Honored Contributor

Thinning Hair --- what works?

I know there have been posts on this in the past.  I am now having an issue with thinning and hair loss.  This has gradually happened to me.  After having a huge mop of hair my whole life, I find that my hair is getting very thin and fragile!  I notice especially a spot on the top of my head near where my bangs start where you are starting to be able to see my scalp!  Very upsetting!  DH says its not that noticeable because my hair is light, but I think it is.  And - I am afraid it will keep getting worse!  I seem to be losing a lot of hair -- combing, brushing, washing, etc. 

I don't want to use any chemical things -- rogaine, etc., are there any products --- shampoos, conditioners,etc. which seem to help?

I noticed a brand called Viviscal and read about it and wondered if anyone had used this?

I take Biotin regularly and have for a long time, and take many other vitamins and minerals.  I am on several medications and have gone through menopause many years ago.  So, I'm sure these things have all played a part in this.  

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions for products, etc.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Thinning Hair --- what works?

I've had thinning hair most of my life. I have not taken Viviscal. That product is not intended to make new hair but it says it "promotes existing hair growth". It does that with horsetail silica, biotin, marine animal cartilage and some other supps. For me personally, the price of Viviscal is too high for these kinds of ingredients and I can find better.

What has made my hair grow back is a hair laser device, a CapillusPRO cap with 270 laser lights in it. That treats the top of my head where most of my thinning happens. I use a Hairmax-9 comb to treats the sides of my head where the cap doesn't reach. Between using those two laser devices 3X weekly, my hair has come back. It will never be like it was when I was 20 but now I don't have to use any fill-in scalp powders and such any more.

I also take a silica supp (bamboo silica extract powder) and that has kept my hair and bones healthy and strong. This kind of silica has been shown to work better than horsetail silica, the one found in Viviscal.

Other supps which may improve hair follicle health include phytoceramides and marine collagen. These things promote hair growth by providing the follicles with some of the things they use to produce hair itself.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I took your suggestion and ordered the Bamboo silica long ago.  I can attest to the effectiveness.  I've considered the cap especially when it was offered at Costco.  Researching I found that it can be effective (as in your case), but it depends on the reason why you are losing your hair.  So I haven't bit the bullet on the cap.  There is still room for improvement.  (Of course, we know diet, exercise, stress, and sleep are first line defenses.)  I just want to thank you for your suggestion Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same issue of thin spot by bangs, thinning hair and hair loss.

The thin spot is gone. I have a lot of new hair growth. My hair is to the middle of my back. I still think a lot falls out. Maybe it just looks that way because it's so long.

I do a lot of things. I use the Hair Max Laser Comb 2 to 3 days a week.

From the big A:Cayenne Hair Loss Scalp Treatment. DHT Blocker, Organic Hair Growth Oil For Hair Thinning Prevention Postpartum Alopecia Saw Palmetto Capsaicin, 4 oz. (2-3 times a month)

I take Vivascal (on and off) and other hair & skin supplements.

I rinse my hair with cold water after washing. I don't comb it until it's completely dry.  I use a microfiber hair towel and don't rub. I try to wash once or twice a week.

hmmm, I think that's all. LOL  it's a lot.

It seems to me if I stop any one of those things for a bit, the progress stops.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I seem to always chime in on this question, because I have had great success with the Hairmax 9 comb.  I'm now 57 but noticed thinning along the front of my hairline/temple area several years ago.  I bought the Hairmax as a TSV when it had a 6-month return policy so in case it didn't help me, I could return it.  Thank goodness it helped!  I took before and after pics, which I will post here.  (I'm being very brave by doing this as the pics are not the best nor the most flattering...lol)  ETA:  This was after 4.5 months of 3x a week usage. August 11 collage.jpg

Respected Contributor

Temple area:

Unknown2.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've had thinning hair most of my life. I have not taken Viviscal. That product is not intended to make new hair but it says it "promotes existing hair growth". It does that with horsetail silica, biotin, marine animal cartilage and some other supps. For me personally, the price of Viviscal is too high for these kinds of ingredients and I can find better.

