Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tiny white flakes on my face --- what to do???

I have super sensitive skin and I've had those little "flakes". Here's what worked for me:

Clarisonic with the "brillance" brush head (it's the softess )

Once or twice a week I use a mild scrub. I like Dr.Denese exfoliating night time scrub but I have also used Philsophy fascial scrub. Philosophy also makes a daily micro scrub that I used a few times a week.  All work well on sensitive skin. I prefer the Dr. Denese because I have other skin issues and it works the best for my needs. 

You might consider changing your moisturizer. Do you use it day and night? A serum might produce better results for you skin. It absorbs quickly and gets down into the skin surface faster. Just something to think about.  I always approach a change to any item that I put on my face one at a time. i want to make sure that I don't react to it and if I do then I know the specific cause.

You might also consider changing the type of foundation you are using. There are many of the "all in one multi taskers" on the market. That works well for me because if I layer products, then I get break outs, etc. I've had good luck with Dr Denese Day cream, Laura Geller Balance & Brighton and Bobbi Brown foundation stick. Any of those work for me.

Hoep this gives you some choices.

Honored Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

I think that is face dandruff.   I went to the dermatologist and she presecribed a topical medication and it went away.

@QVCPhobe

Face dandruff??? Never heard of such a thing!  Yikes...

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

In order to apply makeup, etc. I have to use a magnifying mirror beause I just can't see much at all.  I am seeing lately little tiny white -- for lack of a better description - flakes of skin on my face.  Seems to be happening with the cold weather, use of more home heating or something! Any how, how do you handle this?  I don't know how much it shows in real dimension but I DO know that makeup application does not look very smooth no matter what kind I use.  I do use moisturizer faithfhfully.  I can't use anything terribly heavy to moisturize as it clogs my pores and makes me break out.  

I am wondering --- are the flakes because I need some type of exfoliation?  I have such sensitive skin that I cannot use those retonol (sp) products or scrubs.  Any suggestions of what I could do?  It's like the moisturizers,etc. Iam using are just laying on the top of my skin and not penetrating.  I think I need some type of sloughing.  

Is there a type of gentle cleansing cloth or toner, or what about those little rubber scrubby things -- would that all be too harsh?  

If any suggestions for products, I cannot use anything with fragrance.

I would be so appreciative of suggestions!!!!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1  It sounds like a good old fashioned case of dry skin. I have a humidifier in my room that runs all night. I added gentle PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads. They have a gentle acid that can be used every day, but I use them twice a week.

If you are not gently exfoliating your skin, your moisturizer can not penetrate. Please check the ingredients in products you are now using to be sure they are not harsh or irritating. Good luck and hope the flakes clear up soon.

@Shanus

Thanks.  I use very mild cleansers, moisturizers, etc.  I am hoping its just a case of the cold and bitter weather which is causing me to dry out.  I am going to use sometthing though to try and exfoliate a bit.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would start by changing your cleanser to one that is less harsh. 

Then try to use a product with glycolic acid (AHA).

Cotton muslin face cloths are also excellent to use for gentle exfoliation.

Here are the products I actually use:

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser $12

download (2).jpg

Alpha Skin Care 

ESSENTIAL RENEWAL CREAM WITH 10% AHA $15

download (1).jpg

Karlling 10 Cotton Facial Cleansing Muslin Cloths $8

91KT+K904rL._SY355_.jpg

@SilleeMee\\Thank you.  I'm not sure about all of these AHA products.  I may look into the cloths though.  

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

White sugar mixed with some olive oil. Super gentle. Dissolves quickly.

@Jacie

Thank you for your suggestions!

Honored Contributor

@KrissyE wrote:

Do you have a Clarisonic? I use mine with the sensitive skin brush and press lightly. It helps a lot in getting the dead skin off.

@KrissyE

No, I don't want to spend the money for this.  But I thank you for the suggestion. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

617JURC9GKL._SX522_.jpgI use a Wonder Cloth.  You can buy them at BB&B or Amazon.  I've used one for at least ten years and think they're great.  I just wash my face with cleanser and then use the Wonder Cloth.  It keeps my face nice and smooth.  I can't use retinol or other types of exfoliating products either.  This is perfect.  Just make sure you don't use fabric softener with them.

@NickNack

That sounds great.  No, I don't use fabric softeners any way.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

put  apple cider vinegar in a small  bottle. After you cleanse your face .Put some on a cotton ball and use as a toner all over your face . Do not get into eyes [after all it is vinegar . This is natural [I know it doesn't smell great]and it gently exfoliates and makes your skin very smooth . I understand Scarlett Johansen [who has a beautiful complexion ] uses it every nite , Give it a try , I like using it.Use your moisturizer after it dries.

cathy from ma

@twinkies

Do you dilute it??  Seems like it might be kind of harsh using is straight.  Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

What @Chicagosuburbangirl said -- I've always used a terrycloth washcloth to wash my face, rubbing the cleanser gently in tiny circles then rinsing well.   My complexion is also very sensitive, but I do occasionally use a gentle scrub or a mask (not so much in winter).  I have oily skin but will sometimes get tiny white flakes during winter - just a very gentle scrub and moisturizer gets rid of them for me. 

@tototwo

I haven't used a facial cloth in years because my face gets so irritated and red.  Maybe I will have to give it a try again.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I would use baking soda and water to remove the dead skin.

@henderson

Thank you!  I am a bit scare of using this on my face --- it's pretty abrasive, isn't it??