Regular Contributor

Tipping your hairdresser/stylist

Hi all. I have a question that been bothering me for awhile. I've been going to the same person for a long time. However she has changed salons about a year ago. We are friends too. Not going out friends but social media friends.. she is excellent and very precise with everything she does. You aren't finished until she is happy with how you look. I think I tip.good but the bottom line is that I dont know if I really do or not. I had color, highlights and a cut.. cost 180.. tip I gave was $30.. is that a good tip, keep in mind I've been going to her for a long time. Is there some kind of chart or a way to know what an appropriate tip is? Thank you#
Regular Contributor

Re: Tipping your hairdresser/stylist

Honored Contributor

Well you're giving her better than a 15% tip.  A 15% tip would be $27, so it's like your giving her another $3 for shampooing (or to give to who does shampoo you).

I have always tipped 20% because it was easier to figure out than 15%.  lol.

Respected Contributor

Always tip 20% not matter what.

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I really don't know if you tip a stylist as you would a waitress.. that can be 15-20%.. thanks again.
Valued Contributor

I always tip my hairdresser 20% , and she owns her own shop. Hth!
Honored Contributor

@coffeegal wrote:
Thank you. I really don't know if you tip a stylist as you would a waitress.. that can be 15-20%.. thanks again.

Oh!  I just saw your pic.  Your hair is a cute short cut. 

My hair is long and a stylist would spend a lot more time with coloring, highlighting, blowdrying is a workout.

They charge according to length at my salon and I tip according to that charge.

I think what amount you gave is fine. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it is a good tip. Most guidelines I have read suggest 15 to 20%

Respected Contributor

your tip is right in line, but i don't understand all the other things you were saying.  it doesn't matter how long you've been going to her or that you are social media friends.  business is business and you are doing just fine with what  you are paying her. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Proper tipping etiquette is 15-20%.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.