Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinning hair, tired all the time, I want my life back!!

On 12/14/2014 HappyDaze said:

why are you asking people you don't know on a shopping channel forum? You should be asking your doctors all these questions and for the love of all that is good, go see the psychologist immediately. That should be your first step.

If this is all even true, you have much more complex psychological and medical issues to deal with and you shouldn't be relying on the advice the armchair "doctors" on the shopping channel forum can provide you with.

Well stated!!!!!!!

OP, Google and Google PhDs are not your friend!!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

On 12/14/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 12/14/2014 LyndaB said:

Goodstuff, in post #9, the OP states her doctor diagnosed her with a thyroid disorder (Hashimoto's) based on her high anti-TPO levels, but she was not treated with thyroid meds. Since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder, she needs thyroid replacement medication to allow her thyroid to function normally again, not Zoloft to treat one of the symptoms of low thyroid. Those high anti-TPO levels will not go away, and she'll continue to struggle with the multitude of symptoms until she receives proper thyroid treatment. Sadly, there are too many doctors who focus on the TSH.

ETA: HappyDaze, a Hashimoto's patient who is not receiving thyroid meds is not functioning at a level that would recognize discussing her issues on an internet forum isn't ideal. As a Hashi's patient, I know how it feels to be so desperate for help when the doctors you've visited have failed you. I hope the OP will listen to those of us who are encouraging her to find a doctor who will treat her thyroid issue appropriately.

Post #9 is pretty confusing. At one point, OP's doctor apparently recommended thyroid supplementation, but OP wanted to wait; then her TSH levels returned to normal and the doctor didn't want to supplement; then OP says in July she went back up on thyroid medication:

"My doctor said no medication was needed at this point since my thyroid is in range, despite having the antibodies. In July, I went back up to the 50mg dose and I learned I NEED it to function."

So I gather she is taking thyroid medication at this point....... I get the feeling this patient is all over the place trying to figure things out for herself and perhaps not listening to the doctors.

OP is talking about her Zoloft dose, which she suggests is affecting her thyroid.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Penellope said:
On 12/14/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 12/14/2014 LyndaB said:

Goodstuff, in post #9, the OP states her doctor diagnosed her with a thyroid disorder (Hashimoto's) based on her high anti-TPO levels, but she was not treated with thyroid meds. Since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder, she needs thyroid replacement medication to allow her thyroid to function normally again, not Zoloft to treat one of the symptoms of low thyroid. Those high anti-TPO levels will not go away, and she'll continue to struggle with the multitude of symptoms until she receives proper thyroid treatment. Sadly, there are too many doctors who focus on the TSH.

ETA: HappyDaze, a Hashimoto's patient who is not receiving thyroid meds is not functioning at a level that would recognize discussing her issues on an internet forum isn't ideal. As a Hashi's patient, I know how it feels to be so desperate for help when the doctors you've visited have failed you. I hope the OP will listen to those of us who are encouraging her to find a doctor who will treat her thyroid issue appropriately.

Post #9 is pretty confusing. At one point, OP's doctor apparently recommended thyroid supplementation, but OP wanted to wait; then her TSH levels returned to normal and the doctor didn't want to supplement; then OP says in July she went back up on thyroid medication:

"My doctor said no medication was needed at this point since my thyroid is in range, despite having the antibodies. In July, I went back up to the 50mg dose and I learned I NEED it to function."

So I gather she is taking thyroid medication at this point....... I get the feeling this patient is all over the place trying to figure things out for herself and perhaps not listening to the doctors.

OP is talking about her Zoloft dose, which she suggests is affecting her thyroid.

You may be right. I find her account disjointed and difficult to follow. I feel bad for her and hope she finds the help she needs.

Super Contributor

I have to take iron but had a difficult time because the iron made me feel awful. Bad headaches, stomach ache, nauseated.

I finally found an iron I can take. It's called purAbsorb iron. You can take it by itself (but I read it can taste bad) but you can mix it into a drink. I put it in a drink and can't taste a thing. I haven't had any side effects from it and have been using it over 6 months.

It's was made for people that have trouble taking iron. My pharmacy happened to have a box but you might want to check on Amazon or type in pureAbsorb and read the info about the product.

As for discoloring my teeth I haven't noticed that at all-maybe because it can be mixed in a drink.

I also have Hashimoto's. Took awhile to get diagnosed. Your symptoms sound like your thyroid is still low. That little gland can reek havoc on your body when it's not working correctly. The thyroid affects the body in many ways.

Respected Contributor

I would suggest seeing a medical doctor. I would not experiment with anything posted on this thread. You have a number of symptoms that only a doctor can diagnose.

Contributor

Thank you to those of you actually trying to help. For those of you who are being rude, I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if someone made fun of your issues. We all have them. Would you like me to go to threads you’ve posted and be nasty? I didn’t think so. I know the issues I have. I don’t need to hear, “She’s scared of throwing up, scared of nausea, scared of a metallic taste in her mouth.” I DON’T NEED MY ISSUES REPEATED TO ME. THANK YOU. And please don’t talk ABOUT me, be a mature adult and talk TO me.

I found this site through google when I was researching low ferritin and LOTS of other people started threads on this site about the same thing under “Beauty Banter” and nobody was rude to them. Nobody told them they shouldn’t post this on a “shopping” website. I have an appointment with my doctor at the end of the week, it’s the earliest she can see me. Until then, I can post on forums all I want. It’s a free country.

I am going to ask my doctor for a referral to an endocrinologist cause the antibodies are definitely a problem but I truly believe the low ferritin is causing most of these symptoms. My ferritin is a 7. It has to be above 50 to stop hair loss and ensure thick hair. But the ideal is about 75. I’m WAY too low! That’s why I sleep all the time, why I have shortness of breath, and most likely why my hair is thinning. I have to lay down and rest after simple tasks. That’s not the thyroid, that’s the iron. It’s possible that the thyroid could be playing a role in the hair and the exhaustion as well but the majority of it is being caused by the ferritin being so low. I really think the iron needs to be addressed first. Well, I guess it has to be anyway since it takes about 2-3 months to see an endocrinologist.

To the people who were confused, I am not on thyroid medication and I was not given Zoloft to treat my thyroid condition. I was given Zoloft BEFORE this thyroid condition even started, years ago to help with my anxiety. It has helped with my anxiety tremendously and I can’t function without it. What I’m saying is the Zoloft INCREASES my TSH LEVEL. The TSH was much lower the entire time I was on the 25mg (smaller dose). Now I’m back on the 50mg and my TSH has skyrocketed. You can even find it on google. It’s published in a journal that Zoloft increases the TSH. It’s not affecting the antibodies but it is increasing the TSH. But there is absolutely no way I can function on the 25mg dose.

I saw a nutritionist about my diet and she saw no problem with it at the moment. Until my anxiety gets better, she didn’t even want me to change my diet. Just to add in more iron. She said I’m getting over 100% iron. Why do you think they recommend Total cereal to people who are iron deficient? It doesn’t matter if it’s fortified iron or natural iron. Iron is iron. A supplement is fortified. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re getting it. Also, I do eat fruits and vegetables. I have a PB&J for lunch with an apple and a tangerine. And I have vegetables with the pasta. I just only mentioned the foods rich in iron. And I don’t always have pasta, just most days. Occasionally I have something different like pizza or meatloaf or sometimes pasta with meatballs. The past 2 nights for dinner I had homemade soup with potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, lima beans, pasta noodles, and tomato sauce. My diet is not as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Also, I’m a college student (yeah I’m taking a semester off but still). College students eat junk. At least I don’t eat pizza or ramen noodles every night like most of them.

