Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping question - getting a facial

Maybe ask if she is allowed to accept tips!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Never had one of those facials, but, imho, a $30 tip is ridonkulous! Just think one should tip for the service, time, effort, etc., not for the price of the service. For example, if a manicure always costs $30 but increased to $50 would the tip be increased at the same rate just because the cost of product increased? Still the same service. Just think tipping has become ridiculous as everybody expects a tip: e.g., go into Dunkies, wait in line, for a coffee and donut, and a tip is expected. Before you know it a tip will be expected for the attendant who pumps your gas!

Were you kidding here, or tongue in cheek? Because tips have been expected by gas station attendants who pump your gas as long as I've been driving. I always pump my own gas whenever possible, but I believe in NJ they don't, or didn't, have self-serve, so the situation was forced. I always tipped.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@BrerRabbit. I've only had a facial at a medical office twice and did not tip. I figured it'd be like tipping my dental hygienist. 

That's what I was thinking! Or the nurse who checks my blood pressure, temp, and weight. Or the ambulance driver! 

Medical professionals are out of the tipping pool.

Respected Contributor

Tipping has really gotten out of hand, IMO.  Businesses just expect customers to dole out money.  

There's a reason to tip someone -- but not for every single thing.  

My nail tech sets the price for a mani/pedi, then the customer is expected to dole out more $$$.

When is it going to stop?  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Never had one of those facials, but, imho, a $30 tip is ridonkulous! Just think one should tip for the service, time, effort, etc., not for the price of the service. For example, if a manicure always costs $30 but increased to $50 would the tip be increased at the same rate just because the cost of product increased? Still the same service. Just think tipping has become ridiculous as everybody expects a tip: e.g., go into Dunkies, wait in line, for a coffee and donut, and a tip is expected. Before you know it a tip will be expected for the attendant who pumps your gas!

Were you kidding here, or tongue in cheek? Because tips have been expected by gas station attendants who pump your gas as long as I've been driving. I always pump my own gas whenever possible, but I believe in NJ they don't, or didn't, have self-serve, so the situation was forced. I always tipped.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a station with an attendant.  All the gas stations around here are self-serve, have been for many years.

Honored Contributor

Good question.  I'm guessing no, but not really sure.

@BrerRabbit  Let us know what you find out.

Enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Why don't you call and, without giving your name, ask if tipping is appropriate? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@noodleann

I have never heard, nor seen anyone tip the gas station attendant. So no, I wasn't kidding.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Tipping has really gotten out of hand, IMO.  Businesses just expect customers to dole out money.  

There's a reason to tip someone -- but not for every single thing.  

My nail tech sets the price for a mani/pedi, then the customer is expected to dole out more $$$.

When is it going to stop?  

@Sunshine Kate

I was always taught proper ettiquette was to tip when dining out. Also, at the hair salon, most places have an envelope which you leave the cash in and the stylist doles out appropriate percentage to whomever, e.g., shampoo person. I've always tipped the manicurist; these people rent spaces, etc.  I agree with you tipping is out of hand. It is not something to be expected, it is for good service - above and beyond. Tipping someone for just doing their job is absurd. If you pump gas. that's your job. If you pour coffee, that's your job. Why over the past few years has it become expected to tip someone for just doing their job? Tipping seems to be expected on the lower pay-scale jobs.  Do these businesses expect to pay employees less and expect the general public to subsidize them?  Wherever I worked, those businesses would never allow even gifts at Christmas.  It's just gotta stop somewhere!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@noodleann

I have never heard, nor seen anyone tip the gas station attendant. So no, I wasn't kidding.

Me either and I grew up in NJ.  We still get gas filled in NJ occasionally and I never tipped nor have I ever heard of anyone tipping someone to fill up your tank.