Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

It's all inappropriate imo but NYX is more accessible to younger girls because it's sold at drugstores/WM.  And yes, Wet and Wild, Maybelline, Milani (drugstore brands) are more accessible and sold to younger girls than higher end makeup.  I don't know if these brands are pushing the boundaries with suggestive names and advertising or not.  I don't buy or look at them anymore and when I did, I don't recall such bold suggestive names like the recent NYX products.  When I wrote to NYX and told them how disgusted I was with their choices, I also mentioned I would not be "spreading" my thoughts on social media platforms that I thought would take it and run.  I would be posting to more conservative social media groups.  I don't and can't go around policing names of products but when I happen across something like this that I have such strong feelings about, I'm going to follow my moral compass.  

Valued Contributor

Re: This is Disgusting!

[ Edited ]

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

I wish I could give you 100 hearts!  You said it all...these are the times and "oh well".  It's exactly what companies/advertisers are hoping you'll do.  Shocked at first, spread the word, sit back and watch their products fly out the door.  That's why I haven't posted anywhere I thought this would increase sales.  HOPING it hasn't here!

Respected Contributor

RE:   "I don't see a big deal in this marketing tactic. Kids are exposed to a lot in the word. It's up to parents to help them navigate through it."

For parents to help their kids navigate through the quagmire, the parents must first "see the big deal" and not brush it off as just another marketing tactic.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@persiflage 

I think another target would  be teen girls shopping for makeup in drugstores/WM

Here's hoping it WILL cause a backlash.  Please feel free (anyone) to let  your feelings be known on the NYX website by clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of the website.

Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@Venezia 

All I know about the perfume (or not perfume) is it's supposed to last longer.

@monicakm - Thanks.  I just don't know why they have to mention a GUN (their capitals) to sell a "not perfume".  I guess I'm just sensitive about guns in the world we live in today.  Seems odd.

According to its creator the name, Juliette Has a Gun, is an analogy for fragrance as a weapon of seduction.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

Yes, that is beyond disgusting.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@monicakm - I guess I'm the prude of the bunch because I agree with you, I don't think those names are appropriate at all to be marketed to pre teen and young teen girls. Seems more appropriate for adult p*rn stars. Then people wonder why the world is so  messed up anymore, when a 12 year old is "always on top". Sheesh. 

@rnmom 

Count me in on that, too!  Messed up?  I call it downright degeneracy.  I would say more, but it would get poofed because its "religious".

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

Re: This is Disgusting!

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with sexualizing children.  If this company were to target adult women, I would find the ads and promotional packaging edgy and have no issue with it.  However, to intentionally gear makeup to young girls who are at the early stages of figuring out their sexuality, self esteem and worth, is extremely manipulative advertising.

Even if this is based on a Netflix show, I still feel the targeted audience for this ad campaign is wrong.  Just because a show appears on Netflix, doesn't mean it was meant for pre-teens. I just finished watching Q-Force on Netflix, hardly a show for 12 year-old.

Occasional Contributor

I don't neccessarly see the big deal here? I mean, it's based after a Netflix TV Show. It's not uncommon for these type of brands to do these collabs. 

It's supposed to be funny, and chances are...middle school and high schoolers are already making jokes like this.