Regular Contributor

Re: To MakeUpMaidn - Today's Polish Arrivals

@MakeUpMaidn  Stamping is one of those things that is "simple," but not necesarily "easy." Basically, you're putting polish on an etched nail "stamping plate," picking it up with a "stamper" (a tool that has a (typically) silicone pad on one end), then applying the image to your nail." From there you can move onto designs using multiple images stamped over each other, creating decals with portions of the design colored in with different polishes, etc. There's definitely a learning curve.

Because you really can't avoid getting polish on your skin (at least with designs that cover the full nail), I wouldn't even attempt stamping with gel. Even if you can avoid your skin, uncured gel tends to contaminate everything within reach if you're not extemely careful.

You can, however, start with a gel manicure, then stamp over it with regular (stamping) polish. My nail started out with YN fiber gel, then removal of the inhibition layer, the regular nail polish I decide to use. Later, when I decided to dig out the stamping stuff, I added a layer of sticky base coat, did my stamping, the added a layer of quick dry top coat.

I remember reading a while back that either Target or Walmart had stamping kits. I do all my purchasing online. When I was initially having problems, I literally ordered various stampers directly from China on Amazon. I felt like the risk level for something like this is far, far less than cheap pollishes would be. No doubt there's a variation in quality, but unlike with poishes, there's less likelihood of dangerous ingredients, inaccurate ingredient lists, etc. I found I had the best luck with "sticky" stampers. That seems to be pretty much all I see out there these days, but back then there were several materials in use.

Good quality, well etched plates are going to make your life easier in the beginning, as is good quality stamping polish. Maniology is a good starting point for a basic kit. At Target/Walmart, I'd look for Pueen.  We can certainlly go into this in more depth, But I'm going to move on for now.

I gather a lot of the lower cost polishes (both gel and regular) have no name, only a number. Honestly, that's all the manufacturer needs for identifying the color. I don't think I've ever seen a gel polish that I haven't already seen something very similar in regular polish. An ingredient that doesn't create any problems in a regular polish, may not be compatible with a gel polish since the curing process is so different. Every pigment added has some effect on curing. Keep in mind that a gel poish will appear cured when it's only 50% of the way to a proper cure. To be properly cured, the percentage has to be somelwhere above 90%.

Those polishes are both really pretty. In fact, I kind of emphaized "white base with "xxx" shimmer" in the order I just received, since I don't have a huge number in that category. I'm thibking the "sparkley" is what drew you to these polishes? Maybe we just need to find you a polish with a clear, or very pale white, with white, clear, silver, even gold sparkles that you ca just layer over the base color of your choice?

Ok, quittig for now...

Honored Contributor

OK...true confession time. @MakeUpMaidn A few years ago my husband bought me 4 of the organizer boxes (a surprise present - guess he felt I had a need!) and more than 3 of them are full (I did!). Surprisingly, I am someone who doesn't wear polish (usually nude/sheer) consistently, but I love color and just enjoy seeing all the options. I always take my own stash for mani/pedi. Frequently, I will select a certain color for a special event (wore a stunning blue in honor of the ocean swim during a triathlon). The exotic colors are usually reserved for special occasions. I can understand your passion and am surprised that I have collected so many colors as I am somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to make-up etc. I love the plastic tops for colors and will have to check that out. I enjoyed reading the information about Indie colors....you are a pro, enjoy your collection!

Honored Contributor

sorry, I can't edit. The adove post was also meant to be addressed to @juperier3

Regular Contributor

@phoenixbrdNo problem. Very thoughtful of your husband. It's nice to know that others can appreciate the uniqueness. Even tho I do wear polish, and change it frequently, I realize that. I realize that I've collected an excesive amount. But I'm collecting something that I enjoy.

I'll be posting more images soon. Just need to get the lightbox set up and click the shutter on the camera

Respected Contributor

@juperier3@phoenixbrd

I'm slowly, but surely, plugging away at painting & glueing each bottle's colored dots on the top of the bottles of (non gel) nail polishes.

I seem to have collected a lot, a real lot, more bottles than I thought.

The newest glued, painted dot bottles, I just moved to the nail polish box (displayed below) just to get out of the way, while their painted, glued colored dots fully dried.

But with that box "foam partitioning," that comes in the "nail polish box," the box is filled up already, WAYYY before so many other polishes, dot painted, & I have waiting to be logged & stored!!

This is NOT going to work!

I have too many polishes! And, it's not as if the nail polish bottles are rare, decorated "Russian Easter Eggs," that need such extraordinary protection from one another, nestled in these foam burrows!! (below)

"DEPAD Nail Polish Organizer Box for 54 Bottles, Multi-purpose and Portable Nail Polish Holder, Space Saver for for Essential Oil, Lipstick, Fingernail Polish"

So, I bought 2 of these boxes, for starters.

But I have come to the conclusion, there's A LOT of wasted space in these boxes, with all the foam inside. I dont have kids around banging things up. I think I can chance, "bottles touching bottles" in these boxes.

So I'm looking at taking the foam squares out, and using some kind of partitioning mechanism to separate rows of bottles of nail polish.touching one another, just to store as many as possible in these 2 boxes.

1)

So far, these "separators" are the only things I've come up with so far, stretched across, long side to long side. Ideally, I'd like more slender such "tension rods" (the below are still too fat).. but havent found slender tension rods yet.

"Small Tension Rods 12 to 19.5 inch Adjustable Bars for Camper RV Refrigerator, Kitchen Windown, Cupboard Utensils, Closet, and Cabinet, White- 6 Pack
Size:12-19.5‘’

~~~~~ OR ~~~~~~

2)

"Croing - 32 pcs White - Drawer Dividers - Drawer Organizer - Ornament Storage Dividers - Drawer Separators"

~~~ OR ~~~

3)

For "exactly" what I want, I'll perhaps end up cutting up cardboard boxes into cardboard separator rows, covered/reinforced with contact paper, and use them as separators, all long the length of rows, across, (& rows of polish bottles will be touching one another.

The boxes will be much heavier, with many more bottles, but I sld be able to fit many more polish bottles in them, & safely. & keep to a minimal amt of storage boxes.

NO WAY do I want many plastic nail polish boxes stacked oppressively, & overwhelmingly high. I just want the polish selections, light, tight & easily accessible!

Any feedback? Ideas?

Regular Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn I haven't totally disappeared, just spending my time in other "rabbit holes." I just bought a macro lens for my dslr and had to play with it. These are just  really basic..handheld/auto everything...so not the best quality. But I thought you might enjoy closeups of some very recent arrivals. 

I'll try to get back in here in the next couple of days and re-read and respond to comments. If I stop to do it now, I'll never get this posted.

Collage 2023-02-21 04_42_23.jpg

One of the things I've been working on is getting my lps and cds entered into discogs. When I need to load my own images, cds are easy (but still time-consuming, since I can scan them, crop the files and upload. Lps on the other hand are too big to scan, so I'm using that as an excuse to gain a little bit of photography knowlege, learn how to operate my camera, buy some "toys" to go with it, etc.