Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of throwing away my Vit C serum

@Wackers3 wrote:

Yes, have used both Philosophy's and Skinn powders and neither did anything remarkarble for me.  My skin is really resistant to letting these sun/age spots dissipate so was truly thrilled when I found NCN's formula and it worked so effectively.  I have used MAP C before too and never saw any improvement.

I would assume that many of the other C serums I have used have been helpful in providing free radical protection but when you finally find "the one" that also gets rid of these nasty age/sun spots, it is frustrating to learn that the stability of the product is no longer holding up.  Especially when it was in a pump container.

It is particularly irritating to me that the stability of the dropper delivery was a concern right from the start when Nanci changed back to it and that she was sooooo sure all the worries were for naught.  It is just common sense that an airless pump would protect the serum so much more efficiently than a silly dropper - did she really think customers would not eventually notice if the formula was deteriorating over time ?

Certainly something to be said about that ole phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

@Wackers3 I agree. I've tried many brands and types over the years, including many mentioned here like the Philosophy & Mad Hippie, and they just either didn't do anything for me or the irritated my skin so it was nice to finally find something that truly worked. Like you said though, except for the ones that irrate your skin, the others were certainly doing something for your skin but nothing actually helped brighten and even out my skin tone like NCNs. Now I just hope I can hold onto that since I'm no longer using it. I guess we shall see. I am gonig to forgo an actual vitamin C product unless I hear back from some of you gals that you found an amazing one.

Regarding Nanci- if you remember she used to have a big spiel on her vitamin C page about how the packaging of L-Ascorbic was important so that is why hers was an airless pump, etc. Then when she decided to go to a dropper, she removed all that and tried to say she tested it and found out it was stable for x amount of months, later she changed it to 6 months (less than the original amount of months) even though she did nothing different, lol. That seemed a bit shady to me. Anyway, she KNOWS better and that is why it bothers me so much that she still keeps the dropper. I almost wonder if she is just being cheap because I am sure the dropper is much cheaper than the airless pump.

I also appreciate that she listens to her customers' concerns (sometimes, lol) and tries to make things better but to add orange blossom just because some don't like the NATURAL scent of the ingredients is really kind of lame. It isn't like it keeps that scent on your skin- it dissipates quickly- but I know some like their skincare to smell frilly and foo foo. I don't give a darn about that- I just want EFFECTIVE and NON-IRRITATING products! grrrr....

Anyway, if you find something that you love to replace NCNs, please make sure you report back to us!!

Respected Contributor

This thread is so interesting.  I love Mad Hippie Vit C Serum and have never had a problem with it turning -- then again it never occurred to me that it might.  I'll be sure to pay closer attention going forward.  I should also acknowledge that I use a pretty generous amount (half a dropper) on my face, neck and chest each morning so I go through a bottle every two months or so.  The price is reasonable so I don't mind and the results are real (for me).

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

This thread is so interesting.  I love Mad Hippie Vit C Serum and have never had a problem with it turning -- then again it never occurred to me that it might.  I'll be sure to pay closer attention going forward.  I should also acknowledge that I use a pretty generous amount (half a dropper) on my face, neck and chest each morning so I go through a bottle every two months or so.  The price is reasonable so I don't mind and the results are real (for me).

@islandgrrl wrote:

@islandgrrl  You'll be fine and don't need to be concerned about your Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum going bad.  It's made with the Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate form of vitamin C, which far more stable than L-Ascorbic Acid, which is the kind in the NCN Skincare product the OP and others have given up on.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

Bless you -- and your incredible knowledge! Thank you for that information!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@myshell624 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@myshell624 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I have the drunken elephant vit c and have been using it the last few days.  No bad reactions but too soon to give a review for any results. The bottle says it is good for 24 mos.  I have a couple dark patches on my face that I would like to lighten. 

It is pricey but if it works. The packaging is very cheap in a sense.  Just sort of that cheap plastic but I don't care about packaging.  It is an air tight bottle.  ...and I love that it is cruelty free. 

