Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting my hair and going grey

@Flatbush wrote:

I had thought about going grey, until I could'n't get to the hair salon for about 5 months. When I looked in the mirror, I found it hard to see all that grey around my face. I was so uncomfortable about it, that I started to wear a hat to cover my hair up and not wearing make up. I felt depressed.

As soon as I could get the color , I was more comfortable about looking in the mirror and putting on make up. I just feel more like myself, if you know what I mean.

@Flatbush I hear ya! I look (& act! Woman Wink) younger than my years - most think I'm late 40's early 50's and I'm 62. But with this grey near my face? Not so much anymore!

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My hair is long and dark with almost 3 inches of grey roots due to me not being about to get to the salon due to a hip replacement.

There is a part of me that wants to cut it short and let my grey shine

Am I nuts

WHy not?  I say!  If you don't like it you can always color and grow it out some.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   If you're nuts, join the crowd!  Right now gray hair is in.  Women of all ages are wearing it with pride.

I stopped coloring my hair 16 years ago and never looked back.  It is so freeing.  I needed a retouch every 3 weeks and always had a skunk stripe at my part.  I cut my hair short until it grew out and liked the short hair so much that I kept that cut for years....I needed a haircut every four weeks to keep it neat.

Then I tried a Suzi Orman style for a few years and loved it.  When the pandemic hit, I stopped getting haircuts.  My salt and pepper hair is now past my shoulders....My hair grows super fast.  I did trim it myself a few times to keep it even.

Women are letting their gray hair shine in record numbers now.  It's not for everyone, but if you are leaning in that direction, don't let anyone talk you out of it by saying you will look old, etc.  That might be their opinion, but it certainly isn't everyone's.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I vote for cutting it off and leaving it gray.

I did the same COVID project too. I haven't highlighted my hair since last February and I have had it cut into a shoulder-length one-length bob. I am 55 but I don't have one single gray hair, but my hair's natural color is so much darker than I suspected. I am at peace with it though. One of the best perks is that I can wear less makeup because the blonde was washing me out.

Wow!  no gray hair at 55!!  You lucky girlWoman LOL  Just today while getting my hair colored (gray roots covered) and a cut I was talking about how my hair texture when it grows out is so wire like and THIN.  The coloring makes my hair fuller so that is the biggest reason I would kept coloring it.  I have had to color my gray since I was 46....10yrs now.  I think I must be 60% or more gray in most areas.  If it wasn't so thin...frizzy/curly.

Then looking across the room another lady today had the most thick and beautiful iron gray hair.  My stylist told me they put low lights in her hair...it looked so good.  But her genes gave her very thick wavy gorgeous hair to begin with.  

Esteemed Contributor

I say definitely cut your hair......i recently went shorter and it has been so much easier...............but ... i personally wouldn't stop coloring your hair.............some friends i have had decided to go grey and although some women do look lovely with grey hair.........i feel the grey also makes one look older............

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alternatively, short hair is much easier to color yourself, which is sort of a middle ground... That would be my choice...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

First of all will you like the way you look with short hair? How could anyone tell you to cut it without knowing you? Part of the reason I color my hair is that it gives my hair lots of body, which I need. What will the texture of your hair be when you stop coloring it?Nothing worth having is easy. 

Honored Contributor

I think your hair looks nice in your picture, but if you ever wanted to try something new, now's a good time since a lot of us aren't out and about anyway and you can see how you like it. 

Valued Contributor

I've always had natural platinum hair, but when I got older some silver starting showing up. It kind of blends in. I have decided I'm not comfortable going to a salon since COVID started, so I have cut my own hair. O.M.G. what fun!!! What's weird is my hair actually looks quite modern with its short, choppy look. I will be saving a lot of money from now on. 

Honored Contributor

If ever there was a time, it's now. With three inches of gray already showing, I say cut it short and let it grow out before deciding on a final style. I bet you'll love it.