Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of throwing away my Vit C serum

[ Edited ]

@River Song wrote:

@suzyQ3,

Yup, I gave up on the NCN Vit. C serum a while ago because it *never* stayed fresh for me for as long as they claimed it would.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my 15% L-ascorbic acid pre-mixed Vit. Serum from Skin Actives.  I do keep it in the refrigerator, though, since I live in a subtropical climate and it has never turned on me before I used up the bottle.  Plus, it's cheap.

If you want to try a MAP serum, I saw one on the ASDM Beverly Hills website called Lifting Contour Serum, in their luxury line.  The ingredient deck looks nice and I want to try it after I use up the Vit. C serum bottle I'm using.  It's $65 for 2 oz., not a horrible price especially if you wait for one of their sales.

Here's their product description and ingredient list (but doesn't list % of MAP in it, though):

What it is: This delectable sculpting serum seeps into cells for visible lifting & hydration. Matrikine peptide technology targets signs of photo-induced aging, reducing fragmentation of collagen fibers and notably supporting the reconstruction of this fiber network. Ultra-concentrated formula is packed with Vitamin C, Matrixyl 3000, Glycan Booster, Hyauronic Acid, Vitamin E, Honey Extract, & Aloe Vera. Refreshing & hydrating, this serum will naturally sculpt a more refined silhouette, lifting and firming skin at the dermal layer.

Ingredients: Distilled water, Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Matrixyl 3000, [Saccharide isomerate, water, citric acid, sodium citrate], Glycan Booster, Sodium Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), Honey Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, [Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin], Lactobacillus Ferment

How funny. In looking for that serum on their site, I found that they have a MAP-based Vit C serum, with 15 percent MAP, for $30

I'll check out the ingredients. That would be better for me than the one you mentioned because currently I do use a Matrixyl serum, although I'm thinking of dropping that one as well. Not sure yet.

Thanks so much, @River Song

ETA: I see that even the Vit C serum includes Matrixyl.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've been using JJLabs (recommended here), they make them upon order, in all different strengths.  I have not had any problems with it.  I personally prefer ascorbic acid.

Now I just ordered the ConsultBeaute kit which has a serum concentrate that contains ascorbic, so Im hoping this will be enough.   I remember Mad Hippie balled up and flaked for some reason.

Super Contributor

I just ordered the Vitamin C Serum from Drunk Elephant along with their Glycolic Serum.  Dermstore has them both on sale but I think the sale ends tonight.  I can't really review either since I just got them both today.  I did try the Glycolic serum tonight and it didn't sting at all!  I have had a hard time finding a Vitamin C Serum that I really love.  A lot of them do go bad before I can use them all.  I emailed Drunk Elephant asking the shelf life of the Vitamin C but haven't heard back yet. 

Trusted Contributor

@myshell624 wrote:

I just ordered the Vitamin C Serum from Drunk Elephant along with their Glycolic Serum.  Dermstore has them both on sale but I think the sale ends tonight.  I can't really review either since I just got them both today.  I did try the Glycolic serum tonight and it didn't sting at all!  I have had a hard time finding a Vitamin C Serum that I really love.  A lot of them do go bad before I can use them all.  I emailed Drunk Elephant asking the shelf life of the Vitamin C but haven't heard back yet. 

I highly recommend the Drunk Elephant Glycolic serum.  I've been using it nightly for a couple of weeks and LOVE it.  Noticed a difference in the texture and appearance of my skin within a couple of days with no irritation (I had been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA which is ok, but much prefer the Drunk Elephant).  It might be too much if you have really dry skin, but I think it's great for combo/oily skin.  It's also one of the few lines that gets all 5 star ratings from Beautypedia FWIW.  It's very pricey, but totally worth it to me.

I have a small size of the Vitamin C serum but haven't tried it yet.  It gets fantastic reviews by some of my favorite You Tubers but I have had problems with other Vitamin C serums breaking me out so wanted to wait until a few weeks after starting the glycolic.  I'm curious to know if you end up liking it.

Honored Contributor

I use and love Drunk Elephant on my combo skin.!

Have had NO problems with it turning, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd bottle.

It is pricey.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I have the drunken elephant vit c and have been using it the last few days.  No bad reactions but too soon to give a review for any results. The bottle says it is good for 24 mos.  I have a couple dark patches on my face that I would like to lighten. 

It is pricey but if it works. The packaging is very cheap in a sense.  Just sort of that cheap plastic but I don't care about packaging.  It is an air tight bottle.  ...and I love that it is cruelty free. 

It does get rave reviews so keeping my fingers crossed.  

Super Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@myshell624 wrote:

I highly recommend the Drunk Elephant Glycolic serum.  I've been using it nightly for a couple of weeks and LOVE it.  Noticed a difference in the texture and appearance of my skin within a couple of days with no irritation (I had been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA which is ok, but much prefer the Drunk Elephant).  It might be too much if you have really dry skin, but I think it's great for combo/oily skin.  It's also one of the few lines that gets all 5 star ratings from Beautypedia FWIW.  It's very pricey, but totally worth it to me.

I have a small size of the Vitamin C serum but haven't tried it yet.  It gets fantastic reviews by some of my favorite You Tubers but I have had problems with other Vitamin C serums breaking me out so wanted to wait until a few weeks after starting the glycolic.  I'm curious to know if you end up liking it.

Yay!  I'm glad you like the Glycolic serum.  I have combo skin so I'm not concerned with it drying me out.  I like that it has 1% salicylic acid too since I occasionally get breakouts.  These two serums have been on my wishlist for awhile.  I jumped on them when I saw the sale on Dermstore!  LOL.

Super Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I have the drunken elephant vit c and have been using it the last few days.  No bad reactions but too soon to give a review for any results. The bottle says it is good for 24 mos.  I have a couple dark patches on my face that I would like to lighten. 

It is pricey but if it works. The packaging is very cheap in a sense.  Just sort of that cheap plastic but I don't care about packaging.  It is an air tight bottle.  ...and I love that it is cruelty free. 

Where did you see it's good for 24 months on the bottle?  I looked the box and bottle over and didn't see it.

Respected Contributor

@myshell624 wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Where did you see it's good for 24 months on the bottle?  I looked the box and bottle over and didn't see it.

On the bottle, on one of the sides that has no writing on it.  Down  on the bottom of that side.  It has the little open jar symbol that reads 24 mos, you will also see a elephant and a bunny and something else. 

Regular Contributor

I just started the Drunken Elephant Vitamin C serum as well. I almost hope I don't like it because of the price.