Honored Contributor

Re: This homemade shampoo/conditioner really works believe it or not!!!

"No Poo" has intrigued me for years!

I follow Alison Andrews of Loving It Raw & she uses a recipe using Whole soap nuts (Aritha) & Whole Shikakai. This recipe has an Eastern Indian origin....common ingredients found @ ethnic stores. Baking soda-ACV process is No Poo 101...common ingredients w/ the right pH. Lemon juice-cucumber or Lemon Juice-celery are other mixtures that work well (of course juicing the lemons).

"No Poo" is huge in the raw-food & Natural Hygiene communities I follow. Those diets are clean...low fat, whole foods, plant-based diets....so there's less oil produced to the skin/hair. Washing hair w/ less invasive products...and less frequently...is a byproduct of this clean diet. Going from a Synthetic regime to a Natural Regime will require a little time...your hair needs to reset it's natural pH.

This thread has inspired me to go No Poo for the summer! Let's do it!!

Super Contributor

The vinegar rinse has been around for many, many years. That's what my 88 years old mother used. The diluted vinegar odor disapates as hair dries. Leaves hair very shiny. I started using the Soda wash during the winter and found it soothing to my dry scalp. I found it seemed to regulate the oil production in my scalp. Not too dry or too oily.

Honored Contributor

I love stuff like this! I make a facial serum from a recipe I got on Pinterest and have been using it for the last few weeks--smells good and I like the results. I have sahara desert dry skin and it helps me alot. I will check this out!

Respected Contributor

Great info, BetseyDoodle and thanks! I'm definitely going to try this.