Regular Contributor

Tips on nail polish removal?

So the new pedi color I've been wearing from Butter London (Rosie Lee) has glitter in it and I'm having a hard time removing it. The Butter London remover and my generic non acetone remover aren't doing the trick. Any tips on how to get this stuff off or suggestions for polish remover brands? Thanks! Celtic
Respected Contributor

Re: Tips on nail polish removal?

Yes, well non acetone nail remover doesn't work. It's extremely hard to remove polish let alone glitter polish. Buy acetone polish remover and you problem is solved. Easy to fix.

Super Contributor

Hi CelticAngel, you will probably need to use pure acetone (Sally Beauty) for easiest removal. For toes, you could cut toenail-sized pieces of cotton ball, saturate with acetone, and wrap each toe with a small piece of aluminum foil. Depending on how many coats of glitter polish you have on, it should take 3-5 min. and then, use a clean cotton ball to sweep off the small cotton ball pieces and the glitter won't scatter so badly. I love B.L. "Rose" too!

ETA: Then moisturize!

Lola
Honored Contributor

FYI, Walmart sells big bottles of pure acetone.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Skylands. I can't remember why I didn't get the acetone version anyway. CelticAngel
On 6/1/2014 Skylands said:

Yes, well non acetone nail remover doesn't work. It's extremely hard to remove polish let alone glitter polish. Buy acetone polish remover and you problem is solved. Easy to fix.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought 2 similar nail polishes from Avon.com -- and threw them out.

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for the tips, Lola! I will give your tips a try. You're so right about the glitter scattering too. Hadn't thought of giving my toes a remover 'treatment' but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks again! CelticAngel
On 6/1/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

Hi CelticAngel, you will probably need to use pure acetone (Sally Beauty) for easiest removal. For toes, you could cut toenail-sized pieces of cotton ball, saturate with acetone, and wrap each toe with a small piece of aluminum foil. Depending on how many coats of glitter polish you have on, it should take 3-5 min. and then, use a clean cotton ball to sweep off the small cotton ball pieces and the glitter won't scatter so badly. I love B.L. "Rose" too!

ETA: Then moisturize!

Regular Contributor

Heading over to Wally World tomorrow!
On 6/1/2014 Shelbelle said:

FYI, Walmart sells big bottles of pure acetone.

Respected Contributor

I use felt squares from the craft dept at Wal-Mart...I cut them from a big piece. It helps grab the glitter.I hold it on on the nail and let it soak first. If I want to wear glitter for one or two night I use an elmers glue basecoat...the whole polish peels right off with no damage. It so cool!

Esteemed Contributor

Don't forget to check the prices on acetone in the paint department They are great and you get enough to share.