Honored Contributor

To Moisturize Face or Not to Moisturize Face --- That is the Question --- So What's the Answer?

This sounds really dumb and I realize it but I'm wondering if anyone else my age deals with this.  Here goes --- 68 years old --- very, very sensitive skin, rosacea issues.  This involves a lot of broken caps, slight redness.  My skin is more on the normal side but could be a tad bit dry.  

Here's the tricky part.  Any more, no matter what moisturizer I use, it seems like I start to get a few little blemishes here or there.  If I just wash my face and no moisturizer at all, then I don't seem to get the blemishes.  I don't like the feeling of a dry face and I want to have moisturizer on my face but who needs the blemishes!

I never use a heavy moisturizer, always use fragrance free and oil free, so that can't be the issue.  

What can I use to get a nice, soft looking and feeling complexion without getting the blemishes?

Does anyone else of around my age get this issue?  It's very frustrating.  

Thanks so much! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: To Moisturize Face or Not to Moisturize Face --- That is the Question --- So What's the Answer?

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

Have you ever tried Josie Maran's whipped Argan oil body butter? I use that for my face even though she has since developed a face butter specifically for that use. I love it. I have extremely sensitive skin and have not developed any blemishes from this. My son has facial psoriasis, he uses it as well, and it helps the redness, dryness and scaling. Try a small size and see if it may help you. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: To Moisturize Face or Not to Moisturize Face --- That is the Question --- So What's the Answer?

@AngelPuppy1   I use Paula's Choice.  She has several different formulas.  I use the one for dry skin.  I've never gotten blemishes from this.  I buy it from Dermstore, but she has a website, too.  I've used this for many years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

In theory, our own skin oils should be enough to handle the moisture situation. I get the feeling that we sometimes upset our balance for any number of reasons.

But we have a lot more pollution today, so that years ago, I think women got away with just Ponds! My Mom used it for cleansing only. She never put on anything afterward, and her skin was never dry.

I remember all my aunts, too, and they did the same thing! I never remember seeing one blemish on anyone (and back then, they had extensive families!)

We have more chemicals in our food, too. There is a lot more to think about.

I'm not an expert on rosacea skin. I just wonder if you could atomize throughout the day....with simple water. Or rose water, or rose water w/ glycerin, or even green tea....?

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone's complexion, and sensitivity issue, is different.  I'm 71 and still get an occasional pimple or rash if I try a new product on my face.  So I'm extremely careful what goes on my face.  What has worked for me for years is CeraVe PM Ultra Lightweight lotion.  CeraVe has 2 PM formulas:  regular and Ultra Lightweight.  It's definitely not heavy and soaks right in for me.  And I don't get any breakouts using it.   

(btw, I use the PM formula in the daytime, not at night)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

A facial moisturizer is something you won't find in my beauty bag. Instead I use my hydrating vit c serum which has a bit of glycerin in it. I also use a hydrating face mist to get extra hydration that way, too. There are many mists on the market. Look for one with glycerin.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I like Beekman light as air facial cream.  I sometimes alternate with the facial oil , it's really nice and does well for my nearly 60 year old skin!   I also use 100% Pure brand moisturizers on and off.  I tend to go with organics as they are much healthier on the skin.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning @AngelPuppy1 . Before trying more and other moisturizers, I'd change cleansers. Many are quite moisturizing and don't leave your skin feeling dry or taut. I'd suggest trying an oil cleanser first. Rinse with warm not hot water and no washcloth. Discontinue anything you're using that may exfoliate or be harsh on your skin. You can also try using a primer that has silicone in it afterwards instead of moisturizer. It'll give your skin a smoothe feel.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 It is a battle. I break out from every other thing & at 59 it is ridiculous!

I agree with maybe trying a different cleanser, because it can make a huge difference. Even cleansers that claim to be for normal/dry skin can still be drying to my skin.

I use argan oil to break down makeup & either First Aid Beauty Fase Cleanser or PTR Water Drench Cloud Cream Cleanser.

For the daytime I have been using Lancome Beinfait Aqua Vital Moisturizer Lotion. It is light moisture & it doesn't break me out. At night I have just been using my argan oil, again, after cleansing. It doesn't really add moisture, but it soothes my skin &, again, it doesn't break me out.

Ceravae products irritate my skin, but they seem to work for a lot of people.

I wish you luck in finding something that works for you.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  What vitamin c serum are you using?  Thank you