Contributor

I watched an old movie today with Elizabeth Taylor and it got me wondering how these actresses back in the day had such beautiful skin.  They didn't have the kind of innovative products we have today yet they were flawless. .Makes me think that maybe we really don't need all the products we buy.

Honored Contributor

During the day, many actresses were over the hill at 40 or at least were shown the door at that age.  Youthful skin does look nicer.

Then there's all the makeup and film touchups that made their skin look perfect.  

It does boggle my mind how much cosmetics and makeup women use.  

Honored Contributor

@tbird wrote:

I watched an old movie today with Elizabeth Taylor and it got me wondering how these actresses back in the day had such beautiful skin.  They didn't have the kind of innovative products we have today yet they were flawless. .Makes me think that maybe we really don't need all the products we buy.

@tbird    Makes me wonder about the so-called "innovative" products....I already had my suspicions.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

During the day, many actresses were over the hill at 40 or at least were shown the door at that age.  Youthful skin does look nicer.

Then there's all the makeup and film touchups that made their skin look perfect.  

It does boggle my mind how much cosmetics and makeup women use.  

@Foxxee    Cosmetic and beauty products obviously generate huge profits.  Just look at how fervently QVC and HSN push them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: This had me wondering

[ Edited ]

Movies and pictures from years ago were made using old technology where fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging were not visible using that old technology. Everyone back then look flawless.

Today we have high definition and that makes a big difference in what you can see now.

Valued Contributor

I think the makeup, hair people in Hollywood back then could make anyone look stunning.  All the classic stars looked beautiful. 

Was watching a tribute to Gina Lollobridgeda with 6 films. In the one when she was youngest, which was made in Europe,  she looked the least attractive. Once the Hollywood makeup people got a hold of her when she was older she looked perfect, beyond gorgeous.

Respected Contributor

While I agree with @SilleeMee  regarding the camara technology, I also believe that ppl in general were NOT eating junk food. By that I mean, fast food and all the prepackaged food of today. 

Contributor

I hadn't thought of that but I agree that it probably has alot to do with it.

Respected Contributor

Max Factor deserves a lot of the credit for the glamorous Hollywood look. He custom blended the make up for each star. There were rooms where they went according to hair color and skin tone. The appropriate ingredients were there to create that beauty.

Max Factor's great grandsons founded Smashbox cosmetics. Their makeup is camera ready as well. Their Photo Finish Primer is excellent.

Regular Contributor

The Westmore Family was famous in the film and tv industry for makeup and probably ranked higher than Max Factor.  I don't remember all of their names but Perc Westmore stands out in my mind.  I believe there were 6 or 7 brothers and the father who started it all.  You will find a member of the Westmore family on QVC.