Honored Contributor

Those Extremely Close Shot Beauty Shows......

......are thankfully not the norm anymore.  I notice Mary Beth's Laura Geller show on now is done like the beauty shows used to be.  Unfortunately, those very tight close up shows with the camera zoomed in were usually quite jarring.  They just did not show the host, or the beauty item they were trying to sell, in their best setting.  Nothing against the hosts, but that close in HD is a very tough thing to pull off for anyone.

The only time I think it works are for true beauty demonstration shows like Elise's Get Ready Gorgeous weekly show, and perhaps Shawn's Dare to Share Beauty weekly shows.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Those Extremely Close Shot Beauty Shows......

MB ain't no spring chicken, so lines and wrinkles are a turn off.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

MB ain't no spring chicken, so lines and wrinkles are a turn off.

Same for Jane.....😳

Honored Contributor

Mary Beth still has a lovely demeanor and those beautiful blue eyes. Beyond that, she is a woman embracing her age and not doing the treatments and invasive procedures we are so used to seeing in women and men on television. Brava to her! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

......are thankfully not the norm anymore.  I notice Mary Beth's Laura Geller show on now is done like the beauty shows used to be.  Unfortunately, those very tight close up shows with the camera zoomed in were usually quite jarring.  They just did not show the host, or the beauty item they were trying to sell, in their best setting.  Nothing against the hosts, but that close in HD is a very tough thing to pull off for anyone.

The only time I think it works are for true beauty demonstration shows like Elise's Get Ready Gorgeous weekly show, and perhaps Shawn's Dare to Share Beauty weekly shows.  

@Caaareful Shopper   Those 2 hosts are also much younger. Amy and Courtney have also done closeups for makeup or jewelry.

Honored Contributor

HD certainly doesn't hide anything, or at least much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering if the hair and makeup people are back on set. Some hosts are still talking about doing their own hair and makeup. 

For HD, may times, makeup is applied with an airbrush technique. It can hide a third arm. LOL 

Until then, back away from the camera. I don't see the male hosts coming in for their closeups. 

Respected Contributor

I sometimes do a double take when I see the really tight shots of the hosts who have been with QVC for decades, but then I appreciate the HONESTY of them.  I realize HD is harsh on everyone,  but I'd rather see a beauty product demonstrated on REAL 50, 60, 70 year old skin, then have things airbrushed and everything look magically fabulous....   unlike how it will  more likely actually apply when you get is home.  Show us how the concealer looks on real skin,  if the blush settles into lines or looks dry,  if the foundation melts into creases or sits on top of them.  Although it would be wonderful to have 20 or 30 year old skin decades later,  I appreciate the honesty of the unfiltered close ups.  I also appreciate seeing make up and skin care demonstrated on skin of various decades and not just those under 40.  

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I sometimes do a double take when I see the really tight shots of the hosts who have been with QVC for decades, but then I appreciate the HONESTY of them.  I realize HD is harsh on everyone,  but I'd rather see a beauty product demonstrated on REAL 50, 60, 70 year old skin, then have things airbrushed and everything look magically fabulous....   unlike how it will  more likely actually apply when you get is home.  Show us how the concealer looks on real skin,  if the blush settles into lines or looks dry,  if the foundation melts into creases or sits on top of them.  Although it would be wonderful to have 20 or 30 year old skin decades later,  I appreciate the honesty of the unfiltered close ups.  I also appreciate seeing make up and skin care demonstrated on skin of various decades and not just those under 40.  

@nyc1   I've always been an advocate for pro-aging gracefully. I don't think those closeups are selling skincare or makeup...just the opposite. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Good post, @nyc1 .  Alas, we can't be 20 forever.  For some to say that wrinkles are a turn off to see, wow, is all I can say to that.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!