Honored Contributor

@emawma wrote:

Mine is from menapose. I have had all the blood tests. All of them were fine. I am a very healthy 63 year old. I do not take any kind of medicines for anything. I have a wellness check up every year. I do thank you for your concern. 

@emawma  Yes....that darn menopause!  Also your genetics plays a role.  My sweet Momma had thinning hair as she grew older in her temple area. Thankfully I caught it in time taking some of the DHA blockers formulas and supplements and was able to grow it back. 

The best best thing you said is that you are HEALTHY🤗👍👏🏻 THAT IS WHAT IS TRULY IMPORTANT.

I  am your age and  taking care of myself  and good health is what I focus on now.

Honored Contributor

Have you gonre to the doctor & gotten a thyroid check? That is frequently the cause of thinning hair, and easily taken care of.

Occasional Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Other than Shin Min, please share what other supplemenrs you take?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@emawma   many factors can play a role in hair loss.  Have  you  gone to your doctor and had blood work up done to rule out metabolic issues...

thyroid and such? Medications you may be on could also contribute.....if you are on blood pressure med or any meds... you need to read the information on them... they could be contributing.

Your hormones as we age... too much of some... too little of others...   can contribute.  DHT is a hormone that causes hair loss in both men and women.... have a test done to measure your estrogen and testosterone levels.... Read up on DHT and what supplements might be beneficial that you can buy over the counter to  block that hormone. Shin Min make a product called DHT Factors that I like to take.

A shampoo is really  just a topical placebo....  you want to really know what is going on  metabolically first.

Yes, I've been to several doctors and have had every test imaginable. Its hormone fluctuations.......and I do believe natural products are the way to go. Metabolically I'm fine, thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@emawmaThanks for this info.

I used WEN since 2009 and not faced the hair loss problem some had, but just this spring my endocrinologist prescribed a new med and I can't see any effect from it except massive amounts of hair loss.

It happened so quickly that my stylist commented on the big difference just between my last 2 appointments which were only 3 weeks apart.  I'm checking ETSY!

@millieshops wrote:

I used WEN since 2009 and not faced the hair loss problem some had, but just this spring my endocrinologist prescribed a new med and I can't see any effect from it except massive amounts of hair loss.

It happened so quickly that my stylist commented on the big difference just between my last 2 appointments which were only 3 weeks apart.  I'm checking ETSY!

I'm so sorry for your hair loss. I've found traditional MD's to be prescription pushers, even when numbers are marginal. Endocronologists and their Synthroid - which causes massive amounts of thinning....and only works for some. Good for you for checking alternatives! I did and would never look back! 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Have you gonre to the doctor & gotten a thyroid check? That is frequently the cause of thinning hair, and easily taken care of.

The medication for thyroid causes more hair loss than the actual thyroid issue itself......that is, "if" there is a thyroid problem. That one is over rated.

Respected Contributor

Does it work on color treated hair.  I bought one that took the color out.  

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

I'm so sorry for your hair loss. I've found traditional MD's to be prescription pushers, even when numbers are marginal. Endocronologists and their Synthroid - which causes massive amounts of thinning....and only works for some. Good for you for checking alternatives! I did and would never look back! 

@Effie54. I’ve taken Synthroid for 20 yrs. and have not experienced thinning hair. It may be an individual drug side effect. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@emawma   many factors can play a role in hair loss.  Have  you  gone to your doctor and had blood work up done to rule out metabolic issues...

thyroid and such? Medications you may be on could also contribute.....if you are on blood pressure med or any meds... you need to read the information on them... they could be contributing.

Your hormones as we age... too much of some... too little of others...   can contribute.  DHT is a hormone that causes hair loss in both men and women.... have a test done to measure your estrogen and testosterone levels.... Read up on DHT and what supplements might be beneficial that you can buy over the counter to  block that hormone. Shin Min make a product called DHT Factors that I like to take.

A shampoo is really  just a topical placebo....  you want to really know what is going on  metabolically first.

@SeaMaiden  The physical things we do to our hair causes loss, as well: shampooing too often, blow drying w/o a heat protectant, flat irons/curling irons, hair color, highlights, lowlights and bleaching. The less trauma you can put your hair through, the less loss you may see. Also change from a terry cloth towel to a microfiber towel and satin pillow case. Hair will slide on satin and snag more across cotton. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I think that's true. You're very lucky. I wasn't and it killed my hair.