Contributor

I am 57 years old and not getting younger. I am getting sick of hearing about aging as some kind of unnatural disease. The term "anti-aging" is beginning to get on my nerves. Is anyone else feeling this way too?

Skin care lines are just out of control with their promises. I have wrinkles and I would look unnatural at my age with them all smoothed out. I am sick of them telling me that some expensive cream will make me look years younger. I am just going to really focus on being healthy and accept my age with joy!!!

As far as skin care goes, I will use just one product for my congested pores and one product for my dry skin and sunscreen to protect me from skin cancer. I am not buying into any more creams for the "appearance of wrinkles" or sagging or loss of brightness or any other dreaded symptom of aging.

I watched Kristi Brinkley selling her new skin care line at such a reduced rate and it made me laugh. Like her beauty came from three small jars (which if I don't purchase right now will cost me 4 times as much) - ridiculous. Thanks for listening.

Super Contributor

I'm with you. I've not given up, so to speak, but I'm not buying into all the sooooo much $$$ I've spent on creams and lotions. Yea for those blessed with good genes, other than that, we get older, and it's just a fact of life. I miss my younger self in more ways than one, but I'm still here (as Whoppie G. said in 'purple').

Respected Contributor

I just turned 60, and feel the same way! I've never been one to use a ton of skincare anyway, but right now I'm using WEN oils and replenishing treatment mists after cleansing with Cetaphil (sometimes mixed with a pump of 613) and that is it. Before that, I was using St. Ives moisturizer and was happy with it...but since I have this other stuff around at the moment and it works, why not use it?

Oh, and I'll soon quit coloring my hair, too...want to see what it looks like "natural", then I'll decide whether to color again or not. Right now, I'm just getting a "toner" put on it every two months while my highlights grow out.

Aging is NOT a disease!

Super Contributor

Some of the presentations are so demeaning and offensive to older women. Making remarks about turkey neck, sagging, your face melting ,(Manuela) and how you want to pull your face back- just makes me feel so terrible-like no one would want to look at my aged ugly sagging neck. I don't think it is worth it to watch these shows anymore, they just make me feel terrible and I do not want my self worth to be lessen by listening to these women scream on about aging.

I told my daughter I am ok with aging, not wanting to color my hair and be authentic and I do not believe I am horrible looking due to some wrinkles and sagging. ridiculing/shaming/undermining women to get them to buy some creams is apparently working- they make money but I am not buying into that scam.

Contributor
On 3/11/2015 dnna said:

Some of the presentations are so demeaning and offensive to older women. Making remarks about turkey neck, sagging, your face melting ,(Manuela) and how you want to pull your face back- just makes me feel so terrible-like no one would want to look at my aged ugly sagging neck. I don't think it is worth it to watch these shows anymore, they just make me feel terrible and I do not want my self worth to be lessen by listening to these women scream on about aging.

I told my daughter I am ok with aging, not wanting to color my hair and be authentic and I do not believe I am horrible looking due to some wrinkles and sagging. ridiculing/shaming/undermining women to get them to buy some creams is apparently working- they make money but I am not buying into that scam.

Very well said. I'm also tired of being made like us gals over 50 are dried up and worthless. Nothing is "anti-aging," you're still aging, regardless of what miracle lotions and potions they want us to buy. Women on "anti-aging" commercials look to be early twenties at best, and the older women are air-brushed and their look is softened. I'm tired of the beauty industry treating older women like we're stupid.

Honored Contributor

You ladies sound like you're ready for some pro-age. Have you visited Cindy Joseph's site?

http://blog.boombycindyjoseph.com/

http://www.boombycindyjoseph.com/

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 just bee said:

You ladies sound like you're ready for some pro-age. Have you visited Cindy Joseph's site?

http://blog.boombycindyjoseph.com/

http://www.boombycindyjoseph.com/

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

I think the skincare marketers are having a hey day with the term, however, I can't say that I am pro aging.

It's not like when I was 14 & 15 and couldn't wait to be 16 in order to drive. That's it, though, the only time I wished I were older.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm okay with aging, it's the health issues that may come with the package. I may not be comfortable with a line or wrinkle that wasn't there for so many years but I figure I've earned my stripes.

Forget the anti-aging hype and products. They offer false hope to many and false promises (promises can be broken).

I've seen the gal in the pic but not visited her site.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I don't blame you. I've never been one to spend a lot on skin products.

I just use soap and water and some moisturizer from Avon. And some stuff for puffy eyes caused by medical problem. I wear the same type makeup I've worn for 50 years.

I dye my hair ... but I've done that for years.

My "anti-aging" money is spent on hearing aids, eyeglasses, physical therapy and gym membership!