Respected Contributor

Re: Thinning Hair --- what works?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

Hi @SilleeMee -  Have you ever tried PRP (platelet-rich plasma) injections?  I've been reading about it for the last couple of years.  I know it's expensive (several injections over a year = around $6000).  Sounds interesting, and seems to receive positive "reviews."  I know you are super knowledgeable on hair and skin issues, so thought I'd ask for your thoughts. Thanks, in advance! 

@I like celery 

No I haven't had that done. The one I heard about involves microneedling on the scalp and then the prp is applied after that. It's sort of the same as a 'vampire facial' but on the scalp. Derma stamps are usually used for that kind of treatment and it's suppose to stimulate hair follicles to produce hair. The prp is applied to help speed up healing time and help prevent infection.

Yes, that's the pretty much what I've read. A person's blood is taken, and placed into a centrifuge to separate the PRP, and then injected into the scalp via a roller.  I guess the proteins in the plasma help to stimulate hair follicles to grow longer and thicker, and to even sprout new follicles?  Did you ever consider it, and if not, can you share why?  I know it's pricey, but are there reasons you haven't tried it?  Thanks, again.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

Hi @SilleeMee -  Have you ever tried PRP (platelet-rich plasma) injections?  I've been reading about it for the last couple of years.  I know it's expensive (several injections over a year = around $6000).  Sounds interesting, and seems to receive positive "reviews."  I know you are super knowledgeable on hair and skin issues, so thought I'd ask for your thoughts. Thanks, in advance! 

@I like celery 

No I haven't had that done. The one I heard about involves microneedling on the scalp and then the prp is applied after that. It's sort of the same as a 'vampire facial' but on the scalp. Derma stamps are usually used for that kind of treatment and it's suppose to stimulate hair follicles to produce hair. The prp is applied to help speed up healing time and help prevent infection.

Yes, that's the pretty much what I've read. A person's blood is taken, and placed into a centrifuge to separate the PRP, and then injected into the scalp via a roller.  I guess the proteins in the plasma help to stimulate hair follicles to grow longer and thicker, and to even sprout new follicles?  Did you ever consider it, and if not, can you share why?  I know it's pricey, but are there reasons you haven't tried it?  Thanks, again.

@I like celery 

Maybe I would have considered it if the hair lasers didn't work for me. Since I've had my hair grow back using my CapillusPro, I'm fine with that and I find there's no need to do anything further. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

my aunt recently got a hair topper and loves it for her thinning hair on top.  after checking into other things like rogaine, she decided that many products had too many chemicals.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

@I like celery 

@I like celery 

Maybe I would have considered it if the hair lasers didn't work for me. Since I've had my hair grow back using my CapillusPro, I'm fine with that and I find there's no need to do anything further. Woman Happy

Thanks, @SilleeMee .  I trust your opinion, and wanted to see if you had any reservations about this procedure.  Thanks for always sharing your knowledge. Smiley Happy 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

You're welcome @I like celery . 

Honored Contributor

One of my cousins has a weave.. looks great.

Mine has thinned slightly. I use Thicker Fuller Hair products. Shampoo, conditioner, etc their complete line and totally satisfied with results. And an appropriate haircut makes a big difference.
Valued Contributor

Nicksmon, I use the Womens foam. It is 5%. The liquid for women is 2% (I think). I think they increase the strength in the foam because its so aerated.

When I first started, I used the liquid but hated it. It runs down your face and scalp.

I then discovered the foam and that doesn't run.

Valued Contributor

Angel, Rogaine is not an antibiotic!

It is actually a blood pressure medication which was found to grow hair. It is a topical serum that stimulates the hair follicles and grows hair.

Regular Contributor

I have finally found something that has worked for me. It's called Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides and I get it at Costco. I just use one scoop a day in my coffee and I also take Natures Bounty Extra Strength Hair, Skin and Nails-also get that at Costco. This has made such a difference in my hair that many people of noticed.( My hair had thinned so much that my scalp would get sunburned). This combo also makes my nails grow like crazy, but you have to give it time to really work. The Vital Proteins Collagen is $29 at our Costco.