It does get rave reviews so keeping my fingers crossed.  

Where did you see it's good for 24 months on the bottle?  I looked the box and bottle over and didn't see it.

On the bottle, on one of the sides that has no writing on it.  Down  on the bottom of that side.  It has the little open jar symbol that reads 24 mos, you will also see a elephant and a bunny and something else. 

Thanks!  I found it.  Are you using it everyday day?  Since they say it stays on the Skin for 72 hours and it's rather pricey, I was thinking of alternating it with something else.

Right now, I am using it every other day and will stick with that for now. Since they say it says it last up to 72 hours, I figured that was a fair shot.  But, I may change that at some point depending on my skin. On the other days, I started using Isomers C eye contour all over my face since I have it and want to use it up. I have two bottles of the Isomers. They are small though.  I wouldnt use anything if I didnt have the Isomers, I almost just want to test out the drunken elephant on its own to see if it works.  But, I am tired of the other bottles hanging around.

I am hoping this stuff works.

Trusted Contributor

HD:     Agree, agree, agree and agree even more.  It certainly does make one wonder what is the driving force behind the droppers versus the airless pumps, doesn't it?  Have to admit that cost has certainly crossed my mind as I just can not rationalize what else it could be.

I would also have to share your view on the orange blossom.  To add another ingredient solely for the sake of disgusing a natural odor seems so arbitrary to me.  Nanci has to well know that there is no such thing as a fool-proof, totally harmless ingredient in today's skincare world, hence now exposing users to an updated formula with the potential for irritation or allergy.  I don't see the wisdom in that decision but that's just me.    

I will also be watching zealously to see if anyone finds another C serum that  appears to perform as well - we can always hope!                                                                                      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have used and liked the NCN Vit C serum for at least a couple years now and have highly recommended it here often.

But I just had to trash my  bottle because it was definitely darkening. It was probably still safe but not particularly effective. The last bottle had the same problem. The company claims that it remains stable for six months.

One of the pros of this product is it's relatively large size. It's 1.3 ounces rather than the normal one ounce. But since I use it only once a day, one bottle lasts me close to the end of its shelf life. I opened this last bottle four months ago.

I am considering either forgetting Vit C altogether or switching to a MAP-based Vit C for better stability. NuFountain makes one with an impressive and short ingredient deck. BabyFace also makes one, but the deck is much more crowded and less appealing to me.

I refrigerate mine

If you're using NCN, she states on the item page that refrigerating her serum will NOT lengthen its shelf life.

@cuddlesmama

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Wackers3 wrote:

Has anyone contacted Nanci at NCN and mentioned this issue?  Reason I am asking is because I really saw the best results from her C serum but have not purchased since she switched back to the dropper delivery.  My last bottle was still the pump.

I have been using a C serum a friend gave me that she got from her derm hence why I have not been back to NCN but I am going to have to purchase some other C serum within about a month or so and had just assumed it would be NCN = not so sure now after reading this thread.

I know Nanci was questioned on this when she did switch back to the dropper and she held firm on the stability issue - was just kind of wondering what reaction she may have if customers actually stop buying as that says volumes.  Since I personally have not experienced it, I felt a bit hesitant to be the one to directly contact her since I wouldn't be able to answer any specific questions if they arose.

Just curious - it is a shame because she really does make an effective one.  Maybe she should consider selling only a 1 ounce size and drop the price a bit to reflect the smaller amount.  Anyone think it would remain stable in the smaller size?

@Wackers3, hi, there.

I have had phone conversations and several e-mail exchanges with Nanci. Some have been fine, but others, shall we say, less so. Overall, I think she is very sincere,. But I see no point in any communication about this particular problem.

I do agree with you about changing over to a one-ounce bottle. It wouldn't necessarily affect the stability, but it would be more likely that one would finish the bottle before it becomes questionable. However, PC's Resist Vit C serum is even under an ounce, and I noticed some complaints about it changing color. So I just don't know.

