Respected Contributor

Hi KatCat, I've been seeing the results of your non-functioning A key, and decided to paste and earlier post to you that was at the end of a thread that you didn't go back to.... I had a similar situation, and this is how I handled it --- for over a year!

Kat... I spilled cocoa on my old laptop, after which, everything worked but the space bar. I copied and pasted space bars for over a year before replacing the machine. Tedious but it worked! I'd copy a space, and then just "control V" it. It became as automatic as hitting the space bar itself. I only had a problem when I wanted to cut and paste something else. Then I had to recopy a space. So glad i have a working keyboard now! (ETA... I would go to a website or open a document to get a "space" to copy.)

Respected Contributor
Great idea.
Super Contributor

Neat idea. I have to admit I kinda like her @'s for a's.

Super Contributor

You should also be able to pop off the "a" key from the keyboard and clean out what is underneath it causing the obstruction.

The @ is a cute and creative substitute, though it turns every word into a hyperlink because browsers think it's an email address. Gotta love technology!

Honored Contributor

I h@ve t@ken the key off bout 5 times & cle@ned it. I pl@n on t@king it to be fixed on next P@yd@y. However, your ide@ is gre@t. I will go into Word doc. & copy the letter I need. This @ key is m@king me cr@zy & prob@bly everyone else. Thnks for thinking of me. Thnks to everyone else too.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor
On 2/4/2014 KatCat1 said:

I h@ve t@ken the key off bout 5 times & cle@ned it. I pl@n on t@king it to be fixed on next P@yd@y. However, your ide@ is gre@t. I will go into Word doc. & copy the letter I need. This @ key is m@king me cr@zy & prob@bly everyone else. Thnks for thinking of me. Thnks to everyone else too.

KatCat1, omg, thanks for the explaination! LOL! I actually was getting dizzy trying to read your posts! Hope it is a simple fix. Let us know what the IT guy says. Very curious

Honored Contributor

Is this better? I copied the "a" from a letter in Word. Now we won't have to deal with the @ sign. I'll be happy when I have this problem fixed. Thanks again, itsMe, I never thought of the copy feature.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

It's wonderful, although I have to smile thinking of reading your posts and your progress with the missing "a"! Making everything a link with the a symbol was so cool.....glad the copy/paste solution is working for now, GREAT tip!

Respected Contributor

You are welcome, KatCat! Without copy/paste, i would have had to replace that laptop a year and a half before it died. Copy/paste was worth the hassle!

Occasional Contributor

KatCat1

Thanks for the tip of removing my key I did not know it could be removed. My letter ""h key"" was always sticking and I had to press very hard to get it to work. I remove the ""h key"" and clean the area out and replaced the key now its working find.

Take care everyone.