Honored Contributor

Re: This HAS to work....regarding NuFace

[ Edited ]

@MsCatLuver wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Ligaments and tendons are both connective tissues but their function differs.  Ligaments attach bone to bone and tendons attach muscle to bone.  

Muscle contraction (thru exercise) stimulate both tendons and ligaments to become stronger and to grow in thickness.  They take longer than muscles do (to increase in strength) as they are less metabolically active than muscles, but they do indeed get stronger with proper exercise. 

The  "lag" in both tendons and ligaments to adapt to exercise (and the lack of attention given to target exercises for both, accounts for many muscular injuries sustained in training.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/tendon-and-ligament-training-for-greater-gains.html

@QueenDanceALot Based on your above statement (paraphrased)...that connective tissue CAN be trained to become stronger via stimulation of muscle contraction...do YOU believe that a device like NF can firm the face by stimulating BOTH muscle and connective tissue?

@SilleeMee. Any thoughts?

@MsCatLuver,

Facial muscles are very different from any of the other muscles on the rest of the body. Comparing facial muscles to body muscles is like comparing apples to oranges. Facial muscles do not have ligaments or tendons, except for the ones which move the jaw bone. By 'connective tissue', do you mean collagen? If so the answer would be no. To my knowledge I have never come across any information confirming collagen stimulation via microcurrent stimulation.

ETA - I need to clarify the part about collagen stimulation using microcurrent technology. The technology has been used in wound healing as a medical application involving medical equipment and dressings.

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Ligaments and tendons are both connective tissues but their function differs.  Ligaments attach bone to bone and tendons attach muscle to bone.  

Muscle contraction (thru exercise) stimulate both tendons and ligaments to become stronger and to grow in thickness.  They take longer than muscles do (to increase in strength) as they are less metabolically active than muscles, but they do indeed get stronger with proper exercise. 

The  "lag" in both tendons and ligaments to adapt to exercise (and the lack of attention given to target exercises for both, accounts for many muscular injuries sustained in training.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/tendon-and-ligament-training-for-greater-gains.html

@QueenDanceALot Based on your above statement (paraphrased)...that connective tissue CAN be trained to become stronger via stimulation of muscle contraction...do YOU believe that a device like NF can firm the face by stimulating BOTH muscle and connective tissue?

@MsCatLuver

I don't know that microcurrent works in the same way for muscles and the the connective tissues as exercise does.  I know that there are many claims about different types of microcurrent applications, but I don't know of any instance where anyone gained appreciable strength and/or muscle size by using microcurrent technologies to rival those gains made by exercise.

So, I don't have any "belief" about it.  I just look at the available science.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@MsCatLuver

I don't know that microcurrent works in the same way for muscles and the the connective tissues as exercise does.  I know that there are many claims about different types of microcurrent applications, but I don't know of any instance where anyone gained appreciable strength and/or muscle size by using microcurrent technologies to rival those gains made by exercise.

@QueenDanceALot. Well said...I should not have asked you to speculate.  I just wonder IF it is indeed possible/probable to affect muscle & connective tissue with micro current.

There have been similar discussion about TENS devices for abdominal muscles in TSV and Wellness forums.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MsCatLuver wrote:

@MsCatLuver,

Facial muscles are very different from any of the other muscles on the rest of the body. Comparing facial muscles to body muscles is like comparing apples to oranges. Facial muscles do not have ligaments or tendons, except for the ones which move the jaw bone. By 'connective tissue', do you mean collagen? If so the answer would be no. To my knowledge I have never come across any information confirming collagen stimulation via microcurrent stimulation.

ETA - I need to clarify the part about collagen stimulation using microcurrent technology. The technology has been used in wound healing as a medical application involving medical equipment and dressings.

