Contributor

I drink water, exfoliate, use humidifiers in our home, especially during the winter and we do live in the high desert.  It's arid here!  

I have dry skin and in addition to using Tatcha and some Perricone Products, I love LaMer Moisturizer!  I just ordered the 2 oz. size.  It lasts me quite awhile.  My skin just drinks it in and glows.  So, it's one of a few things I splurge on....

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The economy size saving you over $700 is La Mer Moisturizing Cream 16.5 oz.  Who in their right mind would spend $2,060.00 for moisturizer?  I could not believe what I was seeing.  The normal size moisturizer is almost $500. I just had to share this info. with you.  I won't be purchasing.  Cat Very Happy  BTW,  Happy New Year, Beauties!

There are lots of rich people who would buy this cream and not give the cost a 2nd thought.  I understand LaMer is a very good cream.  So good, in fact, that I'd think the $700 "savings" would be irrelevant to most wealthy folks.

There's a beauty Y-tuber who sometimes does "skin care under $10" videos because ... in her words --- "not everyone can afford LaMer".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

The economy size saving you over $700 is La Mer Moisturizing Cream 16.5 oz.  Who in their right mind would spend $2,060.00 for moisturizer?  I could not believe what I was seeing.  The normal size moisturizer is almost $500. I just had to share this info. with you.  I won't be purchasing.  Cat Very Happy  BTW,  Happy New Year, Beauties!

@Katcat1

Someone with more money than brains?   LOL 

Someone who has millions and doen't need to look at price stickers.  Someone who MAY spend less percentage of their income on beauty products than you and I do?

Super Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
The moisture in your skin comes from water. Period. Whether it be in the environment or what is in your body naturally 'moisturizer' is a misnomer. Products seal in the moisture already in your skin like balms etc., because that same environment can suck out moisture, or help your skin to absorb the moisture naturally in the environment (humidity). When purchasing a product called moisturizer one should ask themselves 'what is in it that helps me retain the moisture already in my skin?' It may feel nice and your skin may even glow but it's not really adding moisture to your skin! Exfoliation also plays a very important role in keeping your skin moisturized as it brings the new skin cells to the surface when it gets rid of the dry dead skin cells. Just a little food for thought when shopping....

Thank you Andreatoo.

I learned this many years ago yet I've not heard anyone who is selling a skin care line mention this. It's all about adding moisture to your skin which you can't do.  Humectants draw moisture from the air. If the air is dry, it will draw the moisture out of your skin. Defeats the purpose.

It's all about keeping moisture in.  Natural moisture levels vary from person to person & for an individual, season to season.   It's a barrier product you need. Plain old Crisco will do the job.

As skin ages, the ability to retain moisture lessens.  Oily skin is not the same as moisturized skin.

But the hype is all about moisturizing, anti aging, etc.  You also can't change the cellular structure in your skin. That conjurs up B sci fi movies lol.

There is no magic elixer.

Regular Contributor

The people who buy are probably people who work very hard for their money and want to spend it how they want without being criticized. 

Respected Contributor

If I could save $700 by buying something I use regularly in bulk, I'd do it.  *shrug*

Honored Contributor

Re: This is hard to Believe

[ Edited ]

It's hard to believe that this cream is sold for the price it is given the cheap ingredients in it.

The second ingredient is mineral oil and the third is petrolatum.  This cream also contains denatured alcohol and fragrance.

I have skin that tends to be drier so I'm not opposed to mineral oil or petrolatum in my skincare and I do not break out from it.  However, you don't get any cheaper than those 2 ingredients so it's ridiculous for them to be at the top of the ingredient deck in such an expensive cream. 

Honored Contributor

I never buy "super" sizes unless the deal is really good.  How long would it take to use up 16.5 oz. moisturizer?  Unless you are one of those that transfers product or uses a spatula, that jar is going to get pretty gicky by the time it is finished.  I got a tiny jar of La Mer in one of my sample programs.  That amount was not enough to produce one iota of improvement.

Respected Contributor

I've tried La Mer cream and was not impressed and can't believe the high price or that I even fell for it. 

Glad I tried it though, now I know. 

Honored Contributor

I think that Elizabeth Grant has a similar "broth" as it's called..........

Here are some La Mer tid bits........

You have to hand it to Creme De La Mer ($155/1oz), it has maintained cult status for a decade (it celebrates its tenth birthday this year). I (sheepishly) admit that I was one of the first people to fall for the hype and bought (what was then one of the expensive face creams on the planet) a pot from Harrods. I also bought La Mer's eye cream. Even La Mer claims that it doesn't know how its miracle cream works. Perhaps that's because it doesn't. At least not for me.

La Mer's birthday prompted me to try to find out more about La Mer's secret sauce (another thing that the company does very well is to keep Creme De La Mer's ingredients off the internet). A few months ago, I found the ingredients for La Mer Fluide and the only thing impressive about it was the number of silicones, 11 at my count. For the past decade, La Mer has been remarkably consistent about messaging the "Miracle Broth", a scientist devised concoction of seaweed and minerals that have been fermented for three months.

The fermentation process had better be good because there is nothing remarkable about the ingredients. After seaweed extract, there is glycerin from mineral oil (not vegetable) and probably the reason why I recall finding La Mer really drying.  Other petroleum-derived ingredients are the emollient isohexadecane and microcrystaline wax. I am not quite sure what to make of alfalfa. I looked at in L'Oreal's Dermo-Expertise Collagen Remodeler and I couldn't find much more about this common fodder for cows than it may be a milder (non-irritating) alternative to retinol exfoliants

The most impressive ingredients are an array of soluble minerals including copper, potassium, calcium, zinc and magnesium. Calcium and zinc are critical to the health of skin. Magnesium stimulates the skin to ensure that healthy elasticity is maintained and moisture levels remain normal and copper is a potent wound healer. In fact, all of these are in the, much superior (in my view) Dermophisiologique range called Mineral, which also packs in other antiagers such as glucosaminoglycans and gingko biloba.  Both La Mer and Dermophisiologique stock up on vitamins, although La Mer has added cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).

Some folks report breakouts when using Creme De La Mer. This may be due to the lanolin alcohol, which is highly comedogenic. Methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone are also irritants.

CREME DE LA MER: A REVIEW AND INGREDIENTS OVERVIEW

Monday, March 03, 2008

creme de la mer review and ingredients
A few weeks ago, I published the suggestions of La Mer for winter dry skin, and I got a huge response! A lot of readers were excited to see what I have to say about the creme, and even more wanted me to compare it to Nivea cream (that myth of the two being the same product is alive and well). Today I'll review Creme de la Mer and discuss the ingredients, in a few days look for a review of the Nivea with specific comparisons to la Mer.

By now, I hope that everyone knows about the miracle of la Mer. It was developed by a NASA scientist, Dr. Max Huber, who had some sort of experiment explode in his face. He was compelled to create a creme that would repair his face when nothing else worked. It was bought out by Estee Lauder in 1996. In fact, it turns out that they had a hard time recreating this cult classic. The Miracle Broth that is the secret of the Creme is very time consuming and difficult to make. The lotion is a fairly basic moisturizing lotion, but with the added ingredients of sea kelp (turned out it could only be harvested twice a year and then had to be processed for months), calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, lecithin, Vitamins C, E and B12, oils of citrus, eucalyptus, wheat germ, alfalfa and sunflower.

While the ingredients of la Mer are pretty much kept a secret, I did manage to find a few lists on line, where people had basically typed the list in from their own jar. I found this list 3 times, with slightly different typos (so I think people were typing it in on their own), but the lists were all identical. So, I am pretty sure that this is indeed what is on the jar. I'll italicize the ingredients that are considered to be the key ingredients behind la Mer. You'll see that they are included in what is otherwise a fairly basic but very moisturizing cream (check out the large number of emollients, humectants and occlusives, that really does explain a lot).

