Esteemed Contributor

Those Who Make Their Own Vitamin C (w/ L-ascorbic) ~ L-ascorbic Acid

I know there are some DIY recipes floating around, but I just read that as soon as L-ascorbic acid is mixed with water, that it starts oxidizing, making the C ineffective, and even dangerous in that it increases the formation of free radicals.

Was this something you all were aware of already? And, also, what do you mix your L-ascorbic powders with?

Maybe this is also a heads-up to those of us who use L-ascorbic on an H2O damp face...I've been leaving my face damp w/ Rose water & glycerin.

Any thoughts on this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those Who Make Their Own Vitamin C (w/ L-ascorbic) ~ L-ascorbic Acid

"as soon as L-ascorbic acid is mixed with water, that it starts oxidizing, making the C ineffective"

That doesn't seem accurate, does it?

I never felt that my topical C was ineffective in any way. From Linus Pauling, what destroys C is heat, light & air. In fact, from LP, the body utilizes C (orally) by increasing water intake.

(Of course, I ingest a lot of vitamin C, too.)

Honored Contributor

There are different forms of Vitamin C available that could be used for incorporation into a skincare product with L-Ascorbic acid being one. I have seen that some of them do become ineffective when mixed with water, but don't remember which one. A good place for info, and even some DIY recipes is the forums at Essential Day Spa dot com.

Esteemed Contributor

See what snow days bring? Public conversations with one's self, and a hefty Sephora order! Smiley Happy

Well, I do have L-ascorbic vitamin C powder, and I'm wondering what to mix it with. The first and only time I attempted DIY vitamin C serum, I irritated my skin!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Icegoddess said:

There are different forms of Vitamin C available that could be used for incorporation into a skincare product with L-Ascorbic acid being one. I have seen that some of them do become ineffective when mixed with water, but don't remember which one. A good place for info, and even some DIY recipes is the forums at Essential Day Spa dot com.

Thanks, Icedoggess!

Super Contributor

I make my own which is ONLY Vit C + H2O. I used distilled water. I was searching for a DIY recipe but just got frustrated by the endless variations and conflicting advice. I put it in a dark Isomers bottle and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, then toss it. I have no idea if it's doing anything or not.

I'm dithering between the NCN VitaminC serum (Mad Hippie would be fine, too) OR wondering if Ole Henriksen's Truth serum would take care of the Vitamin C PLUS Green Tea all in one product. I haven't found a definitive answer, yet, so while I'm flaling around, I'm just continuing to make my own C and Green Tea. Again, don't know if they're actually beneficial.

Because of those cautions (degrading, ineffectiveness) I've decided to get commercial serums (and hope they have the problems solved!), but I just can't decide on whether to get the single serums or the all-in-one (hopefully) Ole H. Think I'd better email him. :-)

Bottom line, to be sure, I'd go with a commercial product because all the conflicting info we come across is crazy-making!