@SilleeMee Very interesting!  In the end, I wonder HOW (legally) the NuFace company can make their efficacy claims IF there is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence.  The NF makes it sound like there is evidence ...’Using NF device as directed will lift and firm your/one’s face’ (paraphrased but that is the promise made aka sales pitch) and it is FDA cleared for this purpose

ETA: similar claims made by Suzanne Somers & Jennifer Flvin for their microcurrent devices

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver,

FDA has cleared the use of home microcurrent muscle stimulation technology, not the actual NF device itself. NF backs their claims with clinical trials and that is highly susceptible to the manipulation of data collected to be in favor of their pitch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
It all comes down to........YOU MUST USE IT EVERYDAY! The results are cumulative NOT PERMANENT! Meaning once you quit using it your back to square one. The question you have to ask yourself before purchasing is: “Am I committed to using this everyday.” 😱

Yes - consistent usage is key! But, I don't use it daily.  Initially, yes it's more effective to use it daily for about 3 weeks. Afterwards, a routine maintenance of 2-3 days weekly for approx 20 min each session( neck and face) works for me. Just do it while watching tv or reading. No big investment of time is required.

I think it's one of the most effective and beneficial beauty tools.  I have the NuFace, older version. No prong head which I think would add more results. Will upgrade when mine bites the dust. 

Lots of poor info/misconceptions are posted here. Do your own research and learn which posters are reliable.  I lol Woman LOL at the posters that say 'x' product - tool or topical doesn't work and they admit to not using it at all or infrequently.  Those are NOT reliable posters. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

A couple or three years ago, a poster mentioned that the NuFace product was initially created and used for people who had strokes. Don't recall if it was called NuFace then. But she said that the medical field used it on people who had no movement in their face, and that this device (or an earlier version of it) stimulated the muscles to work so stroke victims could more quickly recover in areas affected. I assume that is how it got its FDA clearance.

Perhaps someone else remembers who that poster was. I do remember, though, that she provided a link to some scientific evidence (effects of stimulating the muscle) that the product's claim was based upon. I think she also mentioned some other similar product that did a similar thing as NuFace.

I definitely see a difference when I watch the models. And I recall the vendor saying that the models have to promise not to use NuFace on the other side of their face, to ensure there is a comparison to see when they are asked to demonstrate it. I believe the same goes for the models of Perricone's Daily Facial Cream, which can tighten up one side of the face when demonstrated.

I think if you use NuFace, that you just incorporate it into your routine. Like brushing your teeth every day, taking a shower, etc., you have to keep doing it or the effects go back to where you were when you started. So you should be ready to commit to it.

I think if one is on the fence, they should try it. It can always be returned. Also, depending upon where you live, you might be able to go to a salon/spa that uses the product and see for yourself before committing to purchasing it.

@World Traveler - I agree! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@MsCatLuver

@QueenDanceALot. Well said...I should not have asked you to speculate.  I just wonder IF it is indeed possible/probable to affect muscle & connective tissue with micro current.

There have been similar discussion about TENS devices for abdominal muscles in TSV and Wellness forums.

@MsCatLuver

While there are fans of those devices, I would challenge anyone to put up the abdominal strength they obtain from using them to the abdominal strength gained from actual exercise.  And here I absolutely WOULD speculate that the devices will NOT provide the same stimulation to the connective tissues that actual WORK does.

I know absolutely no one who has developed a strong abdominal wall by using a microcurrent technology.

And I've been in the fitness "community" for almost 40 years.

Honored Contributor

I also discount and suggest caution about claims/info from so called forum 'experts' - beauty, fashion, handbags, jewelry, wellness etc. Some just seem to be bored, delusional, ego stroking and at times 'playing' gullible posters. 

Super Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
It all comes down to........YOU MUST USE IT EVERYDAY! The results are cumulative NOT PERMANENT! Meaning once you quit using it your back to square one. The question you have to ask yourself before purchasing is: “Am I committed to using this everyday.” 😱

Yes - consistent usage is key! But, I don't use it daily.  Initially, yes it's more effective to use it daily for about 3 weeks. Afterwards, a routine maintenance of 2-3 days weekly for approx 20 min each session( neck and face) works for me. Just do it while watching tv or reading. No big investment of time is required.

I think it's one of the most effective and beneficial beauty tools.  I have the NuFace, older version. No prong head which I think would add more results. Will upgrade when mine bites the dust. 

@Chi-town girl  Thanks for your replies.  I actually AGREE that the NF device has been effective for ME...some areas more than others.  Overall, the NF device was a good purchase for ME.  My original post may seem that  I was not in favor of NF...or, that I was challenging the “truthfulness” of the product pitch...Actually, that was not the point. I merely could not understand if used properly and consistently WHY everyone did not have positive results.

BTW, like your handle. I lived in Chi-town for a few years. Thanks again for your input