Honored Contributor

Thinking of going to a light brown eye liner

Black is looking to harsh on me now. I like using pencils better than liquid. It just is easier for me to steer it where it has to go. I have brown eyes, dark ones, wonder if a lighter shade of brown is better than a darker one. I don't want it to be almost black either. I think light would be more natural. Or I just may do just mascara and no eye liner. I do like shadow though.

What do you think lighter or darker brown. I'm pretty pale and do have to use blush too.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, if you have any.

Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of going to a light brown eye liner

I'm not sure, but I would think either would work for you. The light brown liner could be made darker, with either more pencil or shadow applied over it, if the light brown shade washed you out.

Valued Contributor

Actually, I like black on my green mid-50 eyes, just using a light line, right in the lashes. I think it defines my eyes without looking harsh. That said, I'm wearing Bobbi Brown pencil in scotch today, a pretty bronze brown. I just dint do a thick Line anymore as I think that was looking harsh on me.
Super Contributor

I don't like black for me either. Too harsh. I just picked up a liner by Urban Decay in ""Scorch."" It's bronze and a little metallic looking but it's just enough color for my pale skin tone.

Contributor

Hi,

I would try a lighter brown eye liner. I have medium brown eyes and love olive green and "bronzy" colors. Both look neutral to me (not garish). I also like charcoal grey and plum. These are all softer than black. (I'm pale with dark brown hair and have always felt that black was too harsh on me.)

Hope this helps!

Angie

Honored Contributor

I'd go a with a darker but not almost black shade of brown applied close to the base of your lashes. A light brown liner could potentially make your eye look a bit tired.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I hate black on me. I have light brown eyes and I prefer dark blue (navy) or even purple on me. Another good one is a cheapo Bronze color I got in CVS....can't remember the name and too lazy right now to get up and look. Milani maybe?

ETA....just got up....it's Wet N' Wild. And I have a Tarte shadow that I love..it came in a kit...it's a little pot, called Shimmering Taupe. Great color for any eye color IMO.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

I have dark brown eyes also, quality. I've changed from black to lighter colors, and it didn't work to define my eyes. Instead, I've found that going to tightlining solves the problem and looks prettier. This way I can use black, brown, charcoal, navy, grape, almost all of the dark ones. When you tightline, it just defines the eye w/o making the eye look deep and hard.

Respected Contributor

I have dark brown eyes and I gave up using black eyeliner years ago when a makeup artist said brown is much more prettier than black and she was right have been using brown eye liner since. I use a dark brown eye liner but you can make it as light or dark as you want. I also wear navy blue, olive green, purple. I stay away from plum as it has too much red in it for me.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies, I'll take it all under advisement.