Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting my hair and going grey

@SilleeMee ..this color is from L'Oreal Sun Kissed Caramels UL51, high lift Natural Brown. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Trinity11 . I will take note of that color. It looks very nice to me.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I'm not that experienced with color, but do know it takes bleach to go any lighter and why would you dye it the same color if you have no grey?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   I'm not that experienced with color, but do know it takes bleach to go any lighter and why would you dye it the same color if you have no grey?

She wants to lighten it slightly @Shanus . High lift dyes you don't need bleach and will end up with lighter hair.  It will add volume. I like using a shade close to my natural hair color ..the little grey I have goes platinum blonde and the rest stays a tawny blonde shade. It looks highlighted without all the work...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

She wants to lighten it slightly @Shanus . High lift dyes you don't need bleach and will end up with lighter hair.  It will add volume. I like using a shade close to my natural hair color ..the little grey I have goes platinum blonde and the rest stays a tawny blonde shade. It looks highlighted without all the work...

@Trinity11   I'd still consult a stylist/colorist

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   If you have black hair and want to make it lighter, you will have to bleach it to a very light shade of pale yellow before you can apply a lighter color without the red.

Black hair will go through seven stages to get it to platinum . The stage after black is brown-red, then red, then red-orange, then orange, bright gold, pale yellow then platinum.  It's not easy, nor is it fast.

You are not going to get a non red shade from a box color.  You must use powder bleach on the hair shaft and oil bleach near the scalp.

My natural birth color is black and I did this once.  My hair was fried and I hated the color.  In order to go back to my black color, I had to dye my hair red first and then black.

If you try to put black color over yellow hair, you get green hair.

You would need a professional to do it correctly.  I would just use hair crayons or spray in color for fun highlights.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be able to color my hair by myself so I think I would have to go and have it done at a salon. But it's good to know that I wouldn't have to bleach my hair to get it to a slightly lighter shade plus my hair could use some volume. It's fairly flat and heavy. Even when it was shorter it was flat because my hair has heavy strands which I think is typical for Asians to have.

@Shanus 

@Trinity11 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee   If you have black hair and want to make it lighter, you will have to bleach it to a very light shade of pale yellow before you can apply a lighter color without the red.

Black hair will go through seven stages to get it to platinum . The stage after black is brown-red, then red, then red-orange, then orange, bright gold, pale yellow then platinum.  It's not easy, nor is it fast.

You are not going to get a non red shade from a box color.  You must use powder bleach on the hair shaft and oil bleach near the scalp.

My natural birth color is black and I did this once.  My hair was fried and I hated the color.  In order to go back to my black color, I had to dye my hair red first and then black.

You would need a professional to do it correctly.  I would just use hair crayons or spray in color for fun highlights.

@Carmie 

I am definitely not going to attempt coloring my own hair. That would be disastrous. Going to a salon would be the thing to do for me. I couldn't live with myself if I ruined my hair with bleach.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

What about high lift dye @Carmie ? I have seen some friends go lighter with no red with this type of product....very dark brunette hair. No damage, shiny long beautiful hair.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie 

I am definitely not going to attempt coloring my own hair. That would be disastrous. Going to a salon would be the thing to do for me. I couldn't live with myself if I ruined my hair with bleach.

Just ask around @SilleeMee for a good colorist. I went to a salon once where they burnt my scalp and my hair took 2 years to grow out.