Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting my hair and going grey

If you feel brave enough and think you are ready, go for it! You can always color it again if you hate the gray.  What will you do about the rest of the color until it all grows out??  I let my color go but I had fairly light hair to begin with so it was not that noticeable at all and in fact, I even got asked a few times who colored my hair that way as they loved it!  Good luck with what you decide!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

I vote for ..........cut it.   One of the QVC model, Phyllis, I envy her pure white short hair.  It's beautiful and fits her age.  Short hair is so much easier to take care of instead of long stringy no shape thingy.

Cut  properly you'll feel like a million bucks.

I've never colored my hair, and now at 87 it is white all over. I have always loved white hair, I think your makeup is more striking with it.. I have always worn my hair just to my collar. I think long hair is terrible on an older person, it's really for when were young. I'd vote to let it go white, my niece did and she loves hers after years of useing dyes.

@HLP   Not sure I agree about long hair on older women...but very long hair is tough. It's usually thinned out with age and can lose it's shine. I think "longish" hair that is kept conditioned and has shine and a good shape can be quite attractive.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Sometimes when going grey, cutting it shorter when you have 3"-6" of grey roots may be the easiest way to go. Then grow it longer from there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I think your hair looks nice in your picture, but if you ever wanted to try something new, now's a good time since a lot of us aren't out and about anyway and you can see how you like it. 

@GenXmuse   I agree. When I realized lastMarch that this semi-lockdown may be "it" for awhile, I figured I'd grow out my pixie and my layers to a medium bob. It's fun having something different and I trim it straight off at the bottom myself. I'm not comfortable going to the salon yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kelsey17 wrote:

I say definitely cut your hair......i recently went shorter and it has been so much easier...............but ... i personally wouldn't stop coloring your hair.............some friends i have had decided to go grey and although some women do look lovely with grey hair.........i feel the grey also makes one look older............

@kelsey17  .....BUT if you are older, somtimes it's more aging to hold on to the dyed hair. Aging hair that's been colored for so many years can be dry and damaged. That's aging.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great time to try it @I am still oxox .  You can always color it and it can grow out if you don't like it short or gray. If you don't work, you are not around people who you'll feel scrutinized by. 

Respected Contributor

My hair is colored darkest brown and in a medium chunky bob. The minute I retire I am going to stop coloring ( ive been going gray since 22). My roots before I do them look silvery. I will get it cut in a very modern wackadoodle spikey fringey cut or keep my chunky Bob to retain youthfulness and perhaps even buy hair chalk in multi colors and have a ball with it. I've seen this online.  I love how it defies "old lady" but rather defines "fun energy". 

Trusted Contributor

As we age our skin gets lighter from losing its pigment when you continue to dye your hair very dark it looks very fake and actually ages you when you are old. Of course it depends on each person, but if you have ever seen a little ol' lady with jet black hair and a pasty wrinkled complexion you know what I mean. Also, what is it with that really fake looking dark red hair that a lot of older women sport? Around here we have ladies with three hairs on their head and they dye it that awful red only seen in tropical flowers? The closest you can get to your natural tones is usually best, especially when your skintone is not as robust as it once was. 

It is also important to note that dark hair dye is known to cause cancer. 

Honored Contributor

What counts is how you feel about grey, short hair. Some feel it ages a woman and others love it and call it authentic and freedom from dye. It is completely individual and probably why that saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"describes it best to me.

As far as short hair, there is a vast difference between a pixie and a mid length bob. A pixie will bring emphasis to your features and jawline. Some women need more hair because they don't want the scrutiny a very short hairstyle will bring.

Unfortunately, over the years this topic of to dye or not to dye often becomes heated. For myself, I think that's because people refuse to acknowledge there is a middle ground. Dark, dyed all one shade haircolor is difficult to pull off but highlighting and going a bit lighter can be an alternative to going grey. Short hair maybe but it need not be extreme. Extremes in color and length are where I believe a wig is easier before a drastic change @I am still oxox .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My hair is almost black naturally with no grays. I'm 65.  It's just past my shoulders and I cut it myself using a hair cutting guide clippy thing. I've thought about taking a pair of shears and cutting it really short, very close to a long buzzhead style. The problem with that is my hair is not that thick meaning I don't have a lot of hairs on my scalp. So if I cut it close to my scalp you'll see my scalp very easily and in contrast to my black hair, that could not be very attractive. But I still want to do it b/c that way it will be easier to take care of.