This is why I am considering a more stable form, but I'm concerned that so many say that they don't work as well.

I'm open to hearing more about MAP or SAP from those who use either. Please post your opinions as to what changes you've seen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@myshell624 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@myshell624 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I have the drunken elephant vit c and have been using it the last few days.  No bad reactions but too soon to give a review for any results. The bottle says it is good for 24 mos.  I have a couple dark patches on my face that I would like to lighten. 

It is pricey but if it works. The packaging is very cheap in a sense.  Just sort of that cheap plastic but I don't care about packaging.  It is an air tight bottle.  ...and I love that it is cruelty free. 

It does get rave reviews so keeping my fingers crossed.  

Where did you see it's good for 24 months on the bottle?  I looked the box and bottle over and didn't see it.

On the bottle, on one of the sides that has no writing on it.  Down  on the bottom of that side.  It has the little open jar symbol that reads 24 mos, you will also see a elephant and a bunny and something else. 

Thanks!  I found it.  Are you using it everyday day?  Since they say it stays on the Skin for 72 hours and it's rather pricey, I was thinking of alternating it with something else.

Right now, I am using it every other day and will stick with that for now. Since they say it says it last up to 72 hours, I figured that was a fair shot.  But, I may change that at some point depending on my skin. On the other days, I started using Isomers C eye contour all over my face since I have it and want to use it up. I have two bottles of the Isomers. They are small though.  I wouldnt use anything if I didnt have the Isomers, I almost just want to test out the drunken elephant on its own to see if it works.  But, I am tired of the other bottles hanging around.

I am hoping this stuff works.

Thanks!  I think I'm going to use it everyday for a week or two so I can see if it's something I want to stick with.  Then, I'll try every other day.

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Wackers3 wrote:

Has anyone contacted Nanci at NCN and mentioned this issue?  Reason I am asking is because I really saw the best results from her C serum but have not purchased since she switched back to the dropper delivery.  My last bottle was still the pump.

I have been using a C serum a friend gave me that she got from her derm hence why I have not been back to NCN but I am going to have to purchase some other C serum within about a month or so and had just assumed it would be NCN = not so sure now after reading this thread.

I know Nanci was questioned on this when she did switch back to the dropper and she held firm on the stability issue - was just kind of wondering what reaction she may have if customers actually stop buying as that says volumes.  Since I personally have not experienced it, I felt a bit hesitant to be the one to directly contact her since I wouldn't be able to answer any specific questions if they arose.

Just curious - it is a shame because she really does make an effective one.  Maybe she should consider selling only a 1 ounce size and drop the price a bit to reflect the smaller amount.  Anyone think it would remain stable in the smaller size?

@Wackers3, hi, there.

I have had phone conversations and several e-mail exchanges with Nanci. Some have been fine, but others, shall we say, less so. Overall, I think she is very sincere,. But I see no point in any communication about this particular problem.

I do agree with you about changing over to a one-ounce bottle. It wouldn't necessarily affect the stability, but it would be more likely that one would finish the bottle before it becomes questionable. However, PC's Resist Vit C serum is even under an ounce, and I noticed some complaints about it changing color. So I just don't know.

This is why I am considering a more stable form, but I'm concerned that so many say that they don't work as well.

I'm open to hearing more about MAP or SAP from those who use either. Please post your opinions as to what changes you've seen.

suzyQ3- I've used Mad Hippie and the ASDM Vitamin C Serum.  I think they're both wonderful serums but I don't get the brightening or evening out of my skin tone with them that I get with L-Ascorbic acid.  I will say that I prefer MAP over SAP because it does seem to work some better.  I think 100% Pure may have a MAP serum but I haven't looked at it in awhile.  Good luck with whatever you try.  I think everyone's skin is different so no matter what others experience with certain products, your experience may be completely different.