Trusted Contributor

Re: Tipping at a Medical Spa

On 6/24/2014 Lanikins said:

I go to a Med Spa for my botox and had a recent laser procedure and I did not even consider tipping. The person I see is an Aesthetics RN. To me, this would be like offering a tip to the nurse who does my mammogram.

Yes, I agree. I don't think that either my sister or myself considered tipping until I saw that sign. Now, she says she feels funny about going back there. We are looking at another medispa. Should we ask upfront about tipping or is that tacky.

Respected Contributor

I would not tip at a Medical Spa ...botox injections..fillers etc..I consider those elective medical procedures just because insurance doesn't cover them - does that suggest a tip.

NOW if I had a facial at a spa then yes I would.

I detest tipping at the local stores where I pick up a cup of ice tea and donut. I sure would not want to where they make significantly higher.

I do think tipping has gone wild. I call in a Pizza Order go and pick it up and the receipt does have tip portion..

Esteemed Contributor

I am an aesthetician. If you are getting something done by a medical professional there is no need to tip but if a aesthetician is doing your service, it is customary to tip. Of course that is ultimately your choice but not many clients don't tip.

As for looking for another medspa, I don't know that you will find one that is so much different with tipping as the one you are at. That is pretty standard.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

OMG - Tipping Gone Wild.

I'm pulling WAY BACK on tipping.....no tips to my doctors, dentists, mortgage company, etc.

Occasional Contributor

My PS has an aesthetician who rents space in his office. She does accept tips, but I'm sure his staff does not accept tips.
Honored Contributor

I would think a true medical profession might get insulted if you offered them a tip.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 6/24/2014 CouponQueen said:

I would not tip at a Medical Spa ...botox injections..fillers etc..I consider those elective medical procedures just because insurance doesn't cover them - does that suggest a tip.

NOW if I had a facial at a spa then yes I would.

I detest tipping at the local stores where I pick up a cup of ice tea and donut. I sure would not want to where they make significantly higher.

I do think tipping has gone wild. I call in a Pizza Order go and pick it up and the receipt does have tip portion..

NO WAY would I ever tip for a pick up order.''

I'm wondering if the tipping has something to do with what is covered by medicare/insurance and what isn't. Does anyone know if that has any bearing on the topic?

Respected Contributor

This is no different than Hilton hotels placing tip envelops for their maids in their rooms to encourage guests to tip the maid. If they paid a living wage, none would be needed, especially off the books money.

Regular Contributor

I don't tip the Dr for injections like Botox & Fillers or if he does my IPL, skin tightening ETC...............

BUT I do tip for IPL, Facials, Hair removal ETC............. for the other gals WHICH as I think about it NOW................. IS getting to be A LOT much / out of hand

I think I may just slow it down and tip for a Facials ONLY - not for the Skin Tightening, IPL treatments, Hair removal ETC......

just Facials - i look at those same a manicure & pedicure

Respected Contributor

Never even considered tipping in this setting. And, I certainly don't tip just anyone because they chose to work at a low wage job. Not my problem. Gotta cut if off somewhere. It's gotten crazy with all the tips jars around. Looks like panhandling gone wild!