Honored Contributor

Tiny white flakes on my face --- what to do???

In order to apply makeup, etc. I have to use a magnifying mirror beause I just can't see much at all.  I am seeing lately little tiny white -- for lack of a better description - flakes of skin on my face.  Seems to be happening with the cold weather, use of more home heating or something! Any how, how do you handle this?  I don't know how much it shows in real dimension but I DO know that makeup application does not look very smooth no matter what kind I use.  I do use moisturizer faithfhfully.  I can't use anything terribly heavy to moisturize as it clogs my pores and makes me break out.  

I am wondering --- are the flakes because I need some type of exfoliation?  I have such sensitive skin that I cannot use those retonol (sp) products or scrubs.  Any suggestions of what I could do?  It's like the moisturizers,etc. Iam using are just laying on the top of my skin and not penetrating.  I think I need some type of sloughing.  

Is there a type of gentle cleansing cloth or toner, or what about those little rubber scrubby things -- would that all be too harsh?  

If any suggestions for products, I cannot use anything with fragrance.

I would be so appreciative of suggestions!!!!  Thanks!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Tiny white flakes on my face --- what to do???

You might want to try gently using a damp washcloth with your cleanser.

Use slight pressure in small, circular motions, never dragging it across or pulling your skin.

I find it also helps if the washcloth is just a little bit rougher in texture, not the super soft, fluffy type.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

In order to apply makeup, etc. I have to use a magnifying mirror beause I just can't see much at all.  I am seeing lately little tiny white -- for lack of a better description - flakes of skin on my face.  Seems to be happening with the cold weather, use of more home heating or something! Any how, how do you handle this?  I don't know how much it shows in real dimension but I DO know that makeup application does not look very smooth no matter what kind I use.  I do use moisturizer faithfhfully.  I can't use anything terribly heavy to moisturize as it clogs my pores and makes me break out.  

I am wondering --- are the flakes because I need some type of exfoliation?  I have such sensitive skin that I cannot use those retonol (sp) products or scrubs.  Any suggestions of what I could do?  It's like the moisturizers,etc. Iam using are just laying on the top of my skin and not penetrating.  I think I need some type of sloughing.  

Is there a type of gentle cleansing cloth or toner, or what about those little rubber scrubby things -- would that all be too harsh?  

I would be so appreciative of suggestions!!!!  Thanks!

@AngelPuppy1   Don't use regular soap on your face.  Cetafil  is best.  I would put argon oil on at least at night.   Good Luck  You can get Cetafil anywhere.  My Dermatologist told me to use it.  I found it at Walamart.  Loreal also has a good selections of creams.   

Esteemed Contributor

What @Chicagosuburbangirl said -- I've always used a terrycloth washcloth to wash my face, rubbing the cleanser gently in tiny circles then rinsing well.   My complexion is also very sensitive, but I do occasionally use a gentle scrub or a mask (not so much in winter).  I have oily skin but will sometimes get tiny white flakes during winter - just a very gentle scrub and moisturizer gets rid of them for me. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 you might want to incorporate an AHA cream to help with the flakes. Also, in know that @SilleeMee uses muslin cloths and may weigh in with her advice on that. 

Regular Contributor

Do you have a Clarisonic? I use mine with the sensitive skin brush and press lightly. It helps a lot in getting the dead skin off.

Honored Contributor

Very simple ,use a wash cloth.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

White sugar mixed with some olive oil. Super gentle. Dissolves quickly.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I would start by changing your cleanser to one that is less harsh. 

Then try to use a product with glycolic acid (AHA).

Cotton muslin face cloths are also excellent to use for gentle exfoliation.

Here are the products I actually use:

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser $12

download (2).jpg

Alpha Skin Care 

ESSENTIAL RENEWAL CREAM WITH 10% AHA $15

download (1).jpg

Karlling 10 Cotton Facial Cleansing Muslin Cloths $8

91KT+K904rL._SY355_.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I would be so appreciative of suggestions!!!!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1  It sounds like a good old fashioned case of dry skin. I have a humidifier in my room that runs all night. I added gentle PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads. They have a gentle acid that can be used every day, but I use them twice a week.

If you are not gently exfoliating your skin, your moisturizer can not penetrate. Please check the ingredients in products you are now using to be sure they are not harsh or irritating. Good luck and hope the flakes clear up soon.