The nutritionist gave me a paper talking about rich iron foods and an iron sample diet. The diet consisted of 31mg of iron (18mg of iron is what we need which is 100%). I calculate percentages better so that’s about 175% of iron a day. The reason my iron is not going up with food is cause I’m either getting 94% iron or 107% daily. I need to be getting 175% and then I would see an increase. I just need to get 75% more iron than what I’m getting and it would go up.

A couple questions for you guys:

1) Do any of you use an iron skillet? I’ve heard it leeches iron into the food and you can use it with acidic foods like pasta sauce which I eat often. Is it safe? Because it leeches iron into the food, do you feel sick afterwards like you would with a supplement? Or do you taste a metallic taste at all? Does it throw off the taste of the food?

2) Have any of you tried Peter Pan peanut butter creamy PLUS? The one with 25% iron and other vitamins and minerals? I use the regular creamy currently but I think this might be a great way to add extra iron into my diet. I’m just worried if it’ll upset my stomach. For those of you who have tried it, how does it compare to the regular peanut butter?

Super Contributor

Why aren't you pounding down the doors of other doctors or even alternative medical practitioners? Your anxiety is ridiculous. You have too much of it and forgive me for being blunt but it sounds like you make a lot of excuses. If I couldn't swallow pills but it would make me feel better, I'd find a way to swallow a pill and not throw it back up. You've got Therapists to try, Acupuncturists, Ayurvedic practitioners and likely a lot more than just those two. Be proactive. Someone needs to light a fire under you to go do something else. Your quality of life is sounding rotten and you need to get on it. If it will make you feel better do what ever you have to in order to feel better. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go do something about it. I know what I am talking about. I have a few issues and pounded down doctors doors to find out exactly what it was and I am taking the steps to fix the issue. Whether I like it or not I'm doing it in order to feel better and live longer. When you see a doctor tell them what you want to know and what you won't do. For instance taking anti depressants or too many invasive tests. Point being do something!

Trusted Contributor

Flat out, woman you need a medical doctor, you won't improve until you see a qualified medical doctor in good standing. I fear some of the people you're seeing are doing nothing but taking your money. I just doesn't make good sense to get medical advice from any forum. You're just looking for trouble if you do. Put your big girl panties on, and be responsible.

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}On 12/15/2014 Lila4now said:

Flat out, woman you need a medical doctor, you won't improve until you see a qualified medical doctor in good standing. I fear some of the people you're seeing are doing nothing but taking your money. I just doesn't make good sense to get medical advice from any forum. You're just looking for trouble if you do. Put your big girl panties on, and be responsible.

I like you so much. I think we're related.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/14/2014 gabstoomuch said:

Sounds like thyroid symptoms to me. All that iron will just make thyroid symptoms worse.

If you have a Facebook page, start reading HYPOTYHROID MOM page.

Or go to About.c om and start reading about thyroid. Mary Shomon is a thyroid advocate and has a bazillion articles on About.

Once you start reading up on thyroid problems, I bet a light bulb will go off for you.

Hyper or Hypo thyroid symptoms can overlap, sometimes you can have symptoms of being both.

Look up Hashimoto's Disease too.

I'm not reading through all these posts, but my first thought was you need to get your thyroid checked, if you have not already done so. An iron deficiency may only be part of the story.

Also, I would question your anxiety medication. You say you've been on the same dose for years and it works, but you also describe debilitating anxiety. Have you shared that information with your doctor? It may not be a question of increasing your dose but of trying something different. New medications are coming out on the market all the time--there may be something that works better for you that wasn't available when you first started being treated.

Additionally, just doing some light exercises, like yoga/stretching (you can do at home) or taking a walk, can do wonders. You don't have to start out big. Take it slowly at first, but commit to 10 or 15 minutes a day to start out and keep with it for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. I don't think it will solve all your problems, but it may help a little.

Please don't give up your search for answers. No one deserves to live like that. It may take you several doctors to find out exactly what works for you. All the best to you, Blondie. You can get better!!! Please believe that! May you find some peace and comfort. Kiss