Honored Contributor

Thinning Hair on ONE Side of My Head

It's on the side I sleep on.  It's been thinner for a few years.  I don't see hair on my silk pillow case.  I see very few hairs in the tub after washing my hair.  I don't see an excess of hair on the bathroom floor when I'm vacuuming.  Where is it going?? lol  Can anyone give me some ideas on what to use to grow it back?  Is there a likelihood that it won't grow back?  I don't use a comb or brush on my head when I'm styling my hair.  It remains thick and healthy looking, just thinner on the side I sleep on.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Thinning Hair on ONE Side of My Head

@monicakm 

I have hair like that.  I use WEN Botanical scalp treatment and it really helps.  I do see new growth on the side that seems to be less full.  It doesn't happen overnight, so consistency with use is key to success.  This month QVC actually has a duo of the scalp treatment/brow serum

CFAD623B-70CA-4952-BADC-B4EB593EC097.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

YAY!  Thank you for the suggestion.  Do you use it all over or just the side that's thin?

Honored Contributor

I have some of this from The Ordinary.  I've had it for months but haven't used it.  I don't know if it actually grows hair or gives the appearance of fuller thicker hair.  It says "aiding in the look of thicker, fuller hair." so that tells me it's not actually fuller and thicker.  Has anyone used this?

Aqua (Water), Propanediol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Caffeine, Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Larix Europaea Wood Extract, Pisum Sativum Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Triticum Vulgare Germ Extract, Glycine Soja Germ Extract, Trifolium Pratense Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Apigenin, Oleanolic Acid, Arginine, Glycine, Calcium Gluconate, Zinc Chloride, Lactic Acid, Gluconolactone, Dextran, Maltodextrin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan gum, Pentylene Glycol, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Polysorbate 20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.

The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density #1

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hair thinning on the side you sleep on is very common.  The Ordinary Hair Peptides Serum nightly would probably be your least expensive option to try first, along with some scalp stimulation.  Next would be to add the Tweak'd Jatamansi Scalp Serum for daytime. If needed, you could graduate to a laser cap or helmet.  The one I use is the Theradome EVO Helmet.  I use a combination of all of these.  The TO serum is an actual treatment, not a styling product. 

16B52D19-24FE-4326-86B4-74A1C4D86180.jpeg

03ABFDA9-9322-4AF3-BA57-83A52321A112.jpeg    

5DE07A2E-B80C-449D-B5C5-C30A175E41C7.jpeg

E7E638F6-00B2-4B62-BF60-724B400E94E3.jpeg   

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I use it only on the side that is thinner.  An added bonus is it seems to really pump up the volume.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm .............My hair has always been thicker on the left side of my head since I can remember.  Its normal for me.

Stress can cause temporary hair loss and you have been under a lot of stress lately.  I think since you are not seeing hair on your pillow or in the shower drain it is from natural causes.

You might Google hair loss and see what you come up with.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Not sure if your style has a part, but I change parts from side to side monthly just to reduce friction from styling. Also the side underneath the parted sid.e will naturally be thinner since more hair is combed over to the other side. 

You're already using a silk pillowcase which is good, so the only other thing I'd suggest is shampooing less and also trying less heat styling. 

Some hair loss is a natural process...shedding to let other follicles produce hair. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not saying that yours is but sometimes there's a thing called traction hair loss (traction alopecia) and it's caused from wearing your hair pulled up or back (even lightly) which makes hair follicles have stress, they get inflamed and then the hair falls out gradually enough where you don't notice it until your hair gets really thin. 

ETA-

I'm going through traction hair loss right now. I was wearing my long hair up in a loose top knot at night just to keep my hair away from my face. I did that for a few years until my hair started thinning in areas from the traction. Not wearing it up any more!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm , minoxidil has helped me, and saw new growth.  I purchased the mousse,  from Amazon,  2 cans.

I just hated the sticky film it leaves,  so I used it at night time, then shampoo next day.  I haven't reordered it...but it does help.  Apply carefully to roots only, and keep away from face.   I also use a couple of shampoos containing Biotin...it said to help.  

Recently my hair started falling again...I believe it's a shedding phase this time, but already see a bit of thinning on the temples.😑