Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping Hairdresser + Buying Product

@dex

That is not true, unless your stylist works in a single person salon, I am sure my stylist does not get the amount I pay, she gets a salary and a small commission on each person she styles.

@dexwrote:

I sometimes wonder why we tip hairdressers..they make a lot of money.I pay 150 for cut and color which takes two hours max.Thats 75 dollars an hour.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox My stylist rents her spot as do all of the stylists in that salon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxoxwrote:

@dex

That is not true, unless your stylist works in a single person salon, I am sure my stylist does not get the amount I pay, she gets a salary and a small commission on each person she styles.

@dexwrote:

I sometimes wonder why we tip hairdressers..they make a lot of money.I pay 150 for cut and color which takes two hours max.Thats 75 dollars an hour.

This isn't always true either with people who work for a salon.

When I worked at a hair salon, the stylists made 50%-60%, depending on experience, of what they charged for their service.  They also made a commission on products they sold.  Then of course the tips.

Stylists in my area, unless they work at a walk-in type place like Great Clips, Famous Hair, etc., do not make a salary plus a small commission. 

Esteemed Contributor

Imho the salary should be negotiated between the hairdresser and owner, independent of tips!  It is not the customer's responsibility to support the hairdresser, imo, nor waitstaff, gas attendents, and the person who hands you your coffee thru the drive-up.

The butcher who serves you at the meat counter, nursing staff at a hospital,  or the teller at the bank do not get tips - they live on whatever salary they've accepted for employment as well they should.

Tips are for service above and beyond;:  not a salary subsidy!

Respected Contributor

Why would you tip for the service?  The hairdresser charges $ for haircut.  Why would you dole out more $$?

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine not tipping my stylist.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmamawrote:

Hi, I know this has been on this board before. I went to have my haircut today which  cost $60.00 plus I bought a product which costs $20.00. I only tipped for the haircut is this right? You wouldn't leave more of a tip because of the product I purchased would you?

I feel stupid asking this question but I think I did tip accordingly.What do you do? Thanks

@cuddlesmama  You just tip for the service.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandmewrote:

Imho the salary should be negotiated between the hairdresser and owner, independent of tips!  It is not the customer's responsibility to support the hairdresser, imo, nor waitstaff, gas attendents, and the person who hands you your coffee thru the drive-up.

The butcher who serves you at the meat counter, nursing staff at a hospital,  or the teller at the bank do not get tips - they live on whatever salary they've accepted for employment as well they should.

Tips are for service above and beyond;:  not a salary subsidy!

I don't know about the others you mentioned but nurses are Professional people and do not accept tips. They would lose their jobs for that. Occasionally when a nurse has a very special relationship with a patient they may buy you a gift.

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

I look at it this way...I’m tipping my stylist for her many years of experience.  She does something that I wouldn’t dare attempt on my own!

she also pays rent, pays utilities, pays for her products, and pays to go to continuing education classes.  

After all of this is taken into consideration, that brings the hourly rate way down...and there are people who are no shows, so she gets no pay when this happens.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dexwrote:

Most stylists are not getting what you pay for the cut and color. Some stylists work on an hourly wage (which can be around minimum wage) plus tips. Some stylists make an hourly wage and then a percentage of their services. Some stylists rent their chairs out on a weekly/monthly basis and pay for all of their products they use on you (shampoo, conditioners, color, etc..) and also pay for all of their ongoing education which can be very expensive.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK