Honored Contributor

Re: This is Disgusting!

[ Edited ]

It is what it is, sex sells... I'd suggest getting over it, and no, I won't be writing the company. These days, in my view, there are far bigger fish to fry than the naming of makeup, however ridiculous and unnecessary the names...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@findjanedoe wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@Venezia 

All I know about the perfume (or not perfume) is it's supposed to last longer.

@monicakm - Thanks.  I just don't know why they have to mention a GUN (their capitals) to sell a "not perfume".  I guess I'm just sensitive about guns in the world we live in today.  Seems odd.

According to its creator the name, Juliette Has a Gun, is an analogy for fragrance as a weapon of seduction.

A really stupid name and an even more stupid rationale... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I have to agree with the original poster - inappropriate. There is so much wrong with this.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

Maybe I missed it, but exactly what age do you think they are targeting, anyway?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

There is so little, if any, class left in this world.   Our young people have enought to contend with while growning up.  So little is left to the imagination.  Sad.  I worry about my little grandchildren and what life will be like when they reach their pre-teen and teen years.

@bargainsgirl 

I'm a psychiatric nurse and we're seeing a frightening increase in younger patients.  They are engaging in activities that are so risky I can't even describe them on this forum.

This scares me @just bee  for my 8 and 10 year old grandkids (boys).  I pray they make good choices as they grow up in today's society.  

Super Contributor
It is disgusting that these cosmetic corporations are using “disgusting” sexual gutter terms to sell makeup to very young people. Is that what you want YOUR 12 or 13 year old child or grandchild carrying around with them? Do you want your junior high student or younger walking around bragging about her sexuality and advertising having sex by showing off her slu—y makeup items?
Do you people really think it is ok for kids that age and younger to be acting like someone who is sexually active? This kind of thing promotes sexual activity among kids that are far too young to deal with it responsibly. Just because our schools are giving out questionable materials to children concerning sexual activity does not mean that any of them are responsible enough to go out and engage in such activities. I suppose that you can just tote the 12 or 13 year old that ends up pregnant to the nearest clinic to get it taken care of. After all, what’s the big deal??
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like it either.  Some of these companies seem to be trying to out do each other with who can be more crude with the names of their products.

I have often said that there are products out there that I don't think would  be that big of a seller if it weren't for the provocative name of the product.  Nars Orgasm blush is one of them.  I still maintain this blush is as popular as it is because of the name.  

Trusted Contributor

Most of the kids in my circle are not absorbed with sex and sexuality. It is discussed pretty frankly at school and in the home, so the topic is not giggle- inducing like it was when I was a kid.

My 13 year old nephew told me he knew how babies were made and that he learned in health class at school. He said his parents had already told him. Then he went on to talk about karate. 

I guess we should wrap up condoms, tampons, yeast meds, anything out on the shelves that could cause a 10 year old to ask questions. These cosmetics are targeted to older teens. Many of whom have already engaged (like many of us did). Honestly, I'm glad these conversations are not taboo anymore. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read every comment. I usually think of myself on the prudish side, but maybe I am not anymore. If you give the Netflix series a chance, it really is excellent. Very well acted, interesting, and yes, lot's of s-x (some, but not a huge ton of nudity). Looking at the NYX line, if you are too young to "get it" you will just think it's cute packaging. Not sure who it is designed to appeal to, nor do I know the demographic of the show. I've never used this phrase, but, "not everything is for everyone".