Trusted Contributor

Thoughts on Asorbic Acid (Vit c) serum lactic or gycolic acid

I heard about these products on a YouTube channel.
I have scrubs and peels, but she was speaking of serums.
Do you use these products
Have you’ve seen benefits
Which do you use
Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Asorbic Acid (Vit c) serum lactic or gycolic acid

@springers wrote:
I heard about these products on a YouTube channel.
I have scrubs and peels, but she was speaking of serums.
Do you use these products
Have you’ve seen benefits
Which do you use

@springers   I've been using a Vit. C serum every morning for many years. I see brighter skin and faded areas of a little sun damage from when I was younger. I use Obagi Professional C 20%.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Paula's Choice 15% Vit C serum in the morning, also her AHA(glycolic acid) 8% gel at night.  I do use a lighter cream over the Vit C in the morning and a heavier one over the AHA at night.

I don't use a scrub, the AHA pretty much takes care of dead skin cells, and I do use a microfiber cloth.  I tried lactic acid with no improvement.

My skin is smoother and more hydrated and has less deep wrinkles with this regimen.  Sometimes I vary it and try new things, but almost always back to this.  I find it the best for my slightly sensitive, dryish and aging (72) skin.

Also use a gentle but effective cleanser, that helps a lot also.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 72.  I learned about the benefits of using a Vitamin C serum on this board several years ago.  I've used a Vit C serum every morning ever since.  It's the first thing I apply to my skin after I cleanse.  Every single day.   I started with Avalon Organics Vitamin C products.   I currently use either Derma-E serum (purchased at supermarket) or Amara Beauty (20%) purchased on Amara's website.   There are a million brands out there.  Find one that makes your skin happy and stick with it!

When I first started using a Vit C serum, I noticed a 'brightening' of my complexion after about 2 weeks.   After consistent use all these years, my brown age spots have lightened or disappeared.  My small reddish acne scars are less noticeable or gone.  My complexion is a more even color and the surface is much smoother now than it was in my 50's. 

No overnight miracles, but the appearance of my skin did improve over the years.  I give credit to the Vit C in the morning and a retinol at night.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have thoughts, and also the excellent results that L-ascorbic acid & AHAs (glycolic acid) has done for me. There's been excellent research on both!

When your skin is slowing down in its natural turnover is a good time to use something that will nudge it along.

Lactic acid is the gentlest of all. I shouldn't think there is any break-in period.

I began using AHAs w/ Paula's Choice, since hers was a low 8%. Lowest percentages are best, IMO, and I continue to use them. If your skin is not used to them, you may experience some irritation, so you need an ease-in period in order for your skin to adjust.

Same w/ L-ascorbic. 

There are other more gentler forms of vitamin C, so you may want to research them. No break-in necessary. But also, maybe pros & cons with the different topical C forms.

Since I changed my regimen 10+ years ago, my skin texture has greatly improved, visible lines have been smoothed out and are at bay, I have even over-all tone, firmness & skin luster.

Respected Contributor

@springers 

Last September I changed my routine: switched to using the Foreo ( gave away the Clarisonic)  and began using L'Oréal Glycolic Acid 10% every night.

Within days I could feel and see a real difference on this 76-year old skin....just as a few posters' results have stated.  Smooth, clear and brighter.  

When I had my microdermabrasion appointment, the aesthetician wanted to know what I was doing differently because of the brightness.

Another benefit:  pores much less noticeable ( I use a high-powered mirror ) and no breakouts.

At first, there was a slight tingling when I applied the glycolic, but that disappeared early on.

Good luck with your search !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

The latest and greatest C is supposed to be one that is ethylated, so I am about to try Isomers C with Ferulic. 

Honored Contributor

Imo THD ascorbic acid is the best for aging skin. It's the most stable and is an oil-based form of the vitamin.

Super Contributor

Adding to @SilleeMee's good advice, here is a nice glycolic, lactic & salicylic serum to try. I  have used Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Pads, Dr. Denese's Facial Firming Pads, and like this a lot. I found it at TJMaxx. I particularly like the products are pH balanced.59A13752-018D-4B83-A308-B7B38746F734.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My DD uses the Bliss glycolic peel pads and swears by them.  I use Paula's Choice C15 booster.  I've only been using it a few weeks so can't really say how this particular product does.  I don't notice any difference but dark spots on my face aren't any worse.  I also put it on the back of my hands and will say a few of those brown spots are fading. I've used other vitamin c products and dark spot fading products but decided to try Paula's as it got good reviews and I trust her products.