Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts On Micellar Water ?

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I always just rinse well after using one of these.  If you don't have heavy makeup on, is it really necessary to use another cleanser after this???  

Same thing with the cloths, I use one and then just rinse well.  Do you need to use another cleanser after this if you just need to cleanse your face without makeup or you don't have a lot of makeup on?  

I believe it's necessary. Micelar water is made with oil. Oil won't just rinse away unless you maybe use very hot water, which is very bad for your skin and will dry it out..  It needs something to emulsify the residual oil and break it up first. Then rinse with warm water.

Wipes are also bad for the skin, IMO.  They do not thoroughly cleanse, for one thing.  The makeup and/or dirt get impacted in the pores.  Done repeatedly, they get enlarged and congested over time due to the crud that's packed in them and not completely washed out.   If the wipes have an oily component, it's the same thing - it will still cling to the face unless rinsed with hot water or emulsified and rinsed.

I realize life can't be about never and always all the time.  Sometimes a compromise is made due to circumstances.  On a very occasional basis, your practice likely won't harm you long term, but as a rule proper cleansing is the foundation of good skincare.  

My two cents anyway.  If you're happy with your complexion stick with what you prefer.  If you're not, this may be an area where you need to make adjustments.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like to use micellar water especially to remove sunscreen quickly on my face, arms and legs. I just use a face cloth and douse it with MW and do the wipe down. Of course follow-up with regular cleansing later. I just like that it's a fast way to remove stuff I don't want on me like sunscreen.

The only thing about most MWs is that they contain a certain type of preservative (polyhexamethylene biguanide) which is a known carcinogen. If you want to avoid using it then go for the Bioderma brand which doesn't contain it. 

I did not realize Garnier contained a carcinogen Woman Sad 

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee 

If you're using Garnier MW then check your bottle for the ingredient. I just looked at my bottle of Garnier and it doesn't have it. So It might be contained in a select few.

Honored Contributor

My feelings are that it's just ok.  Nothing special.  Doesn't seem to take my eye makeup off very well and I use regular mascara.  I do have a small bottle of the Garnier on hand for mornings if I want to use it but I don't consider it a cleanser, more like a refresher. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Iwantcoffee 

If you're using Garnier MW then check your bottle for the ingredient. I just looked at my bottle of Garnier and it doesn't have it. So It might be contained in a select few.

@SilleeMee  I don't see polyhexamethylene biguanide on the ingredient list on the bottle I am using. I purchased a duo on Amazon and it is listed as an ingredient.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Iwantcoffee 

@SilleeMee  I don't see polyhexamethylene biguanide on the ingredient list on the bottle I am using. I purchased a duo on Amazon and it is listed as an ingredient.

@Iwantcoffee 

Yes, I noticed that, too. What I'm seeing is that the ingredients on the bottle don't match what is shown on the website for both Amazon and Garnier's. I don't know what to make of it so for now I'm going by what is listed on the bottle.

Honored Contributor

The last item I looked at that listed ingredients (can't remember if it was Amazon or another site) actually had a disclaimer stating that the ingredients might be different than on the bottle, in which case you should go by what is on the bottle.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thanks for your reply to my questions.  I don't use these 2 things all the time but do admit that when I'm extra tired or rushed, I do resort to them.  I don't see the point to them then if they require an extra step in cleansing.  I thought they were supposed to be a quick way to cleanse the face.  I guess I am lazy because I want a --- one and done!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thanks for your reply to my questions.  I don't use these 2 things all the time but do admit that when I'm extra tired or rushed, I do resort to them.  I don't see the point to them then if they require an extra step in cleansing.  I thought they were supposed to be a quick way to cleanse the face.  I guess I am lazy because I want a --- one and done!  

@AngelPuppy1 makeup removal and actual cleansing are two different things, but certain manufacturers, advertisers, and vendors will try to convince you differently, IMO

I've followed a two-step cleaning routine at night for years, with only an occasional exception here and there, due to being too tired, and when I was recovering from surgery and couldn't bend over my sink, so I only cleansed once daily when I showered.  I wasn't wearing makeup then anyway.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Yes, that's how they seem to advertise them!  I don't wear makeup daily as I only wear it when I go out -- which isn't very much, so I don't think this is a problem for me.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin