Contributor

I have come to you all before for suggestions and I am coming again and asking for some aboutn thinning hair.  I am 51 years young and I have not had a period in year.  So I suppose I am finished and have moved on to menopause.  My concern is that my hair is begining to thin on the front of my scalp.  I have always had thick naturally curly hair.  But lately I see more of my scalp on the front.  I get a hair cut and color every 8 weeks.  Have any of you taken Biotin and it helped with this issue?  Anyone used a hair growth product with success?  I haven't consulted a doctor yet but could it possible be a side effect of a slow thyroid?  I welcome all of your suggestions and answers

Thanks

Tegrace

Psalms 121

Respected Contributor
I would certainly have your thyroid checked. I go through phases every few years where my hair thins in front, then fills in, then thins, etc. I used Nioxin for a while but I switched to Aveda Invati. I use the shampoo for every wash and then I rotate between the Invati conditioner and another Aveda conditioner that provides more moisture. But before deciding on a treatment, you definitely need to eliminate any possible underlying medical issues. Good luck!
Respected Contributor

I'd definitely ask your doctor.  You might get minoxidil, which works to help regrow hair that hasn't been gone for long.  That's available at the drug store, so you don't need a prescription, but check with your doctor anyway and even the pharmacist to make sure there are no interactions with other things you might be taking.  If you get this, get the UNSCENTED 2.5%.  The 5% is for men and can cause hair to grow on your face.  I know about this because I've had alopecia areata, which except for once was only an easily disguised bald spot that grew back after a few months.

Best of luck.  Don't hesitate to call your primary care because you might get advice that could really help. 

There's also hair extensions or clip-in hair.  I had one bad attack of alopecia, and I figured if it didn't grow back I'd just wear a wig.  Do whatever you can to make yourself happier with this situation.  It will make a big difference.

Contributor

Thanks Ms X......I am very blessed that I am not currently on any medications but I will check with doctor and thanks again for the information.

Frequent Contributor

I would give Biotin a try, it's been working for me and the friend who recommended it to me. Her doctor recommended that she start taking Biotin after radiation therapy, she had good results with it, and then suggested it to me. My hair loss issues stemmed from several causes: menopause, a head injury, and medication I have to take for another ailment. Since I've been using the Biotin, the really sparse patches I had are smaller and have fuller hair growth. My fingernails are stronger, too, with the Biotin.

Another product I love and use daily is the Joan Rivers Great Hair Day fill-in powder sold right here on the QVC website. Anywhere you have scalp showing through, just apply the Great Hair Day powder with the brush that comes with it. And voila! The thin areas just disappear.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinning hair question

[ Edited ]

@tegrace, maybe you'd be interested to check a conversation on this thread:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/WEN/Tea-Tree-anyone-use-FOR-hair-growth/td-p/2656565

Sincerely hope, you'll find a solution to your issue. Also, I understand a good gyno doctor may advise, if it's worth go on hormonal therapy which would restore your period, and with it a more normal hormonal balance. I know, they have this option, and one year I think, is still within a time frame they still able to do it.

Respected Contributor

Try Nioxin, it comes in several formulas.

i had some medical issues a few years back and my hair was getting thinner and thinner - I cut like six inches off and started using that - it worked. I still use it to this day, and, I wash my hair like every other day. They also have conditioners in the same formulas and also a scalp treatment. I used the scalp treatment and it seemed to aid in the hair growth at a faster pace. I believe there was a thickening foam also that you applied to the root area to give the hair a little more pouf I guess - and blow dry your hair at the roots first with your head upside down if you can, that adds volume also at the roots. Good luck. My hair girl told me about it and that she had other clients with thinning hair that also used it with good results. Just be patient, it does not start filling in overnight!! Happy shampooing!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Sally's carries Nutri-Ox, a line of hair care products compatible to Nioxin but more affordable. I've used them when my hair was falling out & thinning and they helped. 

Honored Contributor

@glamwitch wrote:

I would give Biotin a try, it's been working for me and the friend who recommended it to me. Her doctor recommended that she start taking Biotin after radiation therapy, she had good results with it, and then suggested it to me. My hair loss issues stemmed from several causes: menopause, a head injury, and medication I have to take for another ailment. Since I've been using the Biotin, the really sparse patches I had are smaller and have fuller hair growth. My fingernails are stronger, too, with the Biotin.

Another product I love and use daily is the Joan Rivers Great Hair Day fill-in powder sold right here on the QVC website. Anywhere you have scalp showing through, just apply the Great Hair Day powder with the brush that comes with it. And voila! The thin areas just disappear.

This is just what I do-biotin and Joan River's Great Hair day-like Joan used to say-she doesn't leave the house without it.

And the biotin-when I first used it I didn't read the directions and wasn't taking enough. Then my sister said she takes 10,000 mg /day and said it helped so I got that dosage (its just one a day) and it has helped!

Just like you said, the thin parts are not as noticeable!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I started taking Biotin about 2 years ago and it really made a difference....even my hairdresser noticed. I am 60 and my hair was getting thin after menopause.