Ingredients (refer to the moisturizer post):
Seaweed (Algae) Extract
• Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum): emollient
• Petrolatum: occlusive
• Glycerin: humectant
• Isohexadecane: thickening agent and emulsifier
Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract
• Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina): commonly used thickening agent
• Lanolin Alcohol: emollient, very closely resembles your skin's natural oils
• Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil: emolllient, can be irritating to those with very sensitive skin
Eucalyptus Globules (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil: thought to have anti-bacterial or anti-viral properties on the skin
Magnesium Sulfate
Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seeds: Sesame oil is anemolllient, can be irritating to those with very sensitive skin. However, I believe that the whole seed are included here as part of the Miracle Broth component of the creme, which means including all of the vitamins and minerals within the seeds.
Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seeds: thought to improve healing, contains a "large number of vitamins and minerals" according to the references I found on-line
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seeds: Sunflower oil is known to possess emollient properties, however the seeds are included as part of the Miracle Broth.
Runus Dulcis (Powdered Almonds) [sodium, Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Magnesium, And Zinc Gluconate]
• Paraffin: occlusive
Vitamin E Succinate
Niacin: Vitamin B3
Beta-carotene
• Decyl Oleate: emollient
• Aluminum Distearate: emulsifier
• Octyldodecanol: emulsifier with emollient properties
• Citric Acid: used to adjust the pH
Cyanocobalamin: Vitamin B12
• Magnesium Stearate: thickening agent
• Panthenol: humectant
Limonene: Oil derived from the peels of citrus fruits such as lemon and lime
• Geraniol: A derivative of geraniums, this fragrance can cause skin allergies
• Linalool: A floral fragrance
• Hydroxycitronellal: Another floral fragrance
• Citronellol: fragrance
• Benzyl Salicylate: fragrance
• Citral: lemon fragrance
• Methylchloroisothiazolinone: preservative
• Methylisothiazolinone: preservative
• Alcohol Denat: Denaturized alcohol
• Fragrance

La Mer is an experience that has a few tricks to be experienced properly. The creme itself is very thick creme with a light floral scent. Properly used, you place an amount (about the size of 1-2 peas) into the center of your palm then very vigorously rub your hands together. The creme will liquify, becoming a clear liquid. Truthfully, I did have a hard time mastering this, I was rubbing it between my fingers (didn't work), I tried hitting it with a blow dryer thinking my hands are too cold (also didn't work). I was not able to fully emulsify and properly use the product until I made a trip to the Creme de la Mer counter at Neiman Marcus in Newport Beach. The ladies there showed me how it is properly done, and they wouldn't let me leave the counter until I had properly demonstrated the technique to them several times and they had loaded me down with more la Mer samples!

Once properly emulsified, Creme de la Mer will really be clear and will have more of a thick liquid consistency. When applied to your skin you can immediately feel it start sinking into your skin. For me, it really takes about 10-15 minutes to sink fully into my skin, making this more of a night time treatment since I don't have time to wait for makeup application. But, the time really is well worth it. It is very hydrating, and it has made me glowy and taken away any winter dryness without turning me into an oil slick! I can see why celebs like J Lo are rumored to stockpile massive quantites of this stuff!

Lately la Mer has been touted also as an anti-aging product, and while I can't say there is a lot of evidence regarding the Miracle Broth, I can tell you that there are antioxidants in the sea kelp as well as the anti-oxidant properties of several of the other ingredients. I also think a large part of looking younger is being properly moisturized/hydrated, as the outer layer of the epidermis will swell with moisture, improving the look of fine lines/wrinkles.

All in all, is la Mer worth it? I definitely liked it as a stronger moisturizer, and despite my combination skin it was not "too much" of a good thing. I looked more glowy and radiant, my winter dryness disappeared completely! I do feel that there are a lot of added ingredients beyond the basic moisturizer that are worth the added expense.

Also: don't miss my comparision of Nivea Cream to Creme de la Mer

creme de la mer review and ingredients
omg..........the same story like Elizabeth Grant........injury to face etc...
CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT