Honored Contributor

Since my foundation is Bare Minerals, the "undercoat" of tinted moisturizer depends on how much coverage I need that day.  I tend to stick with just the Bare Minerals as time goes on and I relax my standards. 

Respected Contributor

@Pecky

I use a tinted moisturizer with SPF and I don't use foundation unless I'm going somewhere special and then only if it's in the evening. The problem I run into most though is that these are often shiny on me, even when they're touted as being matte, so I end up having to powder over them, which I really don't like to do. Oh well...

Respected Contributor

I use Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20, and I sometimes use it alone, but sometimes use a light foundation over it.  I like to wear a light foundation to work or if I'm going out at night or to a party, event, etc.  I usually use LM Tinted Moisturizer without foundation on weekends.  I don't need a lot of coverage, but I like how using a light foundation can give a little more of a "polished look."

The light foundation I use over the tinted moisturizer is Philosophy Hope in a Jar Fluid SPF 20 makeup.  I no longer like most of Philosophy's products, but this light foundation is great.  It's advertised as "light as air," and I would definitely agree,  Light coverage, but adds just a bit of "polish." 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I love the idea of tinted moisturizer.  Unfortunately, I need a bit more coverage and always searching tor the elusive coverage yet totally natural look/feel.

@phoenixbrd  Have you ever tried Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer?  I find it to have a bit more coverage than most TMs, while still being sheer and natural looking. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@I like celery

I've read many recommendations for the LM tinted moisturizer on this board but have never tried it. What would you say the finish is? Is it dewey, matte or...? TIA

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@I like celery

I've read many recommendations for the LM tinted moisturizer on this board but have never tried it. What would you say the finish is? Is it dewey, matte or...? TIA

@Texasmouse  It gives my face a hydrated look without being "dewy," if that makes sense.  I never feel it looks shiny or dewy -- just a healthy hydrated look.  I hope you can try a sample.  I think it's the best tinted moisturizer "out there," IMHO !  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

Texasmouse wrote:

@i like celery

@Texasmouse, Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer has what the industry would call a natural finish. I think the consumers may describe it as dewy.  It's definitely not matte unless your skin is as dry as desert sand.  It's one of the few tinted mositurizers I feel can truly stand in for a foundation for those who want a light coverage.  It also is not so thick that it couldn't be used as a base for anyone who may need to add additional foundation in spots where a bit more coverage is required. 

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse  I would never describe Laura Mercier's TM as "dewy," but that's JMHO.  Even on days where I've used a bit more TM than I normally do, it never looks. "dewy."  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse, One more thing I forgot to mention about Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer is the shade range.  Many companies will limit the range in tinted moisturizer and BB/CC creams to 4 or 5, even if they offer quite a few in foundations.  Their excuse is the moisturizer is light enough to be more forgiving with color matching.  I believe Mercier offers at least 15 shades, and these options help us get a better skintone match with hers.  

Respected Contributor

I really like Perricone's Tinted Face Moisturizer. I often use this as a primer and ithas an spf I can tolerate.