Valued Contributor

Re: Tiny white flakes on my face --- what to do???

I think that is face dandruff.   I went to the dermatologist and she presecribed a topical medication and it went away.

Trusted Contributor

I would use baking soda and water to remove the dead skin.

Respected Contributor

Gentle exfoliation might help. I make a paste of rice Bran powder and a liquid (usually rosewater).  It is mild enough for me to use every day but is effective for smoothing my skin without irritation.

Valued Contributor

put  apple cider vinegar in a small  bottle. After you cleanse your face .Put some on a cotton ball and use as a toner all over your face . Do not get into eyes [after all it is vinegar . This is natural [I know it doesn't smell great]and it gently exfoliates and makes your skin very smooth . I understand Scarlett Johansen [who has a beautiful complexion ] uses it every nite , Give it a try , I like using it.

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

put  apple cider vinegar in a small  bottle. After you cleanse your face .Put some on a cotton ball and use as a toner all over your face . Do not get into eyes [after all it is vinegar . This is natural [I know it doesn't smell great]and it gently exfoliates and makes your skin very smooth . I understand Scarlett Johansen [who has a beautiful complexion ] uses it every nite , Give it a try , I like using it.Use your moisturizer after it dries.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

617JURC9GKL._SX522_.jpgI use a Wonder Cloth.  You can buy them at BB&B or Amazon.  I've used one for at least ten years and think they're great.  I just wash my face with cleanser and then use the Wonder Cloth.  It keeps my face nice and smooth.  I can't use retinol or other types of exfoliating products either.  This is perfect.  Just make sure you don't use fabric softener with them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

You might want to try gently using a damp washcloth with your cleanser.

Use slight pressure in small, circular motions, never dragging it across or pulling your skin.

I find it also helps if the washcloth is just a little bit rougher in texture, not the super soft, fluffy type.

@Chicagosuburbangirl

Thank you!  I'll try that!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

In order to apply makeup, etc. I have to use a magnifying mirror beause I just can't see much at all.  I am seeing lately little tiny white -- for lack of a better description - flakes of skin on my face.  Seems to be happening with the cold weather, use of more home heating or something! Any how, how do you handle this?  I don't know how much it shows in real dimension but I DO know that makeup application does not look very smooth no matter what kind I use.  I do use moisturizer faithfhfully.  I can't use anything terribly heavy to moisturize as it clogs my pores and makes me break out.  

I am wondering --- are the flakes because I need some type of exfoliation?  I have such sensitive skin that I cannot use those retonol (sp) products or scrubs.  Any suggestions of what I could do?  It's like the moisturizers,etc. Iam using are just laying on the top of my skin and not penetrating.  I think I need some type of sloughing.  

Is there a type of gentle cleansing cloth or toner, or what about those little rubber scrubby things -- would that all be too harsh?  

If any suggestions for products, I cannot use anything with fragrance.

I would be so appreciative of suggestions!!!!  Thanks!

@AngelPuppy1   Don't use regular soap on your face.  Cetafil  is best.  I would put argon oil on at least at night.   Good Luck  You can get Cetafil anywhere.  My Dermatologist told me to use it.  I found it at Walamart.  Loreal also has a good selections of creams.   

@BalletBabe

I haven't used soap in eons.  I use very gentle products as my skin is very reactve and sensiive.  Thanks very much for your post!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to thank evryone for your replies and tips.  I am pressed for time right now but will reply to alll later.  Thanks so much --- I very much appreciate your help!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1What you are using for a face wash could be part of the problem with those dry flakes this time of year. Just a few suggestions you might want to take into consideration. After you cleanse use a natural toner like Heritage Rose Water which is very calming & hydrating. A excellent super light exfoliation is Tatcha's Rice Polish for dry or sensitive skin. You might also consider a hydrating Essence, I use Tatcha & it lasts a long time so imo some products are worth the price. I stopped using wash cloths & makeup wipes. I do a double cleanse when I wear makeup with a cleansing oil & a lighter facewash. Also when you skin is back to normal, you might want to consider using argan, Marula, or Rosehip Oil to seal in your moisturizer at night. Good Luck!