Respected Contributor

This Parfum Lover would like some perfume shows!

[ Edited ]

You would think that the Q & HSN would compete with dept. stores or Sephora etc. with fragrances. Offer some Samples with purchase. Venting! 

Honored Contributor

Re: This Perfume Lover would like some perfume shows!

@Kabella    I would guess that there are most likely many returns on fragrances because it is hard to really know if a perfume is to your liking until you smell it and wear it for a while.  

Unless a customer is just buying a perfume that they already use and love..... to buy a new scent is a chancy purchase.  

Personally I would NEVER purchase a new fragrance on a website or shopping channel without having gone to a store and sampled and worn it for a bit to see how it did with my chemistry. 

I would have no problem repurchasing a fragrance that I already used and loved.

Respected Contributor

Re: This Parfum Lover would like some perfume shows!

A Querlain Hour, Lancome hour etc. Offer Samplers...I am not asking for Niche just more designer perfume houses. 

Honored Contributor

I like the idea, being a perfume girl but I would never in million years buy a perfume or cologne without knowing what it smells like.  They would have to send out samples in advance of the shows.

Respected Contributor

Re: This Perfume Lover would like some perfume shows!

@ Sea Maiden, that is why I mentioned them selling Samples & offering better prices than Dept. Stores or Sephora. I never blind buy but yes I agree that I would buy a parfum that I already love if was a far better deal. Then offer me samples. 

Respected Contributor

Q was carrying the Penhaligon brand for a while and I got a wonderful mini collection of some of their nicest scents here. Amazon carries this set from Penhaglion. Highly recommended for perfume fun!

2015 Mini Him Collection by Penhaligon's Gift Set

Respected Contributor

Take for instance, Mon Querlain Parfum....I was getting low so I ordered it from the Q with a good deal. They offered a 3.3 oz with a 1oz. for 111.00 A far better deal than Sephora VIB. Offer free samples with Purchase. 

Honored Contributor

I was always known for a specific scent.  When my husband was alive it was Channel #5, mostly, every now and then it was Clinique Happy, but mostly Channel.

Then after he died I wore Clinique Happy.  When I discovered Amazing Grace.  I remember watching the originator of Amazing Grace come on the Q.  She spoke so beautifully about the fragrance.  

I've worn it ever since.  But (and this is a big but) the fragrance has been so watered down...even I can't smell it (nor do I get noticed by strangers like I used to).

I've actually had men (2 different times) come back and ask me what I was wearing so they could get it for their wives.  I've had women stop me and ask me what I was wearing.  I've been on elevators and had people say, "Someone here smells wonderful!  Who is it?"  Then one by one the women would say, "I am not wearing anything".  I'd finally say, "It's Amazing Grace".

That stopped a few years back.  Like I said, it's so watered down.  You know how you can often smell the fragrance left on your clothes when you put them back on?  Well, there isn't anything there.  I thought maybe I'd gotten used to the smell.  But that's not the case because I've asked others and they can't smell it any longer.

I still buy it; but it feels like I'm throwing away my money.  Even as I spray it, there is no smell.

So many times I've wished I could combine the bottles when there's a little left but the tops won't come off...Ugh!  So many times I've wished there were small bottles of it to maybe carry with me...

I used to give people (like the nurse in my Drs office) Amazing Grace liquid soap, etc.  No one can smell the stuff anymore.

It's as if QVC manages to mess up something good.  I don't know.....I just know other's have noticed the difference...whatever it is.

I'd like to see a variety too.  Before I got married I always wore Shalimar.  I had boyfriends who'd buy it for me.

Crazy story....I had a boyfriend when I was 17.  He was drafted (flunked out of college).  Went to Vietnam.  He told me later that he bought a bottle of Shalimar to take with him so he could smell it and remember what I smelled like.

Scent is important to humans.  It can take us places we'd like to be.  It can bring back memories of people who'd long passed.

I agree with the OP.  I also understand what other's say.  It's hard to describe a scent well enough to sell it over the TV.  

Here's to SMELL-O-VISION.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Ladies tho, Sephora is very generous with free samples. If you go to their stores during the week when it is not busy, they will gladly decant a bottle & give you a sample or a few. Don't be shy to ask. You don't need to purchase. 

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66I enjoyed your story very much. Its true many Parfum houses change their formulation & not for the better most of the time. I have my Mom's favorite Channel's, one being her Coco Channel, every time I smell it, it brings back wonderful memories.