Respected Contributor

Re: Thinning Hair --- what works?

Those pictures are awesome, @Ainhisg! Thanks for sharing those - that's very powerful evidence from someone who isn't trying to sell anything. I'm so glad it's been working for you!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your compliment! Woman Happy @Alison Wonderland 

Something about those hair laser lights that most people don't realize...each laser light used in any device produces the same amount of energy onto the scalp. The only difference between devices, and subsequently their price, is the number of lights used in the devices. The lasers are all the same strength and put 272 of them in one device, you're chances of regrowing hair is also greatly increased.

Respected Contributor

So glad to hear of success stories.
Nothing worked for 

me. I sent the laser back after 5+ months of use.

I really was not a good candidate--- too far gone.

Tried  Rogaine, biotin, etc, etc. At one point I rubbed

onion on my head and covered with a plastic bag. 

I have accepted my baldness and love my wigs.

My hair started falling out at age 12  due to thyroid, it would

come and go--- thick during and after pregnancies.

In addition I have anemia etc.

I finally have peace about it after so many years, I'm 68.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thanks for your compliment! Woman Happy @Alison Wonderland 

Something about those hair laser lights that most people don't realize...each laser light used in any device produces the same amount of energy onto the scalp. The only difference between devices, and subsequently their price, is the number of lights used in the devices. The lasers are all the same strength and put 272 of them in one device, you're chances of regrowing hair is also greatly increased.

Gotcha. I'm sure it's much easier to put on a cap and cover a larger surface than to be moving a comb every few seconds. I know I'd miss places, get frustrated with a stiff arm, and just be bad about it. I don't even have the patience to blow dry my hair for more than 3 minutes, but sitting under a bonnet dryer wouldn't be so bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know there have been posts on this in the past.  I am now having an issue with thinning and hair loss.  This has gradually happened to me.  After having a huge mop of hair my whole life, I find that my hair is getting very thin and fragile!  I notice especially a spot on the top of my head near where my bangs start where you are starting to be able to see my scalp!  Very upsetting!  DH says its not that noticeable because my hair is light, but I think it is.  And - I am afraid it will keep getting worse!  I seem to be losing a lot of hair -- combing, brushing, washing, etc. 

I don't want to use any chemical things -- rogaine, etc., are there any products --- shampoos, conditioners,etc. which seem to help?

I noticed a brand called Viviscal and read about it and wondered if anyone had used this?

I take Biotin regularly and have for a long time, and take many other vitamins and minerals.  I am on several medications and have gone through menopause many years ago.  So, I'm sure these things have all played a part in this.  

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions for products, etc.  Thanks! 

Noxin for thinning hair.  I use No. 4 for notably thinking col o treated hair.  Shampoo and conditioner.  Have to awhile.  It belps.

Respected Contributor

AngelPuppy1, I have always had baby fine hair, but when it started thinning during menopause, I got serious about it.  First let me define my terms.  Fine hair, to me, means the shaft of each hair is thin.  Thinning hair means that hair follicles no longer produce as many or any hair shafts as they used to.  While I cannot change the number of hair follicles on my scalp (that number was genetically pre-determined) I can encourage what follicles I have to keep producing hair shafts.  So far, what is working for me is using WEN Tea Tree treatment oil at least once a week as a scalp treatment.  I started out at a disadvantage because I have a high forehead and fine, blonde hair, and I could always see my scalp at the part, but I wanted to minimize hormonally influenced hair loss if I could.  My grandmother went nearly bald and wore wigs from her 50's on, and her daughter, my Mom, also thinned significantly, though she didn't wear wigs.  I tried oral supplements containing biotin, but that didn't do anything.  When I got serious about weekly Tea Tree oil use, that's what stopped and reversed the thinning.  For a while I used it twice a week, but I found myself needing a haircut every six weeks because the hair was growing faster, but I wasn't seeing more hairs, so I cut back to once a week.  If I find increasing thinning as I age, I'll bump the frequency back up and hope it helps.  I may need to resort to laser treatmen eventually, but I hope oil treatments will stave that day off for some time.

Honored Contributor

You can start out by trying 10,000 mcg Biotin daily. I have tried Viviscal, Keratin, Bamboo, Cynatine, Silicon, Lessman, Gelatin caps and the list goes on, nothing has helped. I also will not try Minoxidil. I do use Toppik or XFusion fibers, in the sparse areas and it helps quite a bit, buy them for a lot less on ebay. 

Respected Contributor

Image result for hair skin nails vitamins

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Have you seen a Dermatologist?  That would be a good idea.  I had medication cause hair loss but it stopped after one month and I am still on the medicine.  There are shampoos with Biotin that could be helpful.  For a quick fix try Aquage Thickening Spray gel.  Wash hair, towel dry and spray this on 5 or 6 sprays depending on long your hair is.  For long hair another 3 or 4 sprays on the long part.  I have been usinig for quite a while now ovre 5 years and it will add thickness to your hair and does not cause build up.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I took Swanson Bamboo caps for 6 months, did nothing. 

i would try a marine collagen, but not one with tilapia, like Lessmans. I do take Verisol collagen now for last 8 months.