Honored Contributor

Re: This might be a dumb question about WEN

@Drythe wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Katilein wrote:

just wondering why Chaz is still,selling his stuff, when he just paid out a huge lawsuit. Did he change the formula? If he did I must have missed that announcement. I too lost a lot of hair, but was never contacted by either Qvc or his company directly., or if I had to contact them. Too late now anyways and probably way over talked as far as that lawsuit is concerned. 

A settlement is usually done with no admission of guilt on the part of the defendant and also means the plaintiff did not have to prove their case. With neither of those things, there's no reason to stop selling the product.

LOADS of companies have settled class actions suits for products still sold and used today. Cars, tobacco, drugs still holding FDA approval, all kinds of things. A class action settlement is common and does not mean much.

@Alison Wonderland

@CamilleP

Thanks for your cogent responses.

I’ll just add, a settlement also means that in general the plaintiffs did not have a very viable case, and decided to settle for they could get.  

Yet, other items still sold here have paid settlements, but they don’t seem to come up up for questioning here on the B.B.,  rhetorically I ask my self why.

I'll add that a settlement could also mean the defendants knew they had a very problematic case and/or didn't want the expense of a trial and/or didn't want the bad publicity so they offered the plaintiffs a settlement they couldn't refuse.

I don't use WEN so I don't really care one way or the other but I cannot believe how passionate and downright cranky some people get over these products.  

I will say it strikes me as odd that Chaz isn't on QVC nearly as much as he used to be?  Coincidence?  Waiting for the dust to clear?  Oversaturation on QVC?  

Valued Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Why are there different formulas?!  And what are the differences? Call me crazy, but I like to know what I’m buying is the same product no matter where I purchase it from. 

@Ifeelwicked

Seemed as if you were asking a couple of questions; I guess those trickey question marks fooled me.  Smiley Happy

LOL  I’ll watch my tricky punctuation from now on. (Could be I watch too much 

Jeopardy! 😉)  Have a great weekend!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katilein  IMO your question is not dumb, to my knowledge Chaz did need to settle with customers, but did not change his formula. My personal opinion is that some people are allergic to something that is in his CC. I too had a lot of fall out when I used his Tea Tree and Lavender options. I simply stopped using it and took the supplement biotin for 6 months and my hair filled in. I missed my WEN so I started back, but only use his seasonals and no problem. I never did have thick hair, but my hair styles so nice and looks thick and full using WEN products. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks for that. Those are the 2 I was using as well...and I’m taking biotin as well.
Contributor

FWIW,  Wen (so far from QV C) has made my hair less frizzy, and I seem to lose less. I did find that I had to follow the directions for it to work right. (I know, seems simple but before I always considered "lather, rinse, repeat" to just be a way to make one use up more shampoo).

Occasional Contributor

No Guthy-Renker is the PARENT company of Wen, NOT a distribution center. Making a distinction between QVC’s Wen products and Wen products in general is simply wrong.
The FDA does not regulate hair products, but was obligated to look at possible health issues with Wen products after receiving 5k+ complaints, and with followup found Wen was sitting on 21,000 additional complaints. Class action suit paid out from $25 to $20,000.00 per complaint. How, or what has changed within Guthy-Renker and their Wen brand I am not privy to at this time.
By the way, all the above information is public record.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guthy-Renker the company wen uses did not acknowledge that they know of any ingredients in wen to cause hair loss. I think if they accepted that they did then maybe then wen would be forced out of market. They just settled the lawsuit so i guess that means wen can still be sold to people. The lawsuit just tarnishes the image of wen for sure. Its just my guess. Now, if people buy it or not is another story. 

Now as for my experience, I was one of those people who used to rave about wen, I swore by it. I gave it to my family friends anyone who was having hair issues. I never wanted to believe that it was the cause of my hair issues. I bought everything, from cleansers, hair masks, hair oils, mousse, texture treatment, volumizing treatment, styling creame, hair mist, you name and I have it. I bought in bulk, hundreds and thousands of dollars worth. I truly believed it was my saving grace. 

I used it for about five years until I realized what it was doing to my hair. Dont get me wrong my hair looked great, but over time it killed my hair. My hair absolutley had no weight, no strength or life, it felt feather light and yes there was loss which i didnt wanna blame on wen but whatever. Im finally getting my hair back to normal now using shampoo that costs less than half the price of wen. Its embarring that i spent so much $$ and believed in it for so long while it was ruining my hair. I can tell now the people who are still using it because their hair all look the same. It gives shine and body but make s your hair flimsy and lifeless over time. It cloggs your scalp. Your hair loses its natural shine and moisture. Im not here to rip on it and i never opted in the lawsuit. Im not agaisnt Chaz, im sure hes a great guy and does really believe in his products but you know there were issues... $60 for a hair mask that makes u lose hair? Please! People on here become very rude very quickly when anyone shares their negative experience with it. Its like they get threatened or something and probably would seriously hurt someone because of their belief in wen.  If some people still love it then they should keep on using it but dont harshly critcize women who've actually had a bad experience. Anyway, Im willing to donate my wen to people who so fight for its cause, badly. 

I am kinda upset that i was duped into spending so much money for something that shouldnt cost you that much and if its all that natural it shouldnt be ruining your hair. But I guess thats what marketing is all about. 

Btw, i want all my money back!

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

There is no WEN visit on QVC go by without some new serious WEN bashing thread or bumping up same old, same old WEN bashing thread. Woman LOL No like - no buy, ya know?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sonechko wrote:

There is no WEN visit on QVC go by without some new serious WEN bashing thread or bumping up same old, same old WEN bashing thread. Woman LOL No like - no buy, ya know?

@sonechko

Obviously Chaz is in town!  I’m happy 😆 

The same haters, nothing new ... meh, no biggie.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@mintedroseDOH!  You ALMOST had me, you Really did,  with your well presented personal ovservations .  No really bashing just stating your experiance. All well and good, Until your Last paragraph.

Natural NEVER means only benifitial.  Hemlock is natural. so is nightshade.  Lots of plants are deadly if eaten or used wrong.  Lots of foods Many people eat safely are deadly to those with an allergy to them. I don't see peanuts or shellfish removed from the market. or even secluded to protect suseptible shoppers from their deadly effects.

No one forced you to spend your money.  that you ended with that put a sour note on all your previous points.