard it's been to come up with products that work and are affordable. LuLu

Respected Contributor

Re: To My Fellow Grey/Silver Fox Divas

I quit coloring my hair about 3 years ago and I’m so happy I did for many reasons. I’ve been using Joico Color Balance Purple once a week to eliminate any yellow in my hair and I use a hair mask by Hask a couple times a week. But I’ve been experimenting with different shampoos so I’m glad you mentioned one that you like. I will be definitely trying it out. 

Valued Contributor

@itsmagic, if you give it a try, please come back and let me know what you think.  My hair is one length, about two inches below my shoulders.  I wear it daily in a bun (think Kate Hepburn).  A little bit of the Suave conditioner and the L'Oreal Shampoo goes a long way.  Hope you have the same positive results I've achieved!  Best, LuLu

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2I'm not surprised it's taken time and effort to find products that work for you.

I've been coloring my hair for about 45 years now.  About 25 years back, I asked my colorist about going gray.  He described the hair he felt I would have - sounded almost like my mother's and that was definitely not encouraging. He told me what I'd most likely want to do if I decided to go gray, and I'll never forget this sentence he ended with: "I'd love to see you go gray because you'd be spending more money and time here than you do now. but I think you'll be happier to stick with color."

I still think his advice was right - for me.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, you all sure spend a lot of time and money fussing over you silver hair.  I went gray about 20 years ago when I retired, wash my hair about once every 5 or 6 days with Its a 10 shampoo and use a leave in conditioner.  I comb it into place and it dries naturally.  It stays silver with no yellowing and I don't fuss with it.  I have thick, naturally wavy hair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@millieshops, he was right.  It's a very expensive mine field to find products that work for our grey hair.  I am however happy I've spent the money and time to figure out what works for me.  

It does however baffle me, as we baby boomers have aged, that companies haven't kept up with us to spend our $$$s on hair care products that actually work for us and given us a vast variety of affordable choices.

Hmmm, maybe that will be my next career!  Best LuLu

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624, Consider yourself lucky!  Not all of us have been fortunate enough to not have to chase away the yellow.  Also the coarse, quirky hairs all over the place!  LOL.  Count your blessings Kachina624!  Best, LuLu

Honored Contributor

I went salt and pepper 15 years ago..my hair is mostly silver mixed with black.  My hair is still the same texture as it was when I was a teen.

I wash my hair everyday because it is oily..if I let it go another day, when I get up in the morning, it is so oily that it looks wet.  I do use a shampoo for silver hair sometimes, but use a shampoo for oily hair more often.  I have even tried Dawn dishwashing liquid...still have to wash it the next day.

I don't  get yellow hair because I don't smoke, take meds or use a curling iron with a product on my hair, except for a heat protector.  Many women burn products in their hair with a curling iron.  Hair spray burns and turns hair yellow as does gels and other styling products.

My hair is still shiny, poker straight, silky, smooth and doesn't hold a curl.  The only difference is the color.

My skin is oily too.  I wish i could only wash my hair a few times a week.

Trusted Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  When I had highlights in my dyed brown hair, I bought Shimmer Lights because the highlights seemed to get brassy.  My hair dresser advised me to use it just like you do, not more than one time per week because it's very, very drying.

I debate going gray but it would be a challenge to make that transition, since my hair is medium long and I don't want to cut it short in order to transition more easily.

I think the issue with hair product companies is they just don't look at women with gray hair as a money making market.  They can't sell them any hair color products and they think the mature market overall does less and spends less on their hair.  They just decide their best target customer is 25-50 so that's who they concentrate on.

The hair product market is tremendously saturated and competitive. Maybe they're afraid to be seen as a company who caters to the hair needs of mature women and think it will damage their image as a cool, hip hair product company.  Just my thoughts, as I was in advertising for awhile.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99, yes, going grey was a very hard decision for me, as I'm sure it has for others.  I started with hair just shy of shoulder length.  Then went to an ear length bob, but ended up going short and keeping it short until it grew out.

You are probably right on the money regarding companies wanting to stay young and hip.  But still, we baby boomers aren't all gone yet and have the bucks to spend (as I have, not happily, but have nonetheless)!

It's a very personal choice.  For me, I was just tired of keeping up with coloring, and frankly, I also think it gets to the point where dyed hair isn't fooling anyone about your age.  I'm very happy in my 65 year old skin (and grey hair), but don't belittle any woman who feels differently. We all need to feel good about ourselve's regardless of how we do it.  Thanks for your thoughts, LuLu