What has made my hair grow back is a hair laser device, a CapillusPRO cap with 270 laser lights in it. That treats the top of my head where most of my thinning happens. I use a Hairmax-9 comb to treats the sides of my head where the cap doesn't reach. Between using those two laser devices 3X weekly, my hair has come back. It will never be like it was when I was 20 but now I don't have to use any fill-in scalp powders and such any more.

I also take a silica supp (bamboo silica extract powder) and that has kept my hair and bones healthy and strong. This kind of silica has been shown to work better than horsetail silica, the one found in Viviscal.

Other supps which may improve hair follicle health include phytoceramides and marine collagen. These things promote hair growth by providing the follicles with some of the things they use to produce hair itself.

@SilleeMeeWould you be willing to tell me where you get the silica supp..thank you

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SilleeMee   I took your suggestion and ordered the Bamboo silica long ago.  I can attest to the effectiveness.  I've considered the cap especially when it was offered at Costco.  Researching I found that it can be effective (as in your case), but it depends on the reason why you are losing your hair.  So I haven't bit the bullet on the cap.  There is still room for improvement.  (Of course, we know diet, exercise, stress, and sleep are first line defenses.)  I just want to thank you for your suggestion Smiley Happy

You're welcome! Woman Happy @phoenixbrd  That's wonderful the bamboo powder is working out for you!  About that laser cap...yes, I realize it's a big monetary investment. I figured if I divided up the cost per use over time, then that price tag doesn't seem to be such a large amount. It's a once-in-a-lifetime purchase and the sooner you start then the better the chances are of regaining some of your hair back. Remember...once a hair follicle shrinks and goes away then there is nothing which can be done to revive it...sad but true.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue...always a thick head of hair until menopause.  It's still very thick in the back, but thinning a lot in the bang area.  I have taken Biotin for about 5 years...no big difference on my thin spot, but hair everywhere else lol!

i know you said no Rogaine.  However, that has made a difference for me.  My hairdresser suggested using  men's Rogaine just on that thin area, morning and night.  I've been using it since February, and there has been renewed hair growth in that area.  I plan to keep using it.  I use the generic kind I purchased at CVS.

Good luck finding something you are comfortable using.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know there have been posts on this in the past.  I am now having an issue with thinning and hair loss.  This has gradually happened to me.  After having a huge mop of hair my whole life, I find that my hair is getting very thin and fragile!  I notice especially a spot on the top of my head near where my bangs start where you are starting to be able to see my scalp!  Very upsetting!  DH says its not that noticeable because my hair is light, but I think it is.  And - I am afraid it will keep getting worse!  I seem to be losing a lot of hair -- combing, brushing, washing, etc. 

I don't want to use any chemical things -- rogaine, etc., are there any products --- shampoos, conditioners,etc. which seem to help?

I noticed a brand called Viviscal and read about it and wondered if anyone had used this?

I take Biotin regularly and have for a long time, and take many other vitamins and minerals.  I am on several medications and have gone through menopause many years ago.  So, I'm sure these things have all played a part in this.  

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions for products, etc.  Thanks! 

Good morning @AngelPuppy1 . I don't like taking meds for this issue. Hair does tend to thin naturally with menopause. It's made worse with hair color, styling tools and frequent blow drying. To combat that, I deep condition a few times a week. I find that thickening products have worked well for me. I use Bumble Bumble Thickening Spray on the roots in thinning areas while hair is wet, Got To B Thickening Mousse and if needed afterwards, Bumble Bumble makes a Dryspun Texture Spray. I use this in a few areas, lifting the hair and spraying underneath for lift. At my temples, when I wear my hair parted, I use Joan Rivers Good Hair Day in White. It does stay on until shampooed out and does not transfer to hands or clothes.